Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #41

I've got mine still. It does work with our setup.. I am waiting..tap tap tap.. No word from anyone

We can afford to do this as we know Sway Command works. I'm hardly recommending others follow suit.

Over the winter we may visit the dealer for a social ( pest visit). Its on the way to the grocery store.

But we right now are in no hurry but are fully aware of the consequences of getting another tow vehicle or selling the trailer to another party. If those situations happen we will squawk

Our unit is little. No payments.. its already repaid itself in savings on motels.

We are going cross country to Alaska next year and I am secure that the Sway Command will work.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #42

Cool Sway command system is removed

Just got my SWAY LACK-OF-COMMAND SYSTEM" removed by my dealer it took about 4 hours. They process the paperwork just like warranty work. I am so glad the darn thing is off my Trailer. I should of known Technology like this was to good to be true. Now I have peace of mind, and can rely on my trailer brakes to work. I have talked to many Jayco Owners w/Sway Control who have yet to receive their RECALL letter. In fact many dealers are unaware still. They are going to get someone killed. I have researched 10 known accidents linked directly to this bogus technology. I am not aware of any fatalities. Thank God. I wish those owners luck that still have it hooked up.
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab, Rear Wheel Drive, V8 (327 CI), Factory Tow Package & Heavy Duty Suspension; e2 Round Bar Hitch, 10K lb. max; 2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX, 212QBW, DISCONNECTED Sway Command System; Sold: 2005 Skyline Nomad Lite, 180LT, 18'
Campin4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:20 PM   #43

I decided to send a note to Lippert customer service to get a response from them in writing that I could share here. It's been a couple of days - nothing but crickets. Anyway, here's the note I sent them, I'll share their response if I get one:

Hello,

I own a 2017 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH with Sway Command installed as a factory option. My trailer has been recalled by Jayco for removal of Sway Command due to compatibility issues.

I spoke to one of your customer service representatives two weeks ago, a nice fellow who told me that your company stands behind the Jayco recall. This is a little confusing, however, as my tow vehicle is a 2010 F-150 with OEM brake controller, which your website still says is fully compatible with Sway Command. I've disconnected Sway Command for the moment but I haven't had it removed as I'd like the added protection it provides IF it's working properly.

So, my question for you is - if I'm using Sway Command on a Jayco travel trailer with a 2010 F-150 with OEM brake controller, am I safe? Will it function as designed? If this is the case, I'll re-enable Sway Command and use it, and remove it only when selling or transferring my trailer to another owner (unless your company has a fix in place by then).

By the way, you should know that some Jayco owners with compatible tow vehicles (you can see their comments at the Jayco Owners Forum) are frustrated by the lack of clearer guidance on this recall. They're confused (as I am) because they wanted the additional safety of Sway Command and your website still says it's compatible with their tow vehicle. If that's the case, then why disable or uninstall it?

Final question - is your company working to save Sway Command? Are you looking into a firmware/software/hardware update that will make it unambiguously safe? If so, many of us are willing to stick with you and simply disable the system until you have a fix in place. I can't imagine you aren't working on it - why surrender your market share to companies like Tuson? And why is your system still available on Forest River RVs - they would encounter the same issues as Jayco, wouldn't they? And Sway Command is still available for aftermarket sale and installation, isn't it...even for Jayco owners? Again, confusing...

Please accept this note in the spirit intended. I and my fellow Jayco owners simply need to hear something definitive from Lippert on this subject. I would like to use Sway Command if you can assure me it's safe for my 2010 F-150 with OEM brake controller. I have a 650 mile round trip with my family coming up in 10 days and I'd like to know whether I can safely use the system during the trip. It simply makes no sense to me to remove something that could SAVE lives simply because it isn't compatible with other tow vehicles but IS compatible with mine.

Thanks VERY much in advance for any thoughtful answers that you can provide.
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #44

I sent you private thanks Mikey but you deserve public thanks! I am in the same boat as you.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 08-31-2016, 07:20 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
I sent you private thanks Mikey but you deserve public thanks! I am in the same boat as you.
Thanks, Kim! Hope we get some answers soon.

Best,

Mike
Old 09-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #46

OKAY...

Just spoke with a Lippert customer service rep named Garth, another very nice and knowledgeable fellow who told me that IF you own a tow vehicle with integrated brake controller or aftermarket controller that is on Lippert's list of COMPATIBLE controllers (approved via testing), you're perfectly safe using Sway Command. It will work as designed and will not cause any brake failure on your trailer.

Garth told me that they still sell Sway Command as an aftermarket product and that it is also factory installed by other RV companies besides Jayco, with the proviso that it be matched to compatible brake controllers. In that way it's just like the Tuson electric sway control, a competing product that works with most (but not all) brake controllers.

This assurance has made me comfortable enough to run with Sway Command active. Each of you must exercise your own judgment, I'm not advising anyone on what do to, just sharing what I've learned and how it's informed my own decision. Be safe out there, everyone!
Old 09-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #47

Hopefully we can get instructions in the future on how to deactivate from Lippert customer service so that if we get an incompatible tow vehicle or sell the trailer we are not going to put ourselves in jeopardy from getting hurt or being sued.

Of course when we sell it will be as is with full disclosure but for the meantime we are quite happy with how Sway Command works with our unsophisticated truck.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 09-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #48

Quote:
Hopefully we can get instructions in the future on how to deactivate from Lippert customer service so that if we get an incompatible tow vehicle or sell the trailer we are not going to put ourselves in jeopardy from getting hurt or being sued.

Of course when we sell it will be as is with full disclosure but for the meantime we are quite happy with how Sway Command works with our unsophisticated truck.
Kim,

It's pretty easy to disable. Jayco sent out instructions to owners (with photos). I know from your previous posts that they seem to have forgotten you, but if you email their customer service or give them a call they'll send you the instructions as a one page pdf file. They emailed mine and sent a hard copy later. All you do is disconnect one cable from the Sway Command control box on your trailer's A-frame cross member. It clips in with a tab that you release with a flat tip screwdriver. That's it. Takes 5 seconds.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #49

Not sure if anyone will know but I am Canadian and my refund is $375 does anyone know if that should be in US dollars?
Davecarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #50

Quote:

Kim (and anyone else!),

Following up from yesterday, I've attached a copy of the disabling instructions provided by Jayco. Super easy to do. Best, Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sway Command Disable.pdf (164.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #51

I have a Tekonsha controller and don't intend to change tow vehicles. Based on recent posts and my research I would really like to find a Sway Command for sale and add it to my factory ready SLX195.

Does anyone know of a source for a new or used Sway Command for sale?
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #52

I'm picking up my new 212QB on Friday and will be towing it with my F150. I wonder if they will even offer me an option.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #53

Per our dealer Jayco is insisting on the recall of all Sway Command installed trailers. We got a hefty allowance toward a new sway bar.. with out lightweight TT can you point me to a good one..

The dealer also said we don't need sway control but as the Sway Command got activated twice on the Great Plains we disagree.

We do.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 02-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #54

Our new White Hawk is prepped but not installed. The dealer mentioned the issues before we purchased it.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #55

We have the Andersen with sway control built in.

I love the easy on / off hitching sequence that is way less effort than my old standard bar hitch with no sway control.

Only have about 4500 miles and have not felt any sway so it is either working or we are lucky. Did feel sway with my old hitch.

We have the 195rb behind a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Make sure your dealer knows how to install it or do it yourself. The brackets must be properly tightened or they will slip and you will need to reset them yourself on the road like I had to.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #56

Thanks Roger R.!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 02-01-2017, 09:05 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
We have the Andersen with sway control built in.

I love the easy on / off hitching sequence that is way less effort than my old standard bar hitch with no sway control.

Only have about 4500 miles and have not felt any sway so it is either working or we are lucky. Did feel sway with my old hitch.

We have the 195rb behind a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Make sure your dealer knows how to install it or do it yourself. The brackets must be properly tightened or they will slip and you will need to reset them yourself on the road like I had to.
Even tightened properly you may not completely eliminate slip. I went about 20lb/ft over the recommended 90lb/ft in the Andersen install manual and still had some slippage and ended up having the brackets tack-welded.

Kim Gass - I see you have a Ridgeline for TV. The Andersen is a weight-distributing hitch and I believe Honda recommends not using wdh with the Ridgeline, although I see plenty of folks including my neighbor around the corner do use them on their Ridgelines.

The no-sway function does work very well. We have the Baja edition 195RB which sits several inches higher than the standard edition and catches a bit more wind. We've got about 10K miles on ours and never had any problems. If you went this route you could just snug up the chains enough to engage the anti-sway but not so much as to engage much weight distribution. They have gone up a bit in price I see - just looked again on Amazon and see they are about $475 now. Ours was $375 2 1/2 years ago.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #58

Wow. I need to find more time to read the forum!
Our 2016 Jay Flight 29RKS is equipped with the Sway Command system. Our TV is a 2015 F350.
This is the first I have seen anything about this recall. No letter from Jayco, nothing.
I will contact my dealer and Jayco.
Thanks to everyone on the forum sharing this information
Tomworsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #59

It took my dealer about 25 minutes to complete the recall for the sway control. Not a big deal at all as far as time goes.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #60

Any updates on if this issue ever got resolved?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote