Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #1

2017 Ford F250 6.2 Recalled

Bought my new truck this weekend.

Ford has a recall out on the transmission. This impacts all F250's with the gas motor for 2017. The truck can roll after it has been put into park. Major bummer. I can't take delivery until the recall is fixed, and Ford hasn't fixed any of the trucks yet, they don't have the parts. Hope this isn't a long wait. I was signing papers when the dealers boss came in with the bad news.

Anyway, here's the recall notice:

Recall Date: MAR 31, 2017
Recall Title: TRANSMISSION PARK ROD ACTUATING PLATE
NHTSA Recall Number: 17V225
Ford Recall Number: 17C06
Recall Description: TRANSMISSION PARK ROD ACTUATING PLATE. FMVSS 102 REQUIRES THE VEHICLE TRANSMISSION TO BE IN PARK WHEN THE GEAR SHIFT LEVER INDICATES PARK. FMVSS 114 REQUIRES PREVENTION OF KEY REMOVAL UNLESS THE TRANSMISSION OR GEAR SELECTION CONTROL IS LOCKED IN PARK. FORD IS NOT AWARE OF ANY REPORTS OF ACCIDENT OR INJURY RELATED TO THIS CONDITION.
Risk to Safety: VEHICLES BUILT WITH A DAMAGED PARK ROD ACTUATING PLATE MAY NOT ACHIEVE MECHANICAL PARK WITHIN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AFTER THE DRIVER MOVES THE SHIFT LEVER TO PARK. IF THE PARKING BRAKE IS NOT APPLIED, THIS COULD RESULT IN UNINTENDED VEHICLE MOVEMENT WITHOUT WARNING INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY OR CRASH.
Remedy Program: CUSTOMERS WILL BE INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THEIR DEALER TO HAVE THE PARK ROD ACTUATING PLATE INSPECTED AND REPLACED AS NECESSARY. CUSTOMERS WILL ALSO BE INSTRUCTED TO USE THE PARKING BRAKE WHENEVER THE TRANSMISSION SHIFT LEVER IS IN THE PARK POSITION UNTIL THE VEHICLE IS REPAIRED. FORD IS EXCLUDING REIMBURSEMENT FOR COSTS BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PROGRAM WOULD PROVIDE FOR A FREE REPAIR FOR THIS CONCERN. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.
Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE http://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
Site Team

Man, that stinks! I remember there was a time when the car companies actually tested things out, BEFORE selling 'em to the public. Now, it seems like we're the testers. Hey, maybe you can talk your dealer into giving you a new truck with the Powerstroke, instead??? Problem solved!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #3

Sucks. Ford says parts will be available June 2017.

It's funny though, we (dealership) are trying to figure out what the heck a park rod actuating plate is. I couldn't find a thing on it in my program. Weird.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post

It's funny though, we (dealership) are trying to figure out what the heck a park rod actuating plate is. I couldn't find a thing on it in my program. Weird.
JUNE!! Oh man that stinks even more now. Thank you though, my salesman didn't have a clue. He just said sorry bud, I can not give you your truck yet. I'll give you more info on Monday...

Half tempted to get a 350 diesel now just so I can have it.

I can still get out of the deal if we decide to. I'm in no major hurry though. On the bright side, I'll probably owe 1200 dollars less on my trade by the time I sign it over to them. I'm sure Ford is making this a major priority since they can't sell any of the trucks impacted by the recall for a couple of months.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Man, that stinks! I remember there was a time when the car companies actually tested things out, BEFORE selling 'em to the public. Now, it seems like we're the testers. Hey, maybe you can talk your dealer into giving you a new truck with the Powerstroke, instead??? Problem solved!
Ford, as well as other manufacturers, have been having a lot of "DO NOT DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER" here lately. It's horrible.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
JUNE!! Oh man that stinks even more now. Thank you though, my salesman didn't have a clue. He just said sorry bud, I can give you your truck yet. I'll give you more info on Monday...

Not all 6.2's are effected. I'd pick another that doesn't fall under the recall.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #7

Unfortunately mine is in the recall. According to my letter it has to do with those that were assembled in KY. Mine was. Haven't had any issues and still love it.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #8

Wife and I are pretty disappointed but it's not a deal breaker (yet). My logical plan B is just to factory order something this week, especially if I'm looking at mid to late June anyway. It looks like everything that rolled out after March 30, 2017 is good to go, so that's only a couple weeks worth of production. I can't find any others locally that meet our requirements.

Guess I'll need to decide here pretty soon if I want to just scrap the deal and get a factory order instead.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Wife and I are pretty disappointed but it's not a deal breaker (yet). My logical plan B is just to factory order something this week, especially if I'm looking at mid to late June anyway. It looks like everything that rolled out after March 30, 2017 is good to go, so that's only a couple weeks worth of production. I can't find any others locally that meet our requirements.

Guess I'll need to decide here pretty soon if I want to just scrap the deal and get a factory order instead.
Don't let it discourage you, they're still very nice trucks!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #10

I'm looking at the benefits of waiting a couple months, there are a couple.

We just haven't had a lot of luck in the vehicle dept lately. My daily driver was involved in a rear-end crash in Feb, and it's still in the shop. I love our 150, so it could be a lot worse. I can still camp, and tow while waiting, they threw in a 'free' spray in bed liner for the PIA involved. I'm just pretty bad when it comes to waiting around for stuff.

Main surprise is they claimed they just found out about the recall when doing my paperwork, but they are one of the biggest Ford truck dealers in the state. I think they planned all along on demoing a truck that they couldn't legally sell, hoping they'd end up with a customer like us.

My first clue that something was up was after the test drive, the salesman triple checked that I set the parking brake on a perfectly flat parking lot. They knew about the recall way before they disclosed it. Minor irritation...
Old 04-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #11

If the salesman knew and didn't tell me, I would walk. His making sure the parking brake was on tells me he was aware. Even if they could do a much better deal, I would be very wary of this salesman and probably the dealer.

If they didn't tell you before giving you the paperwork to sign, what else are they going to do (or not) after you wait and finally get delivery. And if they didn't tell you up front, what makes anyone think "delivery in June" of this vehicle would hold. My money would be the trucks they sell after yours would be the ones they install the replacement parts into.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
If the salesman knew and didn't tell me, I would walk. His making sure the parking brake was on tells me he was aware. Even if they could do a much better deal, I would be very wary of this salesman and probably the dealer.

If they didn't tell you before giving you the paperwork to sign, what else are they going to do (or not) after you wait and finally get delivery. And if they didn't tell you up front, what makes anyone think "delivery in June" of this vehicle would hold. My money would be the trucks they sell after yours would be the ones they install the replacement parts into.
Not worried that they will delay fixing the transmission on mine. We have to keep in mind that they are now sitting on a truck that has a contract on it, but they are still paying to store it in their inventory, and have yet to realize any profit on it, they also can't sell my in-demand, 150 which is lost profit every month I'm driving it. Getting 'my truck' off the lot ASAP is in both of our interests. I do agree though, finding out about the recall 4 hours into the process was very irritating. This is my 5th new vehicle from these guys so I trust the dealership overall.

When I bought my Jayco, I found out about the trailer sway recall 20 minutes before I was to drive off the lot with it. Some of us have all the luck I guess.

Knowing that I would have bought this truck even if I had known about the recall before the test drive is helping me 'stay the course' when it comes to completing the transaction. I'm watching them like a hawk now though and am under no obligation to take delivery if I feel like I'm getting the run around. Appreciate your perspective though. Your initial reaction to the situation is a valid one.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
I'm looking at the benefits of waiting a couple months, there are a couple.

We just haven't had a lot of luck in the vehicle dept lately. My daily driver was involved in a rear-end crash in Feb, and it's still in the shop. I love our 150, so it could be a lot worse. I can still camp, and tow while waiting, they threw in a 'free' spray in bed liner for the PIA involved. I'm just pretty bad when it comes to waiting around for stuff.

Main surprise is they claimed they just found out about the recall when doing my paperwork, but they are one of the biggest Ford truck dealers in the state. I think they planned all along on demoing a truck that they couldn't legally sell, hoping they'd end up with a customer like us.

My first clue that something was up was after the test drive, the salesman triple checked that I set the parking brake on a perfectly flat parking lot. They knew about the recall way before they disclosed it. Minor irritation...

Horrible customer service. They should never had let you drive it.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #14

Quote:
JUNE!! Oh man that stinks even more now. Thank you though, my salesman didn't have a clue. He just said sorry bud, I can not give you your truck yet. I'll give you more info on Monday...

I can still get out of the deal if we decide to. I'm in no major hurry though. On the bright side, I'll probably owe 1200 dollars less on my trade by the time I sign it over to them. I'm sure Ford is making this a major priority since they can't sell any of the trucks impacted by the recall for a couple of months.
Tell him you now want a better deal or your money back so you can go buy a Chevy.. ;-)
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by seann45 View Post
tell him you now want a better deal or your money back so you can go buy a chevy.. ;-)
doh!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #16

This picture will have to do until June. Only way I'd tow with a non-ford is if someone gave it to me She could use a bath though.
Attached Thumbnails
Truck.jpg  
Old 04-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #17

Very nice!
Old 04-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #18

Quote:

Quick update on this. I called Ford directly, not entirely trusting the dealer at this point to be transparent with the info.

Parts are supposed to start coming in late 2nd quarter to early 3rd quarter. This pushes us out to July most likely.

I think we're going to scrap the deal and factory order our new truck. It won't cost me a penny more, and at this rate, I might get it sooner. The build date on the truck I'm currently contracted on is Mid October of 2016. Facing the option of taking delivery of a 9 month old truck that has already needed the tranny cracked open... I think I should run from it while sending a message to the dealer to be up front with us because I'm going to find out anyway, and then just walk when I get the details.

What say you guys?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Quick update on this. I called Ford directly, not entirely trusting the dealer at this point to be transparent with the info.

Parts are supposed to start coming in late 2nd quarter to early 3rd quarter. This pushes us out to July.

I think we're going to scrap the deal and factory order our new truck. It won't cost my a penny more, and at this rate, I might get it sooner. The build date on the truck I'm currently contracted on is Mid October of 2016. Facing the option of taking delivery of a 9 month old truck that has already needed the tranny cracked open... I think I should run from it.

What say you guys?

Don't even give it a second thought. Avoid it. Does your dealer have ANY trucks that aren't under the recall?
Old 04-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Don't even give it a second thought. Avoid it. Does your dealer have ANY trucks that aren't under the recall?
Not really.. I found 4 F250's in my area that are the Lariat trim with the gas motor, and only 1 of them had most of the options we wanted. It's the truck we were buying. I don't know if they are all low on stock because of the recall, I'm sure that's a factor.. but the truck I want just isn't around.

I just fired off a friendly email to the dealer explaining our frustration... recalls happen, not their fault, and asked them if they had any other options for us, maybe an inbound vehicle that isn't on their site yet, etc.. It's really hard finding a 250, Gas, Lariat, with the extras we wanted. This truck had 95% of it nailed, so I think the writing is probably on the wall. Should have gone this route to begin with.