Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #1

X23b Questions

I just put money down on a 2016 x23b, can't wait by the way. The dealer has one in stock with pretty much everything we want but I had a few questions about some of the other options.
1- we plan on doing some winter camping so is it worth getting the enclosed under belly even though it's a HTT. If anything would it help with rodents or make it a home for them?
2- I seen they came out with the electronic sway control, does anyone have that and is it worth getting or just stick with the WDH and skip the new stuff

It's not that much difference in price when you're ordering it so I was considering ordering one to get all of it. Just wasn't sure if the enclosed underbelly made sense for a HTT. Any advise would be appreciated.
Irks73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #2

IMHO, the enclosed underbelly is worth it. Then again, I live in Alaska.

A WDH is different and separate from sway control. Though many WDH's have integrated sway control. So it will depend on what WDH hitch you have. I recommend at least having a WDH is sway is integrated bonus, if not, there are factors to consider which would allow for a better more educated opinion regarding sway control. Mainly, what are you towing it with? Which WDH do you have?
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #3

I will be towing it with a 2013 f-150 Eco boost(max tow) so I'm well within the limits. I just didn't know if it would be worth getting the electronic sway or if it would be something more to worry about breaking. I figured I'd get a WDH when I actually pick up the camper.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #4

I do not know enough about Jayco's sway control. I do have an Equal-i-zer brand WDH, and recommend it. We only had a sway issue once with it, high head winds and low tire pressures on the htt. I always check the tire pressure now, and have never had another scare.

How cold do you call winter camping? We been in ours in the low 20's. The outer bunk ends where I sleep gets cool, we do use heated mattress pads ( after market), and they really help. Not sure I would want to do a Minnesota winter in ours. If I did I would avoid using the on board water system. Use it turtled(closed bunk ends).

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irks73 View Post
snip...
2- I seen they came out with the electronic sway control, does anyone have that and is it worth getting or ...snip
Several people have asked that same question. It seems to me that is too new to know of it is worth it because few people have used it. No one here, as far as I know, has had any experience with it... yet.

There are 'early adopters' that will get it just because it is new. Hopefully those that get and use it will share their experiences with us.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:26 PM   #6

I'm not as worried about the electronic sway(it seems like the antisway bars can cover that when your well within your weight and tire pressure is checked) the underbelly enclosed seems like a good idea but I worry if it's a giant home for rodents that I can't get to and then the problem of servicing anything unde the trailer, I guess the pros and cons of that..
Old 01-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #7

Having a 23B, I can tell you that the CCC (cargo carrying capacity) is low. The enclosed underbelly adds weight which lowers the CCC, even more. As for mice I crawled under mine with steel wool and marine grade caulk, and filled every hole, and then again fom inside if I could reach it. There are lots of holes, mostly for electrical grounds. I have never had a mouse.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #8

I have a 2013 ecoboost with maxtow as well. I'm hauling an X23b. The electronic sway control on the truck saved my butt on my second trip out when a semi flew by me. I went out that night and bought a sway bar from Harbor freight. With the max tow package I don't think the trailer tongue weight was heavy enough to worry about the wdh,but the extra sway bar made a world of difference. I think of the electronic sway control as a nice backup.
weekendwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #9

Do you by chance have the enclosed underbelly? What was your opinion on that if so?
Old 01-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #10

I did not get the enclosed underbelly. We have camped in cooler weather (low in upper 30's) and we have been comfortable with just an electric heater.
weekendwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:14 PM   #11

I had an X19H which is the next size down from the X23B (we loved our X19H but sometimes wished we had gotten the X23B from the get go, inside storage and Slide make a big difference, so you have made a good choice for a Hybrid).

I had an Equalizer WDH 1000 lb and it worked great, will be getting a new 1200 lb hitch for our 28BHBE. I had the option of adding the new electronic sway control when ordering our 28BHBE but after researching the system I decided while it was neat it was more electronic stuff to not work or go haywire. A proper TV and WDH setup and safe speed and driving conditions make for a good combination.

As for the enclosed underbelly I believe all it is is the black hard plastic sandwich covering which you could do yourself if you really wanted it. Jayco's website lists it as "Enclosed Underbelly" not a heated underbelly. I did not have an enclosed underbelly and camped in 30 Deg weather and had no tank problems. With the tents, which allow the camper to get cold inside, I would not think you would camp much in weather that having an enclosed underbelly would show any benefits mainly because the tent ends are the weak spots as far as thermal protection.

As for the underside getting dirty etc you can always clean it and you have full access to all the Tanks and Wiring which is nice. I ordered the Thermal Pkg on our 28BHBE more for the Roof and Extra insulation in other parts of the camper over the enclosed underbelly. I will miss not having easy access to everything.

In the end you have to decide what you want and if you think it will bother you later that you did not get it, then order a camper. That is one of the main reasons I did, I wanted to get a couple things that I might only need once in a while but I will have it when that need arises.

We have now gone to the Dark Side but will miss our Hybrid adventures.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote