Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #51

Thanks blkcorvair for the info, not sure what axles I have on my 2013 Jayco Eagle 31.5 RLTS but have bad tire wear on the inside tread on both of my rear axle tires!!! Took the 5th wheel to Camping World in Draper, Ut. and they have had it over a month and just got back with me to tell me that Jayco told the service department to get the ok from the axel manufacturer not them so I am still waiting to hear from them!!! I think they may be MORERIDE axels but not positive!!! But kinda getting tired of waiting because I've already had them winterize it but would like the warranty work to get done so I can bring it back home and put my cover on it before we get anymore snow here!!!

Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #52

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It is great a forum like this.............everybody is still learning. Even Jayco after 46 years. Dexter looks well after units that run on their Axle's. Just wonder who's faulty engineering design. Seems the proto type should run on the race tracks for a couple of months (day and night) before going on the production line.

Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #53

Does Dexter require you to send the removed axles and hardware and worn tires back or just picture of the bent axles cut in half???
Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumphers9a View Post
Does Dexter require you to send the removed axles and hardware and worn tires back or just picture of the bent axles cut in half???
I'm not 100% sure but I believe the dealership is suppose to cut the axles in half, take pictures and send the pictures of the axles back to Dexter. I am not sure if that happened or not at my dealership. I didn't ask as I was just very happy that mine was done. My dealership did a great job and was very good about it. They just didn't have any idea of the problem (not sure on that part).
Old 04-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #55

Its been a while since anything was added to this thread, so here's my story...

After finding this thread last Winter, I've been eagerly waiting to get my trailer out of storage so I can check the axles. This week, I did. I found my axles were both bent badly enough that when holding a 4' level (longest straight-edge I have) to the bottom of the axles, there was about a 1/4" gap in the middle between the axle and the level.

So, I called Dexter at 1-574-295-7888, explained to the receptionist that I was reading on the Jayco forum about axle problems with Jayco travel trailers. She transferred me to Connie (mentioned in a previous post). Couldn't ask for a more professional or friendly person to talk to on the phone. I saw in a previous post the picture of the D44 tag and asked if that's what I was getting. She said no.

Dexters axles are rated by weight. Both my current and replacements coming are rated at 3500lbs. My axles have the 2 3/8" tube and the replacements have the 3' tube, yet BOTH are D35 axles, hence the 3500 lb rating I'm guessing. I'd surmise the D44 label indicated in the above posting was for a trailer that HAD 4400lb axles? Only a guess, but seems to make sense.

Since my Jayco warranty ended 8 months ago, they would not cover labor for replacement. Since my trailer has low mileage, they are sending complete axles, which I believe she said include hubs and brake drums, rather than just axle tubes where everything needs to be changed over.

Here is the info she ask for, which thanks to this thread, I had ready:

Estimated mileage - My 2012 F-150 tracks it whenever the 7-pin connector is plugged in, so no estimation was necessary.
Date of purchase - Probably to determine if they'll cover labor.
Axle s/n - Stamped in housing and located to the right of axle label. I rubbed a soapstone pencil over it to make it more readable, some have used chalk.
Last 8 digits of trailer s/n - Label is located on road side of trailer, near the front.

Here's what I have:

2012 Jayco Whitehawk 26SRK, purchased 8/25/12.

They are shipping complete axles to where I work and I will put them in with my son's help. Hope this helps someone.

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #56
Site Team

Thanks for the post and pictures. Sure happy to hear you got satisfaction. I have always been treated fairly by Dexter. It's good to know that they stand behind their products.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #57

Is this a problem only on the WhiteHawks or are any of the Jay Flight trailers affected?
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Is this a problem only on the WhiteHawks or are any of the Jay Flight trailers affected?
I cannot answer your question. Mayeb Dexter knows? From what I've read here, Jayco considers it a Dexter issue once your trailer is out of warranty.

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #59
WCT

Wow this is some great information. I crawled under mine to find a sticker and neither axle has a sticker on it. I measured the circumference of the axle and it measured 9-1/2 inches and I divided that by pi, 3.14 as suggested in an earlier post, and it came out to 3.025. I'm assuming that is just over 3 inches because I'm far from being a mathematician, lol.

On my data sheet that came with my White Hawk it states the Axle's are 3500#. I think I will call on Monday and confirm I have the 3 inch Axles just to be safe. I purchased mine on March of 2014.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #60

Fatfenders, that is the correct camber for a camper axle. Whether or not 1/4" is the requirement, I don't know. If it was bent the other way (like a smile) then that is a problem. In any event at least they are sending beefier axles. Who knows how long the small ones would last before getting tweaked.

2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote