Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #1

Thumbs down X17Z worst camper ever

I have a 2013 X17Z and it is the worst camper ever we got it new in may we had to have new pop outs put on it as soon as we got it had holes in tops it was like pulling teeth to get it fixed now the new tops leek got wet on second trip out now jayco is giving me a run around on fixing it and my local dealer don't wont to work on it ether I wish they would give me my money back will never buy another jayco now my vacation in 3 weeks is not going to happen and may not be able to happen cant drive 4 hrs to get wet any one with suggestions jaycos web site said customer satisfaction what a joke
delaneymedic315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #2

Welcome to JOF. Sorry for your problem. Did you properly "season" the tents of your pull-out?
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about your X17Z. Most who own the X17z like them.

Where are the leaks coming from, around the seams?

Maybe try some seam sealer and see if that takes care of the problem?

That or try some PUGS??

http://www.popupgizmos.com/bunkcoverpage.htm

Also saw a thread similar to yours and wmoses says he used scotchgard....

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ofing-bunkends

Jayco should help you since your camper is a 2013 and should be covered under the 2 year warranty? Also, have you contacted your dealer, they should help and I would start there.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #4

yes was seasoned I bought camper 3hrs away from home and my local jayco dealer did first warranty work but when I called them they said they don't sale it and wont servce it
Old 06-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #5

Can you describe your leak? And what was the overall conditions when it happened. I am assuming you where out camping. The reason I ask is the tent ends are known to have a condensation build up on the canvas especially at night. Leaky seams that is a different issue all together.

If it is condensation, that you are mistaken for a water leak, here is how I solved the problem. I open one of the tent end side windows just a few inches every night. I keep the opened portion in the high corner and just pull the canvas window cover away from the screen to encourage a little air flow. By doing it in an upper corner if it is raining it is protected from the rain and run off. Then I open my bathroom vent window a minimum of a ½ inch. Once we started this technique we have eliminated all of our condensation.

If it is a stitched seam that is leaking, I wish I had a good solution. I just posted this on another persons post that was having leaky seam issues. I am not sure it is a viable solution, but I think it would be worth a try.

Jaycoforum - leaking bunk end seams

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #6

it leeks at seals and where it attaches to camper at top it was raining but not heavy down pour but over 24 hrs rain totals were 7 10th of inch also what are PUGS
Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #7

PUGS stand for pop-up-gizmos.... Folks use them to help insulate the bunkends from the cold and hot weather. I think they also could offer some rain protection as well. Those who use 'em... love 'em.

Here's a link with pics and more info:

http://www.popupgizmos.com/bunkcoverpage.htm

By the way.... I would still call and talk to Jayco customer service and let them know there is a Jayco dealer that won't do warranty work. I'm sure Jayco would like to know this, they may give the dealer a call for you.

BTW, I also do what McFarmall suggests to eliminate condensation on the inside of the bunks.
Gerard
Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaneymedic315 View Post
yes was seasoned I bought camper 3hrs away from home and my local jayco dealer did first warranty work but when I called them they said they don't sale it and wont servce it
I am confused .... they did the warranty work then they said they won't service it?

This is a strange thread -- one post has no spaces, the issue seem to be short of details (photos would be nice) and PUGS are being suggested for a leak problem ....
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #9

Its unfortunate that RV warranties don't work like automotive. Dealers have no requirement to service or perform warranty work on units they didn't sell initially. I didn't buy locally for price reasons. I needed some minor warranty work and was told by the local dealer they would do it if I paid them for the work and worked with Jayco for reimbursement. I chose to tow the ~120 miles to my selling dealer.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #10

I would think Jayco would like to know about dealers that won't service their units. They get paid albet not the same labor rate they charge regular customers, but they do get paid. Larry
Old 06-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoses View Post
I am confused .... they did the warranty work then they said they won't service it?

This is a strange thread -- PUGS are being suggested for a leak problem ....
Wayne.... I suggested PUGS because while I know they aren't for waterproofing, I thought maybe they might offer some form of protection for the seams. If that is where his leaks are from, although I'm not sure.
Gerard
Old 06-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #12

Not good to hear about dealers not wanting to do warrantee work on units they didn't sell. I've had my WhiteHawk in for a couple of small things and the dealer was great. I bought mine at Indiana RV Connection in Middlebury. My local dealer does not seem to care. I have bought a lot of accessories from my LD so I guess that might make a difference.
4x4 6.0l v8
GBandPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #13

I'm pretty sure Jayco already knows that dealers don't like to service jayco units that they haven't sold because Gail in the Jayco office told me that's how it rolls!

Let me explain---bought a 2012 Swift 184BH spring 2012. It was totalled by hail this spring. We loved the floor plan and wanted another one. Our dealer did not have one, and said it would be 6 weeks or so before 2014's came in. During this time we had been in contact with Gail at the Jayco offices to ask what would happen if we kept the hail damaged camper--she advised against it and said it would no longer be covered by warrenty. Heart broken, we looked all around the Midwest and located a 184BH in Iowa. When I mentioned this to Gail---she advised against that, too, saying Jayco dealers are independent business owners and we would have trouble getting warrenty work done at,the local dealer ( where we bought the first camper.). I was told "we would be put at the bottom of the list" for any maintenance work, etc, till while regular customers were taken care of.

Obviously, being told this did not make me too happy (although in all things, Gail was very helpful). After searching the Internet several nights, I came across a new towable Winnebago---the winnebago Minnie 2101FBS (21 ft.). Also in Iowa.
Drove to Iowa and came home with the nicest, well built camper ever! It was $7000 more than the Jayco and worth every penny.

So, yea, unless you have an exceptional dealer, they do (and Jayco knows) drag their feet on service if they weren't the seller.

Replacement: 2013 Winnebago Minnie 2101FBS

2010 Honda Ridgeline
1988 Perris Pacer "Bean" (molded fiberglass camper)
PugMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #14

We have a 2012 X17Z and absolutely love it. We have had it out in all kinds of weather and it's a sound and water tight as can be.

Sure, camping at the beach we had a few condensation issues, but that's not leaking. So far Richardson's RV has been wonderful on a few minor warranty issues we have had.

So sorry you are not happy with yours, perhaps it was defective to start with? I am sure that happens on occasion.
gaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #15

Hmm... So a dealer, not the original dealer, did warranty work on the unit. If I understand correctly the new tenting fixed the original problem, but is now leaking at the top where it mounts to the trailer? It sounds to me like the dealer who made the repairs screwed up. They are the ones who should be on the hook to fix it. Let them know this, and ask them if they are comfortable building a reputation for shoddy work. Social media is a very powerful thing. Lean on Jayco too. For every person that blows you off at Jayco, ask for their superior. Make some noise. The squeaky wheel gets greased.

Jayco campers are not bad. We bought our 3rd new Jayco this past May. But nothing is free from defects. Its unfortunate that the RV industry is behind the times when it come to warranty work, but the only way to fix that issue is for customers to demand it be fixed. If we roll over and let them do this to us, it will never change.

BTW, please use punctuation on your posts. We all want to help you, but run on sentences are very hard to read.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Just ran into an issue with this, Jayco refuses to help unless a selling dealer looks at it first even for emergency issues. Our door locked us in the camper, it's the Dexter electronic system and I was forced to remove the unit and pull the locking pin both to get out but also to continue use of door... Called yesterday, they won't send me the replacement - nor can I get a mobile tech or RV repair, they will only send it to my selling dealer (RVDirect) or the nearest dealer (2 states away). Never had an issue like this with Crossroads or Forest River....
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #17

We had an issue with warranty work where we weren't able to get the work done at a 'local' dealer... so Jayco arranged for us to contact someone in our area to do warranty work (not a leak, but ours was a brake issue). This was back in 2010-ish but the word from Jayco back then was if you couldn't get to the dealer to do work, that the work could still be authorized. We also needed some parts that we weren't able to drive hours to the closest dealer to get, and Jayco sent them directly to us. Contact Jayco directly by phone as well as email. Hope this helps.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote