Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #1

Door lock model 43610 - Jayco???

I have NO idea if this applies to Jayco door locks....
Anyone?

http://rvdailyreport.com/News/ctl/Ar...oor-locks.aspx

Door lock model 43610
(August 8, 2013) — Fastec Industrial Corp. (FIC) is recalling certain model 43610, 40610, and 44610 door locks manufactured between January 2006 and April 2013 with a keyed paddle handle and deadbolt for use in recreational vehicles. More than 2.8 million RVs are affected by the recall.

It may be possible to remove the key from the lock in a way that potentially jams the deadbolt in locks with certain key codes. If the deadbolt jams, the interior side of the door lock may also jam. A person inside the recreational vehicle at the time will then be locked in and be unable to exit the vehicle without using the emergency exit, increasing the risk of injury.

FIC will notify the original equipment door and RV manufacturers and the consumers of record and instruct them on how to determine whether they have a defective lock. Consumers of record will be sent replacement cylinders with instructions, free of charge. The vehicle manufacturers will notify their consumers. The recall is expected to begin September 10, 2013. Owners may contact FIC at 1-800-837-2505.

Owners also may contact Fastec at 1-800-837-2505 or the NHTSA’s vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153).

SOURCE: National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) and RVtravel.com.

« Thor trumpets changes in 2014 Tuscany motorhome design
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #2

Just received a recall notice from Fastec today (accompanied by a Jayco cover letter). Guess Jayco has no idea what locksets are used on what RV's, since their cover letter didn't identify our trailer by VIN #.

No problem here. The locks on our WhiteHawk are manufactured by Bauer and they work as they should.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
Site Team

I just received my recall notice for the locks on my 2013 Eagle 284BHS. Attached is the information you need to determine if your TT's locks are part of the recall, mine is and I tested them as per the instructions and it is defective. Read the document on the attached link to determine if yours is part of the recall. The locks were made between Jan 1, 2006 and April 30, 2013. Only one of my locks is defective. They have instructions for replacement in the document.

http://www.fastecindustrial.com/reca...l%20letter.pdf

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #4

Yes I also received a notice to check on the lock, luckily my key number is not on the list and the lock works perfect.

2011 Tacoma
2013 Swift 185
Danmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Interestingly enough, the lock in question started malfunctioning while we were camping last month. Told DW that I needed to take it apart and fix it, when we returned home... guess I just have to replace it now.
Don
Old 02-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #6

With all the company mergers/buyouts in the RV industry the last few years - does anyone know for sure that Bauer locks are not made by Fastec??? My key has the recall 3 digit number without the leading HF but has the Bauer name on it. It will be Monday before I can check with the dealer - really makes me wonder why Jayco would not know what locks they used on each VIN and would let the computers send out letters to just affected owners! Any help would be appreciated from Forum members that might know of any connection between Bauer and Fastec.
Charolaisbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #7

Boubou, looked at the link above and it appears my lock is not on the list as it is HF 301. I'll go out later and check on the lock itself. Thanks for posting this and glad it showed up again so I could check it out.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charolaisbreeder View Post
With all the company mergers/buyouts in the RV industry the last few years - does anyone know for sure that Bauer locks are not made by Fastec??? My key has the recall 3 digit number without the leading HF but has the Bauer name on it. It will be Monday before I can check with the dealer - really makes me wonder why Jayco would not know what locks they used on each VIN and would let the computers send out letters to just affected owners! Any help would be appreciated from Forum members that might know of any connection between Bauer and Fastec.

Fastec Industrial is a wholly owned subsidiary of WESCO Distribution, whose core business strangely enough has nothing to do with the RV industry. Bauer is a privately held company headquartered in Grand Rapids, Michigan and apparently its sole business is RV Lock devices.

Bottom Line: If your lock keys' numbers aren't on the recall notice (exactly as printed in the recall) you have no worries. And, if you lock works as it should (not being able to remove the key when the lock cylinder is turned with the key to nine o' clock), you're good to go, but should still let Fastec know via their website recall page either way. It helps them comply with NHTSA recall red tape requirements and only takes a minute.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
Site Team

My Key #304 without the letters on if is a Bauer key. I tried the lock and on the lock for key #301 the key comes out in the 9 o'clock position, and it could not be unlocked from the inside on the initial try. I had to jiggle it a number of times before it would open. You can't take the key out of the back door lock in the 9 o'clock position. We already filled out the online form and i think they are mailing us a new tumbler, and we have to return the one in question.
Don
Old 02-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #10

***UPDATE***

I wanted to let everyone know I contacted Bauer Products Inc., and asked if they were a part of the Fastec recall. I also sent them a link showing them the recall notice.

I got a reply back , directly quoting The representative from Bauer Products Inc. he said "We (Bauer Products Inc.) are NOT part of the Fastec recall."

I am going to post this on the other thread on JOF about the Fastec recall as well
pmfinnegan2 is offline   Reply With Quote