Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2017, 07:53 AM   #1

X23B clear plastic inserts in bunk end windows

I posted yesterday, but don't see it at all, so here I go again. Has anyone ever put clear plastic on the bunk end windows? I would love to zip down the canvas and be able to see outside, but keep the rain out and the a/c or heat in. I have a few ideas, but why reinvent this if someone already found a way to do it. I'm hoping that these plastic inserts can stay in place when we close it up.
oldbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #2

Haven't ever seen or heard of it but it's an intriguing idea. I like all the natural light we get in the camper when the bunk end canvas is open. I'd assume you want them to be removable, Velcro or even magnets would be an easy solution. Let us know what you come up with.

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbat View Post
I posted yesterday, but don't see it at all, so here I go again. ...snip
Welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #4

Thanks for the response. I do have some ideas but have to wait until we get it out of storage in the spring.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlin4you View Post
Velcro or even magnets would be an easy solution. Let us know what you come up with.
I like the Velcro idea best and that's something I might look into this spring when I can open up the tent end. If I just do the ends I might opt for a thin sheet of Lexan and store it between the mattress when folded up. My tent has the plastic inserts but it looks a little distorted when looking out.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #6

I was thinking the same thing. Lexan sounds good, but it's expensive. Clear vinyl would be cheaper, lighter and easy to store. I don't mind the distortion as long as I can keep the rain out, and the a/c on, while still getting lots of light. We upgraded our old 23B to a 2017 x23B in the fall, and the windows are tinted on the new one, which makes the interior very dark.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #7

Interesting idea. Take a look at any of the pup's to see how it is done. All the main cabin windows on our 1007 had vinyl cover with pull down curtains over. The panels were attached at the bottom and zipped around the other 3 sides (roll down when not in use). Note that they do not use these on the bunk ends though.

Check with Jayco or one of the replacement canvas companies what the material used is. It was just the right weight, any thicker would be brittle, any thinner would probably rip. The panels in our pup were a light smoked grey to cut down on UV heating.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #8

This can definitely be done, contact a tent repair company, they can add a clear "plastic" window for you. My in-laws used to own a tent repair company, they added clear plastic windows to our Eureka tent and it worked perfectly for us. At the end of your camping, ship your bunk ends to the tent repair business, you can re-install them once they are completed.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote