Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

X18d and or x19h

Is anyone pulling either of these trailers with a Honda Pilot? I have a 2011 and looking at both of these campers as possible buys. I was thinking about the X17 but leaning a little bigger if I can. thinking a little less gear for more space??

Let me know your experiences if you would,

Thanks

Jamie
jesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #2

I don't have a Honda Pilot, bit I picked the 19 h after looking a the 17. The 18 wasn't for me, I didn't need that side bunk. The 19 seems just right, not to small and not too big. I don't know the tow rating on a Pilot, so I can't comment on that. I do think I made the right decision going for the extra 2 feet. If your vehicle can pull it, and you can spend the extra money, I say go for it.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #3

Don't have a pilot but am pulling the 18d with Tacoma, 6500# rated and pulls easily.

Cheers
Roosterfish09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #4

If your tow rating is anything less than 5000lbs, I would suggest the lighter trailer. We have the 19h and tow it with a Toyota FJ Cruiser, which is rated for 5000lbs and I wouldn't want to tow it with anything less.
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnka trk View Post
If your tow rating is anything less than 5000lbs, I would suggest the lighter trailer.
x2
mtn_bikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #6

We dont have a pilot or the trailers that you are looking for, BUT we have a 2010 colorado truck rated to pull 5500. I spent almost a year searching and reading and checking and double checking what the truck was capable of towing. I must say it was very frustrating. We finally decided on a 23B GVWR of 4950. The unloaded weight on the website says 3790 but the actual unloaded weight will be listed on the actual trailer as the weight goes up once they start adding stuff like airconditioner etc. So make sure you look at the actual trailer for the weight. Our actual weight is 4250. So its actually 500 plus more then the weight listed on the website. We never tow with tanks full and travel light there is just the 2 of us and a small dog. Dont forget you have to take in consideration all passengers weight, gas in the pilot, luggage etc. So all that being said, yes my truck can pull the the 23B, RPMS never go past 3000. Slows down on hills and inclines. I don't like being so close to the towing rating on the truck and we will be upgrading the tow vehicle in the near future. Through all my research I did get some really good advice and that was take the trailer on a test run like you would a car, hook it up and take it for a drive. Good luck in your decision and no matter which floor plan you get you will love the Jayco!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #7

A good rule of thumb is to have 25-30% extra towing capacity. ie. if your towing capacity is 5000lbs, then the trailer weight should not exceed 3,500lbs, empty. This gives you room for all the stuff that sunstarsmoon mentioned in his post.
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #8

I agree, I have a Tacoma with 18d
mikebuyscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #9

I looked at both, and the 18 simply did not have enough storage room compared to the 19. I could have really used the extra bed, but it was not worth the loss of storage.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #10

We don't have a piolt but a Jeep Liberty and pull a X 19H with no problems.The Liberty is rated for 5000
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #11

Hi Jesway , we have a 2011 19H and pull with a tow rated V8 explorer at 7300 lb max .I'm guessing your Pilot's tow capacity is around 4500lb max, if that is accurate on my part then your Pilot would have it's hands full with the 19H for sure. The biggest factor to keep in mind is wind drag, driving into the wind with a near maxed TV is not fun. We have had our 19H weighed when loaded (propane tanks,battery,water,gear,etc....) and it came in at approx 4200lbs - add a canoe, bikes maybe - if so inclined, and you got yourself a maxxed out Honda Pilot ( again going on if your max tow capacity is 4500lbs). Our last trailer was a X17 equal and there is a significant difference between the two.We also looked at the 18D,but in the end we went with the 19H Select mostly for the couch and large fridge. With the properly equipped Pilot (sway bar,equalizer bars etc... ) its possible for sure , just give it alot of thought and a test pull before you buy from your dealer would be a great idea. No matter which you decide on , you will love your Jayco, I've been a camper my whole life (almost 50 now ) and this is my first Jayco and my favourite TT to date.Hope this helps !
Alex19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnka trk View Post
A good rule of thumb is to have 25-30% extra towing capacity. ie. if your towing capacity is 5000lbs, then the trailer weight should not exceed 3,500lbs, empty. This gives you room for all the stuff that sunstarsmoon mentioned in his post.
This is an excellent, simple explanation of how much your vehicle should tow,if you follow this rule of thumb, you will be safe.

We went back and forth between the 19h and the X17Z. I would have loved to have the larger trailer, but we tow with a Chevy Astro rated at 5000lbs, and we felt much safer with the smaller one. That being said, even though our TV has plenty of tow capacity for our Z, in the 14 months and 16 trips we have taken, we would like even more tow weight capacity, even with the Z. We intend to upgrade to a Chevy Express 2500 next year as it will have plenty of capacity to tow our Z, and would give us plenty of wiggle room if we did want to move up to the 19h.

I know people do it, but I am not even sure I'd be comfortable towing the Z with a vehicle that had a 3500 rating. Just a little too close for comfort for my taste.
gaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #13

We had a Tacoma with a 5500 towing capacity, picked up an X20e and was not happy the way it towed in the wind. Also when visiting the scales we were significantly over in payload. Tacoma was traded soon after.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
We had a Tacoma with a 5500 towing capacity, picked up an X20e and was not happy the way it towed in the wind. Also when visiting the scales we were significantly over in payload. Tacoma was traded soon after.
I think it's one of the lessons we all have to learn when we start towing. It comes down to having some reserve capacity. Most of us asked the question: Will this TV haul this TT. And in most cases the short answer is yes. What we should have asked is: Will it haul comfortably in all conditions, in all terrains, and not wear out prematurely. Which is another way of saying safely and economical.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #15

We have an X18D love the room when its all open but it does lack counter space. Pull it with a V6 Toyota Runner. Pulls easily up to about 70mph. After that the truck is really struggling to keep up speed. Took it out east last summer and was really wishing I had a bigger engine!

PS TTChamp is for a game we play.... had no idea it had a completely different meaning on this forum.
:confused:
TTChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #16

That's why I am glad I bought the Tundra with the 5.7, it's a great rig for the 19H. The tail won't wag the dog, and I have plenty in reserve.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #17

I have an 07 Tacoma Double cab with the 4.0 V6. It tows the X18D pretty nicely. I usually keep it at 65 MPH. It will tow at 70, but I can get it to stay in overdrive a lot more, use a little less fuel, I have reserve power and it just works well at that speed.
mikebuyscars is offline   Reply With Quote