Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2016, 06:06 AM   #1

x17z sewer hose - which one fits?

We're going on our maiden voyage in our 2013 x17z later today. When we finally brought the camper home from the dealer yesterday, I started loading things in. One thing I noticed is that the sewer hose I purchased does not fit into the compartment designed for it. The fittings on the ends of the hose are too big. I have time this morning to take the hose back to Walmart and get a different one that would fit. Which brand do you recommend? Here's a link to the one I have now:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Rev...it-20/23636862
Old 10-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #2

That's the exact hose I use in our 23F, assuming you have a square 4" bumper it should fit. It has to go in so that the bumps on the ends align with the corners of the square bumper tube, but at least in our case it fits fine. I did have to file down the tips of the screws that hold on the plastic bumper end cap to the bumper, though.
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoballscrewball View Post
That's the exact hose I use in our 23F, assuming you have a square 4" bumper it should fit. It has to go in so that the bumps on the ends align with the corners of the square bumper tube, but at least in our case it fits fine. I did have to file down the tips of the screws that hold on the plastic bumper end cap to the bumper, though.
In the X17Z, the sewer hose doesn't go in the bumper (wish it did) but rather in a channel that's accessed by a panel on the back of the camper. It's pretty small. I may try to file down the hose fitting at bit or get a hose holder for the bumper. Right now, the hose is in the storage compartment under my camper, and I don't like that too much. Could start to smell.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
In the X17Z, the sewer hose doesn't go in the bumper (wish it did) but rather in a channel that's accessed by a panel on the back of the camper. It's pretty small. I may try to file down the hose fitting at bit or get a hose holder for the bumper. Right now, the hose is in the storage compartment under my camper, and I don't like that too much. Could start to smell.
Should not smell if you rinse it out real well. Always empty grey water last to give it a soapy wash. After I unhook it and rinse it again if needed, I always shoot a blast of Lysol spray down mine.....just for good measures!
tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #5

You might consider the undermount fence post cover solution so many here use. Lots of threads that mention this excellent mod. Picture of mine below. The temporary zip tie mounts have now been replaced with metal strapping and bolts and a few more air/drainage holes drilled - was making sure I was happy with the position first. Keeps my hose right beside the outlet and holds the hose and accessories with room to spare.

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #6

Dealer gave us one of the cheaper hoses, it's was open on one side. I bought the camco elbow and attached it to the other side. It fits perfectly with the elbow in first as long as the 4 in one end is removed and yellow tighter lined with the elbow. I put the 4 in 1 part in a Rubbermaid shoebox in the front storage area. It will be very similar to this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Eas...ingMethod=p13n

This is the only part I need to buy but comes with above link:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Qui...ingMethod=p13n
Flash828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #7

X2 on the 5" vinyl fence post sleeve mod!!! Just make sure you get the 5", and not the 4" one. The 5" will allow you to have a (or a couple) 4" u-shaped gutter(s) inside as a tray, and to use if needed at full hook up sites as a support tray.

For the price that sewer hose kit is hard to beat. We have the same one.

Enjoy the maiden voyage!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
You might consider the undermount fence post cover solution so many here use. Lots of threads that mention this excellent mod. Picture of mine below. The temporary zip tie mounts have now been replaced with metal strapping and bolts and a few more air/drainage holes drilled - was making sure I was happy with the position first. Keeps my hose right beside the outlet and holds the hose and accessories with room to spare.
Yeah ... that may be where I'm going in the long run. I just can't see being able to find a hose that fits in that little channel they designed into the X17Z. Maybe I'll find something else to put in there.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #9

Not sure what the compartment looks like. Will it hold your campfire poker? Marshmallow sticks?

One other thought on this subject. Everyone suggests getting a clear elbow too. Just remember that they come in straight as well. With your pipe sitting only a couple of inches off the ground, an elbow really doesn't make a lot of sense (always have to orient left or right). I do really like my clear pipe so I know when the dump is really done, but straight is better for a small HTT.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Not sure what the compartment looks like. Will it hold your campfire poker? Marshmallow sticks?
Not a bad idea. I'd probably have to put them in a bag or something, and tie them off to the door, so they don't slide too far for me to reach. Something to think about.

Quote:
One other thought on this subject. Everyone suggests getting a clear elbow too. Just remember that they come in straight as well. With your pipe sitting only a couple of inches off the ground, an elbow really doesn't make a lot of sense (always have to orient left or right). I do really like my clear pipe so I know when the dump is really done, but straight is better for a small HTT.
The one I got has an elbow, but that elbow is opaque. I don't know any different (first time doing this) but it worked well enough for me at the camp dumping station.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #11

I forget the brand, but I bought a 10' hose on Amazon last year when we had a 17z and it fit in the compartment. It has a removable elbow to go into the ground and i stored that in a ziplock bag. But that compartment would not hold anything longer than 10', its short. I also used a straight clear coupler to make sure the tank was draining. It helps. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #12

I got the 15' version and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It curls up perfectly and fits right on top of the spare tire behind our propane tanks. I use a tie down strap to keep it from moving...and most importantly, it gets aired out.
madflava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by madflava View Post
I got the 15' version and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It curls up perfectly and fits right on top of the spare tire behind our propane tanks. I use a tie down strap to keep it from moving...and most importantly, it gets aired out.
That's an interesting idea. I'll look into that. The hose you linked to is more or less that I have. Mine is 20 inches long, but splits into two 10 inch hoses. So far I've only used half of the hose because the dump station at the park was pretty convenient.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
Not a bad idea. I'd probably have to put them in a bag or something, and tie them off to the door, so they don't slide too far for me to reach. Something to think about.

The one I got has an elbow, but that elbow is opaque. I don't know any different (first time doing this) but it worked well enough for me at the camp dumping station.
If a 4" u-shaped gutter will fit in the factory compartment, use that as a tray. If it's not open to one side then put a cut 2x4 piece of wood as a stopper at the end. If it opens on both ends, put the block in the center, and fire tongs and poker on the other side. Or put a block in the center and at the end to break up the tray for the hot dog forks and tongs/poker.

If the tray won't fit, cut it down a little until it does.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote