Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #41

Berglund Outdoors is just outside of Roanoke, VA so I guess it would depend on where in Canada you're coming from....
Woolonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #42

Thanks, but I think it is about 3,500 miles.

Word of mouth advertising does carry some weight however!
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #43

Today I picked up my White Hawk sporting new axles from Dexter. My dealership put them on and my JayPlus Service Plan covered all of the labor for the dealership to install them. The dealership either covered my deductible or got Jayplus to waive it because I owed nothing.

I am very appreciative of the dealership making the deductible go away; however, I still felt it necessary to have a conversation with the service manager about why a more proactive action is being taken to resolve this issue for 2012 year model White Hawk owners.

The service manager tells me it is all about numbers. In other words the Jayco Bean Counters have not seen enough bending to issue a recall and therefore cover the costs. If Jayco doesn't issue a recall then the dealership does get paid for the labor. I get the fact that the dealership needs to pay its mechanics.

Dexter has recognized the problem and IS doing the right thing; Dexter sent fully assemble axles, everything is new except the wheels and tires. Jayco needs to step up and cover the labor at the authorized dealership and take care of the customers who by the White Hawk. I have a lot of respect for Dexter and I will make sure my future trailers have Dexter brand axles. Dexter and Connie in the warranty department know the true meaning of customer service and "doing what is right". Jayco, on the other hand - disappointing. Does Jayco watch the news and see what GM is going through?

The Jayplus extended service plan that I purchased as a second owner did not hesitate to authorize coverage when I called, yes, I called them. The service manager said he did not even think to call Jayplus because they usually only cover damaged or failing parts. I hope I helped they next owner who has the same issue.

Jayplus is not in anyway affiliated with Jayco but has recognized that the axles are a problem and cover the labor for axle replacement because, as the agent stated, we don't want to discover the problem later when it has caused more damage than just the axles.

I, like others have stated, feel like the trailer tows a lot smoother and with less bounce. It just feels more sturdy. If you have the undersized axles get them changed to the large diameter - you won't regret it.

Eaglechief_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #44

Just another followup to my axle issue. I submitted a complaint about Jayco to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, regarding the issue with axles. For those that would also like to submit a complaint here is the link- https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
I also spoke with the second level Jayco representative and he stated that it is a Dexter issue and Dexter is handling it. My reply to that was why did I have to contact everyone to get this resolved and why wasn't I notified of such issue by Jayco or Dexter axle for that matter. I continued to let the representative know that I completely lost trust in the Jayco product.
As stated in previous posts, Dexter axle, has been very easy to deal with and have sent out all necessary parts to fix my issue.
tim768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #45

I picked my camper (2012 Whitehawk 29SQb) up from storage a week ago and as I was walking around, I noticed that my tires were wearing very uneven.

I went camping this past week, but every time I walked by the camper, the tire situation bothered me.

When I got home, I checked my paperwork, and my camper came out of warranty on May 22, 2014.. drat, missed it by a month.

I did a quick GOOGLE search and found this thread on Monday night. Tuesday morning, I went to the dealer (where it's stored), took pictures and headed in to talk to the service manager.

Asked him about axle problems, he immediately asked if I had tire wear issues, I indicated yes. He asked me to email him pictures and descriptions and details. I used the data collection email from this thread and emailed him all the relevant info. He forwarded everything off to Dexter, I didn't have to do a thing.

Within 2 hours he had approval from Dexter for the axles and labor, and this morning, received additional approvals for 4 new tires as well.

Thanks to all who did such a great job documenting the issue.. It saved me a potential life threatening situation and/or a LOT of money.
emmysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #46

Whitehawk may be back on shopping list - thanks to Dexter.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #47

The new model Whitehawk has the larger axles. We love our 28DSBH. The 2014 model has some nice features including LED lights, curved wood trimmed ceiling, and floor to ceiling entertainment center.
Eaglechief_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #48

Apparently a good way to identify which axle you have is to look for the axle code on the sticker. The 2-3/8" axle is D35 and the 3" axle is D44.

My 2013 30DSRE was a later in the year build and I got lucky. My sticker has D44 indicated on it which you can find in the photo of it below.

Meanwhile, you can see the information about this axle on the Dexter website by following the link below.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/d44_axle

Hopefully, this will make it a lot easier for anyone concerned to identify which axle is on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0963.jpg  
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #49

Just a quick follow up to this thread. We had a catastrophic bearing failure on our 2012 Whitehawk on the road in upper Michigan.... When I took the weight off the wheel, it fell off, drum and all. Replaced the bearing in a parking lot, then headed for home in Ontario, stopping regularly to check wheel temperature. Two hundred miles later (320 kilometers for my fellow Canadians), and after greasing all the bearings, a second bearing blew. Replaced that one in a different parking lot. Took the trailer to a dealer to r&r all four, not trusting my work, and then my DW found this thread. Checked the tires, found rear tires almost bald, contacted Dexter, and they replaced the axles even though I am 3 months past warranty. Thanks, dexter. Great service. Like others, I feel Jayco has let us all down by not issuing a recall or warning on this issue.
Wizpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #50

Wow that's a scary experience.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #51

Thanks blkcorvair for the info, not sure what axles I have on my 2013 Jayco Eagle 31.5 RLTS but have bad tire wear on the inside tread on both of my rear axle tires!!! Took the 5th wheel to Camping World in Draper, Ut. and they have had it over a month and just got back with me to tell me that Jayco told the service department to get the ok from the axel manufacturer not them so I am still waiting to hear from them!!! I think they may be MORERIDE axels but not positive!!! But kinda getting tired of waiting because I've already had them winterize it but would like the warranty work to get done so I can bring it back home and put my cover on it before we get anymore snow here!!!
Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #52

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It is great a forum like this.............everybody is still learning. Even Jayco after 46 years. Dexter looks well after units that run on their Axle's. Just wonder who's faulty engineering design. Seems the proto type should run on the race tracks for a couple of months (day and night) before going on the production line.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #53

Does Dexter require you to send the removed axles and hardware and worn tires back or just picture of the bent axles cut in half???
Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumphers9a View Post
Does Dexter require you to send the removed axles and hardware and worn tires back or just picture of the bent axles cut in half???
I'm not 100% sure but I believe the dealership is suppose to cut the axles in half, take pictures and send the pictures of the axles back to Dexter. I am not sure if that happened or not at my dealership. I didn't ask as I was just very happy that mine was done. My dealership did a great job and was very good about it. They just didn't have any idea of the problem (not sure on that part).
Old 04-18-2015, 06:49 AM   #55

Its been a while since anything was added to this thread, so here's my story...

After finding this thread last Winter, I've been eagerly waiting to get my trailer out of storage so I can check the axles. This week, I did. I found my axles were both bent badly enough that when holding a 4' level (longest straight-edge I have) to the bottom of the axles, there was about a 1/4" gap in the middle between the axle and the level.

So, I called Dexter at 1-574-295-7888, explained to the receptionist that I was reading on the Jayco forum about axle problems with Jayco travel trailers. She transferred me to Connie (mentioned in a previous post). Couldn't ask for a more professional or friendly person to talk to on the phone. I saw in a previous post the picture of the D44 tag and asked if that's what I was getting. She said no.

Dexters axles are rated by weight. Both my current and replacements coming are rated at 3500lbs. My axles have the 2 3/8" tube and the replacements have the 3' tube, yet BOTH are D35 axles, hence the 3500 lb rating I'm guessing. I'd surmise the D44 label indicated in the above posting was for a trailer that HAD 4400lb axles? Only a guess, but seems to make sense.

Since my Jayco warranty ended 8 months ago, they would not cover labor for replacement. Since my trailer has low mileage, they are sending complete axles, which I believe she said include hubs and brake drums, rather than just axle tubes where everything needs to be changed over.

Here is the info she ask for, which thanks to this thread, I had ready:

Estimated mileage - My 2012 F-150 tracks it whenever the 7-pin connector is plugged in, so no estimation was necessary.
Date of purchase - Probably to determine if they'll cover labor.
Axle s/n - Stamped in housing and located to the right of axle label. I rubbed a soapstone pencil over it to make it more readable, some have used chalk.
Last 8 digits of trailer s/n - Label is located on road side of trailer, near the front.

Here's what I have:

2012 Jayco Whitehawk 26SRK, purchased 8/25/12.

They are shipping complete axles to where I work and I will put them in with my son's help. Hope this helps someone.

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #56
Site Team

Thanks for the post and pictures. Sure happy to hear you got satisfaction. I have always been treated fairly by Dexter. It's good to know that they stand behind their products.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:19 AM   #57

Is this a problem only on the WhiteHawks or are any of the Jay Flight trailers affected?
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Is this a problem only on the WhiteHawks or are any of the Jay Flight trailers affected?
I cannot answer your question. Mayeb Dexter knows? From what I've read here, Jayco considers it a Dexter issue once your trailer is out of warranty.

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #59
WCT

Wow this is some great information. I crawled under mine to find a sticker and neither axle has a sticker on it. I measured the circumference of the axle and it measured 9-1/2 inches and I divided that by pi, 3.14 as suggested in an earlier post, and it came out to 3.025. I'm assuming that is just over 3 inches because I'm far from being a mathematician, lol.

On my data sheet that came with my White Hawk it states the Axle's are 3500#. I think I will call on Monday and confirm I have the 3 inch Axles just to be safe. I purchased mine on March of 2014.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #60

Fatfenders, that is the correct camber for a camper axle. Whether or not 1/4" is the requirement, I don't know. If it was bent the other way (like a smile) then that is a problem. In any event at least they are sending beefier axles. Who knows how long the small ones would last before getting tweaked.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote