Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #1

x19H dual battery drain

I have a 2015 x19h with 2 group 24 batteries installed from the dealer. If I fully charge them so they are at 12.64 using a volt meter that you plug into the dc outlet its down to 12.34 or so in the morning. That seems like a lot of drain. Is it?

I'm not using the furnace or anything else other than a few of the led lights for a few minutes and the fridge runs on propane which is a small load. Does that radio blue light run it down that much? I need to figure out how to turn that off. Does anyone else have similar issues?

Thanks
Barnaclepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi,
Welcome to the JOF Forum!!

Do you have a volt/ohm meter that you can use to measure the voltage right at the batteries? You will find that the digital meters that you plug into the 12VDC accessory outlet are close, but can be off a little. Any load in the TT will also have an effect on the displayed voltage. If you have a volt/ohm meter (Walmart has an inexpensive model) and measure the voltage at the battery, compare that to the one plugged into the TT's 12VDC accessory outlet. You can then compensate for the difference. There are some good battery monitors on the market, and I am sure that the others will have some recommendations for you.

What you also want to know is, what is the voltage at the batteries while they are being charged. The voltage (depending on the charge controller) should be somewhere between 13.8 and 14.4VDC while charging and 13.2 for maintaining the charge (Float). If you go to my albums I have a chart with the charging voltage levels.

My system is 13.2 at the end of the sunshine (SOLAR) and slowly drops to about 12.8 and remains there for awhile (light use radio, some LEDs) and by the end of the night after watching Tv it is about 12.5 or 12.4, and in the morning it is still around 12.4.

What type of batteries did they install? 12Volt deep cycle (in parallel), 6 volt deep cycle (in series)? Mfr, model, AmpHours?

Each battery setup will have different levels. It depends a lot on the Ah of the batteries installed.

Check the water levels in each of the batteries cells... also, check to make sure all the battery connections are tight. You may also want to check the battery mfr dates (coded on the tops of the batteries) just check the mfr website to read the code. Both batteries dates should be REAL close to each other. This will show you if you have fresh batteries or if the dealer had them sitting on the shelf for any length of time.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #3

The fridge uses 12V for the control panel while running on propane. You will also have the CO/gas detector (I think). Some others here will know more about the parasitic drains. I don't think that seems like a lot of drain, but again, some of the more knowledgeable will chime in hopefully.

LOL...for the record...there was no replies when I started typing mine. Forget what I said and listen to mustang.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #4

Thanks Mustang and Howie. I do have a multimeter, ill check at the battery tonight and post back if there are any differences.

They are new interstate group 24 deep cycle batteries and the mfg date is the same. I checked the water and it is topped off.

The trailer is 7 months old. I am charging them with a Yamaha 2000 generator and it charges at about 14v. At home I use house power.

Thank you.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaclepete View Post
I am charging them with a Yamaha 2000 generator and it charges at about 14v. At home I use house power.
Are you connecting the generator directly to the batteries or using the shore power cable to power the TT's battery control unit? Just wondering..

Don
Old 05-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #6

I use the shore power cable. it seems to work great. my friends setup is similar but hes at 12.4 in the morn
Old 05-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #7

As was mentioned the LP detector, fridge and the radio will be part of the draw also the converter itself will be the other draw since it is electronic. You should be able to pull the fuse for the radio.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:51 PM   #8

So my volt meter that plugs into dc receptacle is at 12.34 both batteries were at 14.4 volts when checked with multimeter. this is after a couple weeks with no charging and just sitting in driveway not plugged in. does that make sense? would there be that much voltage drop from batteries to dc receptacle? should batteries be at 14.4?

DC receptacle is at 13.6 when charging with generator or shore power. does that all sound correct?
Old 05-05-2015, 05:51 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
So my volt meter that plugs into dc receptacle is at 12.34 both batteries were at 14.4 volts when checked with multimeter. this is after a couple weeks with no charging and just sitting in driveway not plugged in. does that make sense? would there be that much voltage drop from batteries to dc receptacle? should batteries be at 14.4?

DC receptacle is at 13.6 when charging with generator or shore power. does that all sound correct?
After a couple of weeks without being charged, your batteries should be closer to the 12.34 level. After a few hours of not being on a charger the battery voltage should be around 13 - 12.8VDC. Sounds like that volt/ohm meter is not working properly.

Ignore the volt/ohm meter being bad, did not read your post properly... 14.4 was right after the batteries were charged.. sorry

As for the difference between the 12VDC accessory outlet and the battery there will be a difference as there are internal loads and gauge of wire that come into play. The difference should only be around .1 to .3 volt difference. What does the volt/ohm meter read at the 12VDC accessory outlet? The original display meter that I used in the past has a small pot (variable resistor on the ckt board that I adjusted) but it will always be off a little.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Old 05-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #10

Battery Drain

I also have a 19 and had "parasitic drain." To fix it I now pull the 30 amp fuse near the battery box when in storage. It seems to work. I also bring my rig to my house and charge my single battery.
docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #11

Have you checked using your friends meter? Some are just more accurate than others even those made by the same manufacture. Also he probably does not have the exact same trailer with the same options.. AND are you sure you have not left an outside light on? or one in the storage bay?
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Does that radio blue light run it down that much? I need to figure out how to turn that off. Does anyone else have similar issues?
Thanks
If you hold the power button down for about 5 seconds that will completely power down the stereo. (press once to put the radio in standby, hold down to power off)