Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2015, 06:45 AM   #1

X20E water leak when towing

Hello all, curious if anyone else has run into a similar problem. When towing our 2015 X20E through a moderate rain shower last weekend, we found water inside the camper. Specifically in the storage compartments that are under the front bunk, and just at the ends. This was not a massive amount of water, but enough to get the bedding that we store there wet. Confidence in our dealer is low, so looking for advise to see if others have had this experience.
okslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

Our old '03 Kiwi 17a did this. Take a look at the molding along the front that joins the tread plate and the fiberglass. Look for any gaps in the sealant, even small ones. Then check for the same thing along all the places where caulking is on the front end. You'd be surprised at how small of a gap it takes to have water get in while towing.

On our old hybrid is was some dried caulking along the "belt line" molding, which was higher than where that same molding is on our X20Es. Once I sealed that I never had a problem again. It was only about 2 years old when that happened. No trouble with our X20E though.

Also, open the bed and look for any evidence of water on the bottom. The biggest cause of leaks on the beds is, believe it or not, failure to completely tuck in the canvas behind the bed seals. I've done it, and so has just about everyone else at one time or other.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #4

Thanks for the welcomes. I've been lurking for sometime and learning a lot.

I think there is a gap in the sealer along that molding, I will check it out this evening. I didn't think that the molding was covering a path for water to gain entry, but just simply covering the transition from the tread plate to the fiberglass. When we opened up the bed, there was no other moisture in the camper. I am aware of the risks/hazards of catching the tent material in the door and take every precaution to eliminate this. See I do learn stuff from reading the forum!
Old 03-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by okslim View Post
Thanks for the welcomes. I've been lurking for sometime and learning a lot.

I think there is a gap in the sealer along that molding, I will check it out this evening. I didn't think that the molding was covering a path for water to gain entry, but just simply covering the transition from the tread plate to the fiberglass. When we opened up the bed, there was no other moisture in the camper. I am aware of the risks/hazards of catching the tent material in the door and take every precaution to eliminate this. See I do learn stuff from reading the forum!
Keep us posted as to where the water is getting in. I've not had any leaks either but it's good to know the vulnerable spots for when and if it does.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #6

I am not super familiar with the X20E, but I too have accidently (twice now) had a little bit of the canvas skirting caught between the frame and the seal, and it will leak there, I know from experience. I also had a front, side hatch that the gasket had a funny fold in it when it was originally installed as it went around the curved corners. The dealer replaced the seal and it has been fine ever since.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:33 AM   #7

Canvas will act as a wick if it is sandwiched between a seam, allowing water to saturate on this canvas, and then drip inside.

I used to own a VW westy, and that pop top was a small pain in the backside to get all the pop top canvas pulled back, inside the cover as to not get itself sandwiched between the seal. On several occasions, I'd find a small puddle on the counter top, or on the floor.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #8

I am 99.9% sure that the canvas was not closed in the bunk door. I did however find this when I looked the other evenings. Think that might be the source of it?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0092.jpg   IMG_0093.jpg  
Old 03-24-2015, 05:52 AM   #9

Won't hurt anything to clean out the old silicone, apply a new bead, and see...on the bottom part of the picture, there appears to be an open area for water to get into.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:24 AM   #10

Yes, that definitely could be your problem. What I described in my previous post on my old hybrid was similar. It doesn't seem like a big hole, but water will find its way into the smallest holes.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #11

Thanks for the photos, will check mine once I can get the Cover off it. Still too much snow on it. :-(
I am itching in a bad way to get moving on mods and things, LOL
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote