Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #1

X254 ~ reviews-opinions-something

We are leaning towards this for our family of 5, but I can't find any reviews for it. We are moving up from a popup.

Thanks for any input.
larson101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

it is brand new. Likely not many on the road. It replaces the x213 I believe
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #3

It's a Jayco and their a very fine unit so don't worry, you'll be very pleased with it for many years to come. I wouldn't trade mine for any unit out there and believe me, I've been to 4 RV trade shows and looked at 100s and mine's a keeper!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:39 AM   #4

So much room! What model do you have? Thank you!!
Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #5

Is the X254 27 feet long with the bed in or out?
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:05 AM   #6

Pretty sure it would be 27ft with the bed out.

I went and checked it out this weekend. It really is a great option for a larger family who can't tow a larger trailer. My husband wasn't a big fan of the layout (placement of the bathroom), so he wants to check out a few other options. The bunks were big! I could easily sleep in one with no issues. If a person is real tall, then I could see the king bed length possibly being an issue. I'm 5'7" and I had room to spare at my feet and head. I felt storage was pretty good for the size of the trailer, but I say this without taking it for a trip. All in all, I liked it.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #7

Have you looked at the X23F. I have a family of five and it is absolutely perfect and has tons of room and storage...
Old 03-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #8

Just ordered a X254 today and can't wait until it comes in. We chose the X254 floor plan because we have 4 younger children and wanted them to be comfortable as they grow so we can keep this trailer for a while. We also like the privacy this offered by having a separate bunk room. It's relatively light considering the sleeping capacity too.
gncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #9

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #10

Looking at buying this model. Did you end up purchasing it yet? Concerns: Looks to have a very low profile. Worried it would scrape ground going up a driveway or hilly road.

Small kids would be on top bunks so big kids would have longer bottom bunks. Are there rails we can add on or would we have to modify our own so that they don't fall out? Do they sell ladders?
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #11

Ours arrived at the dealer yesterday, but we are unable to pick it up until Saturday. Will post an initial review after delivery. Trip booked for late May, so it's just in time.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #12

Please update when you get it about how much you love it. I am guessing it will be a 2015 model then? Ours scheduled to be built this month and then we have to wait for it to be shipped to CA. Ours will be a 2016. Hoping to have it by mid June.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #13

We picked up our 2015 X254 last Saturday and can say the my overall initial impressions are very good. After spending more time going over the inside and outside of the trailer, we're assured that this was the right choice for us. And coming from a small hybrid trailer, the extra living and storage space will make camping much more comfortable and fun for us.

The ride home from the dealer was rather uneventful. I found that it tows very well and the increase in size from our previous trailer caused no issues for me driving or reversing. The WD hitch that we purchased along with the trailer did a fine job.

There are some minor nits to pick though. The fabric pattern on the headboard and valences in the slide to not match the interior of the rest of the coach. I'm not sure why they decided to do this. We initially thought this was a factory error, but another X254 on the dealer lot also was built the same way. Let me add that the pattern is nice, but it just doesn't match and it stood out to me. Also, I'm a little disappointed that ladders for the top bunks weren't included or built in somehow. I'll be building and installing some custom rope ladders this week, but I don't think owners should have to install ladders before it can be usable. I noted that the bathroom door does not have a stop on it and it looks like the knob could easily be put through the paneling if opened too quickly (...kids). I'll be installing something to prevent that too.

Some minor things I'm tinkering with...I'm in the process of caulking the tub/shower to ensure it's waterproof. I also removed the 2 stripes on the outside of the trailer that had a faux airbrushed look, simply because I didn't like the look.

I'll follow up once more at the end of the month following our first trip in it.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gncw View Post
We picked up our 2015 X254 last Saturday and can say the my overall initial impressions are very good. After spending more time going over the inside and outside of the trailer, we're assured that this was the right choice for us. And coming from a small hybrid trailer, the extra living and storage space will make camping much more comfortable and fun for us.

The ride home from the dealer was rather uneventful. I found that it tows very well and the increase in size from our previous trailer caused no issues for me driving or reversing. The WD hitch that we purchased along with the trailer did a fine job.

There are some minor nits to pick though. The fabric pattern on the headboard and valences in the slide to not match the interior of the rest of the coach. I'm not sure why they decided to do this. We initially thought this was a factory error, but another X254 on the dealer lot also was built the same way. Let me add that the pattern is nice, but it just doesn't match and it stood out to me. Also, I'm a little disappointed that ladders for the top bunks weren't included or built in somehow. I'll be building and installing some custom rope ladders this week, but I don't think owners should have to install ladders before it can be usable. I noted that the bathroom door does not have a stop on it and it looks like the knob could easily be put through the paneling if opened too quickly (...kids). I'll be installing something to prevent that too.

Some minor things I'm tinkering with...I'm in the process of caulking the tub/shower to ensure it's waterproof. I also removed the 2 stripes on the outside of the trailer that had a faux airbrushed look, simply because I didn't like the look.

I'll follow up once more at the end of the month following our first trip in it.
Thanks for updating gncw. What are you towing it with? I wonder if the fabric mismatch will be fixed with the 2016. As for the ladders you would think something like that would be included. Kind of a bummer but I was aware that they weren't already. I was just planning on picking a couple up off of Amazon. I'll let you know the pluses and minuses (if there are any) with the 2016 when we get it.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #15

I'm not sure what you are caulking in the shower, but my dealer warned me not to caulk between the tub and the surround walls. There is supposed to be a 1/4 to 3/8" gap where the walls meet the tub. This is to allow for flex. If it is caulked, the caulking will crack due to flexing and trap water behind the caulk.

The tub has a 1-1/2" lip that goes up behind the surround walls, so there is no way for water to get behind.

Also, I believe the x213 is still available. The x254 is not a replacement for the x213 and it has been out since 2013.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
Thanks for updating gncw. What are you towing it with? I wonder if the fabric mismatch will be fixed with the 2016. As for the ladders you would think something like that would be included. Kind of a bummer but I was aware that they weren't already. I was just planning on picking a couple up off of Amazon. I'll let you know the pluses and minuses (if there are any) with the 2016 when we get it.
I'm towing with a 2005 Sequoia
Old 06-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #17

We took our first trip with our new X254 over Memorial Day weekend and went really well. For a family of 6, it is such a vast improvement in the overall camping experience over our old 17' hybrid trailer, so I'll try not to mention the relative comparisons. Overall, we're pretty happy with the design, quality, and fit and finish of the trailer. Everything worked as it should. Really, the only thing we didn't like was not having any drawers in the kitchen to put silverware and utensils in. We stored them below the sink in the cabinet. There are a lot over other storage and organization things we need to add for ourselves, and we'll do those gradually.

We did have an issue with water leaks in two areas. The leaks were investigated when we heard the pump operate randomly through the night for about 1 second each time. Turns out the valve closing off the alternate pump inlet hose was not closed off tightly, so there was some water slowly coming through that tube on to the floor. The bigger leak was behind the toilet. There is a short section of tubing connecting the flush valve to the spout inside the bowl. It appeared that it was cut too short and not seated fully on to the barbs of the fittings. I had some spare tubing and fixed it myself at home. So far, so good. We're disappointed these things were found on the first time out and not caught during the dealers inspection, and was tempted just to take it back to the dealer and let them fix it. But to save myself 6 hrs. and about $60 in gas on two trips there, I decided just to try to fix it myself first. Glad I found them sooner than later.

I also added some rope ladders to the top bunks for a small amount of money and they worked out great. Pics posted in the ladder thread.

We have three more weekend trips in the next month, and hopefully can take care of any issues and tackle any improvements before a week long trip to the beach in August.

Again, turning out to be a great trailer for us!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:00 AM   #18

X254 top bunk

Greetings everyone! Just joined... We recently had twins so with a 4 year old, need an upgrade. Considering either the X213 or X254. Tow vehicle will handle either. How are the top bunks in 254? They seem to be a little high, close to the ceiling. Thanks!
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #19

They are high. Not uncomfortable for a big person though. Plenty of room to not bump head. I won't let my little kids sleep up there yet until I get rails installed. I threw the dinette cushions on the floor in the middle the first time kids slept in bunks because it would be a very long fall. They did fine though.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Old 08-17-2015, 12:08 PM   #20

Top bunk headroom

Thanks for the quick response! I guess I was wondering more about the headroom. Our oldest is 4... clearly she wouldn't be able to sit up right? How many inches of clearance would estimate? Thanks!
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote