Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #1

X17z new axle upgrade

Thinking of upgrading x17z axle. Anyone done it? 3000 pound axle just isn't enough.
ashmanbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:46 AM   #2

While that may be much better in terms of what the trailer can handle, i wonder if you got pulled over for some reason and weight checked it would fly? i imagine they would just look at the factory specs, but i am curious about how this would work.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Just look at your GVWR, I think you wouldn't gain anything. Unless you have a reason to do this which you didn't state?
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Just look at your GVWR, I think you wouldn't gain anything. Unless you have a reason to do this which you didn't state?
The GVWR is 3500. The axle is 3000 lbs. I have a WD hitch. The trailer sticker says 3046 pounds. So adding the battery, propane, then you have little room for CCC. I have read all the posts about the X17Z and limited CCC and the poor design of the weight limitations.
Doesn't upgrading the axle at least buy me some safety for the axle when loaded to the GVWR and save my tires which are wearing quick and appear to be overloaded by the wear on the inside tread? I can do this for under a $1000, that's a lot cheaper than a new TT.
I understand, I still have to consider the frame limitations, but I would feel a lot safer with an upgraded axle (5200lb), hubs/brakes and wheel/tires. Am I missing something that I don't understand.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #5

i was curious about this too, but hadnt came across anyone who has done it. I was going to wait until my warrenty expired on the axle i was going to go to a 3500# just for peace of mind about being so close to GVWR
Leedawg84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #6

I'm not convinced that upgrading the axle would increase your CCC. You'd be assuming the frame can handle the additional weight.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I'm not convinced that upgrading the axle would increase your CCC. You'd be assuming the frame can handle the additional weight.
I don't think he wants to increase the CCC, more so just to have a little bit of a safer ride with less stress on a bare minimum axle setup.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
That is correct JM9301. I just want to have a safer ride, save my tires and not stress my axle. I will still do my best to stay within the CCC limit, I understand the frame limitation. But my current rig with the WDH and cargo appears to be stressing my axle because my tires are indicating inside wear (and I do check the air pressure every trip).

Doc/JM- What do you think? any words of wisdom on why I should not upgrade my axle say at least to 3500lb? I want to make the right move here. Just trying not by another TT, and then have to upgrade my TV too.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #9

Are you putting the tongue weight into consideration? Do you have 15% of the total trailer weight on the tongue? That would be 3500 X 15%, which equals 525 pounds. That would put 2975# on the axle when the trailer is fully loaded.

I agree that it's cutting it close, but that's what trailer manufacturers do to increase profits.

Have you had the axle checked to see if it's bent? That's a possibility.

I think axle shops can increase the bend in an axle to change the orientation of the tires to the road (when the trailer is loaded) so they don't wear.

I'd talk to an axle shop before buying a new heavier axle. Could be that a minor adjustment and few hundred bucks could fix your problem.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:49 AM   #10

I agree with SmokerBill, i would talk to an axle shop about it before going ahead with something like this. I have seen a fair amount of people doing the axle flip mod as well, perhaps that would solve your woe's without making a drastic change.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:49 AM   #11

To the OP...before swapping the axle, there might be other issues causing abnormal tire wear like axle misalignment, suspension component wear, bearing issues, air pressure not at max, or maybe just old tires starting to weaken on the sidewall (check mfr date stamped on sidewall).
Old 04-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #12

I also agree about consulting an axle expert. You might be spending more time and money than you need to for little gain.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Are you putting the tongue weight into consideration? Do you have 15% of the total trailer weight on the tongue? That would be 3500 X 15%, which equals 525 pounds. That would put 2975# on the axle when the trailer is fully loaded.

I agree that it's cutting it close, but that's what trailer manufacturers do to increase profits.

Have you had the axle checked to see if it's bent? That's a possibility.

I think axle shops can increase the bend in an axle to change the orientation of the tires to the road (when the trailer is loaded) so they don't wear.

I'd talk to an axle shop before buying a new heavier axle. Could be that a minor adjustment and few hundred bucks could fix your problem.
Thanks JM and Doc, I am taking the TT to an axle place, so before I replace I will have them check the axle, tires, and see what they say...maybe they can adjust.
To Smokerbill: I try to take the tongue weight into account but I don't know what the actual tongue weight is. Spec says 400 lb., So I thought my WDH would transfer some of that to the axle. Have to have the WDH because my 4runner needs it to run level. That's another thing I learned the hard way, the 4runner is not designed for a 400 lb tongue weight.
Thanks everyone for the help! Really appreciate it.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #14

Weighed everything in trailer and trailer separate

So I weighed the trailer, 3500 lbs., weighed trailer hitched w/o car weight, 2960. Weighed everything I have in the trailer 220 lbs. battery 46 lb. sticker says 3046 w full p ropane tanks. So conservatively I am missing 200 lbs of weight. Beginning to wonder if trailer as I bought it, unloaded weighs more than the sticker says. So I am running at limits of trailer and axle even though my stuff doesn't weigh enough to do that! E Ben if the sticker weight doesn't include the AC, that is only 100 lbs.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #15

I had concerns as well about the ccc so I called my sales rep . Unfortunatly it was way to expensive to upgrade to theX19H, his suggestion was to upgrade to a 4500 lb axcel . He said the frame on the x17z is identical to the x19H so it should be no problem carrying the extra weight.
Before I do that I will check with an expert to make sure that's the right choice to make, not that I don't trust a salesman that sold me a trailer that can't carry anything.
Ronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronco View Post
I had concerns as well about the ccc so I called my sales rep . Unfortunatly it was way to expensive to upgrade to theX19H, his suggestion was to upgrade to a 4500 lb axcel . He said the frame on the x17z is identical to the x19H so it should be no problem carrying the extra weight.
Before I do that I will check with an expert to make sure that's the right choice to make, not that I don't trust a salesman that sold me a trailer that can't carry anything.
My axle guy says they come in standard increments like 3500 next then next is 6000 ish. I'm upgrading to 3500 of in a month for about $500-600. The 3500 pound is a simple replacement and I don't have to change tires, lift the trailer, etc. if I wanted to go more than 3500 pds.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmanbrian View Post
My axle guy says they come in standard increments like 3500 next then next is 6000 ish. I'm upgrading to 3500 of in a month for about $500-600. The 3500 pound is a simple replacement and I don't have to change tires, lift the trailer, etc. if I wanted to go more than 3500 pds.
Please share results. I emailed jayco to see if it is the same frame as the x19h. Hope it is I'd definitely like to upgrade to 3500lbs
Leedawg84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedawg84 View Post
Please share results. I emailed jayco to see if it is the same frame as the x19h. Hope it is I'd definitely like to upgrade to 3500lbs
It might be a couple of years yet . We just bought our x17z 2 months ago I"ll wait until the warranty expires or when we need new tires and Etc. Then bring it in .
I couldn't justify the costs to switch. to the 19h.
Ronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Interested to hear Jayco's response to your email, please share when you get an answer back. I went through the CAT scales on my last trip and was exactly at 3000 pounds on the trailer axle fully loaded. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to go back through the CAT scales with my WDH disconnected. I really love this little trailer and it would be pretty sweet to get some more CCC.
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/Sway Control
jsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Find it hard to believe it is the same frame. the 17 and 19 are different lengths, different number of axles, and different lines (at least in 2011, the 17 was a Feather Sport and the 19 was Feather Select).

We bought the 19H specifically because of CCC capacity. Our 1007 bent an axle because of the low CCC and one really good road bump (actually threw my bikes out of the carrier). We always ran the pup at the limit, and I can't really blame Jayco. We all want bigger trailers that tow with smaller vehicles. To keep the GTW down, the axles are often kept small, and the frames light weight.

This really struck home for me when I was looking for our 19H Hybrid. I hit my favorite local dealer (non-Jayco) and they had only one tiny hybrid trailer that our Traverse could tow. Why? Bullet proof frames and axles, and reasonable CCC's. Jayco makes a line of really nice lightweight TT's, but light weight comes with trade offs.

With all that said, by all means get the heavier axle. The added weight of the axle will not affect the frame capacity, and if you still keep the cargo reasonable you should be golden. Note: don't know the 17 very well, but my 19H doesn't actually have an axle that you can swap out. it has the Tor-Flex suspension, which is more integrate into the frame. No leaf springs and blocks like a normal TT.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote