Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2016, 02:19 AM   #1

Wheel Alignment Problem

I recently travelled with a Starcraft "off road" popup caravan around WA. After approx 5000kms I found both tyres were badly worn on the inside edges with one being torn down to the canvas. This was changed to a new tyre which had to do another 5000kms to get to a wheel aligner (Jayco Darwin). Here I put on 1 new tyre & the 5000km one, & continued for a further 15000, by which time both tyres were again down to minimum on the inside edges. Another wheel alignment needed further major adjustment. So, 25000kms, 4 worn out tyres & 2 alignments. Has anyone else had problems like this?
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #2

It sounds to me like an overloaded trailer problem and you are bending the axle. Put your trailer on a scale and see what it weighs.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:55 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
It sounds to me like an overloaded trailer problem and you are bending the axle. Put your trailer on a scale and see what it weighs.
What he ^^^^ said.

If the trailer isn't overloaded, it may be the axle is bent. It's also unlikely, but possible, the wrong axle was installed and is too light duty for the trailer and its load.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:53 PM   #4

Thanks for the post. I am aware that the caravan is up near the max weight as there is not a lot of luggage weight available above the van empty wgt, but it is within limits. My main problem is the wheel alignment not staying correct -would a bent axle affect this?
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
I recently travelled with a Starcraft "off road" popup caravan around WA. After approx 5000kms I found both tyres were badly worn on the inside edges with one being torn down to the canvas. This was changed to a new tyre which had to do another 5000kms to get to a wheel aligner (Jayco Darwin). Here I put on 1 new tyre & the 5000km one, & continued for a further 15000, by which time both tyres were again down to minimum on the inside edges. Another wheel alignment needed further major adjustment. So, 25000kms, 4 worn out tyres & 2 alignments. Has anyone else had problems like this?
Initially I didn't catch the fact that you have had the trailer aligned twice.

Did they give you the before and after measurements for the axle camber?
Was the camber within specifications when you brought it in either time?
If the camber was incorrect, did they bend the axle to correct it?
Has the camber been checked with the trailer loaded?

You asked, "... the wheel alignment not staying correct -would a bent axle affect this?" The short answer is 'yes'.

When they do the alignment with the trailer unloaded, they could find negative camber. That would indicate a bent axle. It could also indicate loose wheel bearings, but the alignment service should check the bearings for that as part of the alignment process.

If the camber is OK with the trailer unloaded, then it is likely the trailer is being overloaded which deflects the axle causing the inside edge of the tire to wear excessively.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #6

When topping-off the PSI on my White Hawk 33RSKS, I noticed that 2 possibly 3 tires are wearing on the outside substantially. I took the trailer (loaded) thru the scales and it was 7,620 #; well within the land rating. Can this be adjusted? Who does this? Camping World doesn't.
NHstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #7

One of my four trailer tires was wearing quickly on the inside edge. Nearly all the tread was gone on that one edge within less than 10,000km and who knows how long it had been actually wearing for.

Turns out the axle was bent. I put new axles on this year (heavier duty) and towed over 5000km and there is no new visible wear.

If you do end up getting a new axle, upgrade to a stronger one.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Yes 16 Eagle 321 RSTS drivers side front tire outside edge worn to cord, Lippert 6K axles.I can attach Lippert axle tolerance! We are taking are axle into a local shop first to be repaired. Lippert makes you jump through a lot of hoops for warranty replacement. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Axle specs 6k Eagle.PDF (65.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf Warranty Lippert Hoops.PDF (41.6 KB, 5 views)
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #9

I think its to much toe in attached is Lipperts tolerances for 6k axles!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Axle specs 6k Eagle.PDF (65.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #10

Axle Warranty Procedure Lippert

Attached is the letter from Lippert for the warranty replacement of two 6k axles on my 16 Eagle 321 RSTS.Also there tolerances for those axles from Lippert.They want you to jump through a bunch of hoops!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Axle specs 6k Eagle.PDF (65.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: pdf Warranty Lippert Hoops.PDF (41.6 KB, 6 views)