Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #1

X17z stabilizers

Hello. During our new owner orientation last Friday, we were told that you cannot use the stabilizer arms to assist with leveling the trailer. Specifically, the arms should not lift the trailer, rather they are meant to hold the trailer firm once it has been leveled.

I'm wondering how others level their trailers once they are on a campsite? Hydraulic jack?

Thanks!
OttawaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #2

You were told correct.

You need to level front to back and side to side. Use the tongue jack to level front to back and use Lynx blocks, or pieces of wood or what ever to drive the trailer on to level side to side. Use of a bubble level is a must have. Many use the stick on or screw on levels, one mounted on the front of the trailer and the other mounted to the side.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #3

To level side to side some use a product call Lynx, they are plastic Lego type blocks, that can be stacked. We use wood blocks; I have both 1” thick plywood and 2”x6”. I can pick and choose what to put under the wheels, then I use the others under the stabilizers.

It is true the stabilizers are only for stabilizing the HTT while parked. If I recall the 17Z only have two at the rear of the unit. You might want to bring along two more to install right in front of the wheels under the frame rails, this will help with the TT shacking while people are moving around.

Congratulations on your new HTT.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #4

The x17z has stabilizers at all 4 corners. Other than that I'll agree with what's been said here prior: level side to side with your choice of blocks, front to back with the jack. Just took our Z out for a weekend near Arrowhead Lake in CA!
ExLoonBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
If I recall the 17Z only have two at the rear of the unit.
Jayco "fixed" that in 2011. They added the front jacks and an outside shower. Both of which I had installed before I picked my Z up. The dealer did not have an "Jayco" rectangular sand pads, so they took my sand pads off and but BAL round pads on all the way around. My friend mytoys bought her Z a short time later and also had front jacks installed. She has my original rectangular sand pads on her Z.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #6

Lynx blocks and a BAL leveler work great on my 17Z. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-leveler/21017. Also have a couple 2x6's along just in case...
Old 06-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #7

What ever you do don't put any jacks under the frame. Like the
others said, tongue jack for front to back and wood blocks or those lynx jacks side to side.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #8

Interesting Thread. We level our 17z side to side with Lynx Blocks. Front to back we level the camper with the tongue jack using a level on the center of the floor of the TT. Once level, I lower the tongue just a couple of turns then drop my rear jacks on blocks of wood. I then raise the tongue back to level and drop my front jacks. This gives us less wiggle and seems to work well.

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #9

I agree! use the blocks to level side to side and then use the tong jack for front to back. I use http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...abilizer/34337 to stabilize my x17z and they work great!!
knuts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaBob View Post
Hello. During our new owner orientation last Friday, we were told that you cannot use the stabilizer arms to assist with leveling the trailer. Specifically, the arms should not lift the trailer, rather they are meant to hold the trailer firm once it has been leveled.

I'm wondering how others level their trailers once they are on a campsite? Hydraulic jack?

Thanks!
No need to use any hydraulic jack. It is supposed to "stabilize" the already leveled trailer. In other words, fore / aft leveling is done via the tongue jack and side to side leveling is done using Lynx Levelers or similar (or wood planks). With that done, then and only then are the stabilizers cranked down. What I do is crank each down in turn until it contacts the hard surface (tarmac) or Lynx Leveler. Then using one hand on the "shoulder" of the hand crank, I twist the crank maybe another 1/4 turn. That snugs it up nicely and even raises the corner maybe 1/4". Repeat 3 more times and you're done. Using the one handed method I am sure that I won't overstress the frame.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by go wild View Post
Lynx blocks and a BAL leveler work great on my 17Z. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-leveler/21017. Also have a couple 2x6's along just in case...
The X17Z is not too heavy for the BAL? I have one from my PUP but assumed I could not use it with this trailer.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
The X17Z is not too heavy for the BAL? I have one from my PUP but assumed I could not use it with this trailer.
No problems after 4 years...