Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Recall Notices
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

Whitehawk Wide Stance Axle Failure- first model years affected

after a little over a year of using my new 2013 whitehawk 28DSBH my rear wheels got way out of camber. I looked under the trailer and the axle was bending!

I called Dexter Axles directly, gave them a few numbers from my trailer and the axle tubes and they confirmed that they have been having this issue with early whitehawks that had the wide stance axles. I know the 28DSBH like mine does. Turns out that during tight manuvering all that tire deflection is bending the axles.

They agreed to have any dealer I choose install new axles. Since I feel more comfortable doing things myself I asked if that was a possiblity and they had no problem. they shipped me two complete axles with new Brakes, Drums and Spings, all assembled and ready to install. they also said if I had any abnormal tire wear, they would pay to replace the tire.

Im really impressed with they way Dexter stood up as they are even paying me a few bucks to make the repairs. I just have to send in a pic of the old axles cut in half.

If you have a whitehawk with the Wide Stance Axles, go outside and check them now! If they are 2-3/8" Axle tubes, than you will likely have this issue. The new Trailers are coming with upgraded 3" Axle tubes and that is what they sent me.
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #2

Im installing mine tomorrow . Ill update with pics!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #3

Although not an official recall, the mod/admin team agreed to jump the gun and move this to the Recall Forum because it's important enough that Dexter is replacing the axles . Good to know Dexter took care of you! Thanks for posting the info.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the move. the new Axles are in and they are substaintially larger than what came out. Brakes, drums and hubs all the same. Just glad to get rolling straight again!
Old 08-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcorvair View Post
Thanks for the move. the new Axles are in and they are substaintially larger than what came out. Brakes, drums and hubs all the same. Just glad to get rolling straight again!
What was the build date on your WhiteHawk? Or, the manufacture date of the axles. When you say bent, how? What should I be looking for? The axles on our trailer appear to have nothing more than the normal arcing done for wheel camber. I won't worry...............yet.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #6

I am glad I saw this post. I am getting ready to take my 28DSBH from Florida to Smokey Mountains in 14 days. If you look back at my post from a year ago, you will see I had very unusual tire wear after one long trip. The dealer told me there was nothing wrong and put a new tire on it. I am pretty sure this may be the culprit. I just wonder if I can get it fixed in less than two weeks. Thanks for your heads up
Equalizer Brand 10,000 lb. WD Hitch
Bamm737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #7

We had a blow-out on August 10. We have about 1,700 miles on our trailer. Both rear tires went bald on the inside edges. I called Jayco directly (I thought it was an alignment issue) and they told me about the axle issue. I called my dealer and gave him all the info, and who to contact at Dexter. I am still waiting to hear from my dealer with an install date.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #8

The OP never came back with specific info about his WhiteHawk. Bam or CaH: Can either of you tell me the build date of your trailer or the manufacturing date of the Dexter axles? My 27DSRL was built in Sept. 2012 and IIRC, the labels on the Dexter axles indicated a manufacturing date of July 2012 or a little earlier. Just trying to determine if I have or will have a problem. Haven't really put enough miles on the trailer yet to even see any real tire wear.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #9

Update for my 28DSBH. I crawled under the trailer and took a picture with my cell phone of the manufacture sticker on the axle. The sticker has two pieces of information that you will need. The order number and the right above it is a number I believe is called the DEX#. You will also need to confirm that your axles are 42 inches apart from the center of each axle. Dexter says if your axles are only 35 inches apart you do not have a problem. I believe all the WhiteHawks are 42 inches, but I measured anyway. Lastly you will need to have your Jayco's VIN before you call Dexter. I came home and called Dexter directly and asked to speak to the warranty department. I was connected to an awesome employee named Denise. She asked me for all the above information. Once that was confirmed, she just wanted to know where I wanted the two new complete axle and break assemblies shipped. I called my local dealer, Orlando RV and they were overbooked for work and could not touch it until October. I am going to the Smokeys in 2 weeks. Orlando RV called me back with a trailer company that could do the work. I called the trailer company, worked out a repair date and then called Denise back at Dexter. She then called the trailer company, worked out the shipping and labor payment details. On September 5th I am getting two brand new 3 inch axles. I will feel much better on our long trip. Mostly I want to thank Denise and the people at Dexter! Way to stand behind a product! No hassles, fast, friendly and even some extra help.

Thomas, the build date on my axle was before 6/11/12. I suggest to you and anyone else with a WhiteHawk call Dexter in Elkhart IN directly between 8AM and 5PM EST at 574-295-7888. Work with them and set up your own repair location. I would not wait for a dealer or RV store to get back to you when this can be done on your own within an hour.

Thanks again to blkcorvair and all the other good people on this site. I hate to think what I would not have known if not for the information you can get on the Jayco forum.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #10

Bamm: Thanks for the information. Long and short of this issue is if it's determined I have the bum axles, there's no need to involve Jayco since it's a separately warranted component from Dexter, and any authorized Dexter dealer can handle the replacement. I'll harvest the information and give them a call, but will have to wait until this compression fracture in my middle spine heals and I'm out of this god forsaken brace so I can crawl under the trailer!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #11

Do you measure the axles from the outside? If so mine look close to 3 inches outside diameter.
lsttype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #12

Measure axle from edge to edge, not around the axle. If you want to measure the circumference around the axle, take that number and divide by Pi(3.14) and you will get the diameter. The faulty axle is 2 3/8 inches so eyeballing it is probably difficult.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #13

I sent an e-mail via Dexter's website last week regarding the WhiteHawk axles. I received a response from Denise Schrock of Dexter's service/warranty dept. Not only did she assure me the axles on our trailer were 3" tubes, she included a pdf copy of the Dexter "build" sheet for each axle, listing all details right down to the brake size and part numbers. Now that's service!

And I did send a reply thanking her for the abundance of info.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #14

I called today on my 2012 Whitehawk 28DSBH. Also spook with Denise Schrock.
Because I am the 2nd owner of the trailer, they do not cover labor.
They are going to send me the 3" axle tubes, u'bolts and axle plates to me, and I'm going to install. I will need to swap the brakes from my existing axles.

I am grateful for this forum, as probably wouldn't have known about this. THANKS!!

Previous camper-2010 Starcraft Travel Star Sport 175RK
Previous TV-2008 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4
NHcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #15

NHcamper, although I did not have to pay for the work done on my trailer, the labor charge on the bill was $160. Dexter says the job should take no more than 2.5 hours. The Tech at David's Trailer in Orlando told me it took him a little less time than that. When I first dropped it off, the tech was no closer than 15 feet to my trailer when he said, "wow your axles are messed up." I knew I had a problem, but it was not that obvious to me. When I picked it up, the tech told me I had one axle that was fairly bent. So glad I got this fixed. Leaving in the morning for a 12 hour tow to Williamsburg, then a few days later to the Smokey Mountains. I will feel much better towing now.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #16

I had the same situation on our 2012 26 DSRB the rear axle is the one that bent. I let my dealer take care of the details and he had the new axles within a few days. It only took him 2 hours to remove the old and install the new axles we are on our first long trip with the new axles. They seem to ride nicer not as much bounce. I agree check your axles and get them replaced you will have problems eventually.
runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #17

Has anyone recieved notification from Jayco or Dexter that they have the wrong axles on their rv?
runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #18

There were at least 2 other 28DSBH's at the CG with us last week. My brother spoke to them about the axle issues and they had no idea about this problem. He took a peak and said the axles were arched a lot more then our 28DSBH. They were thankful and were going to see about getting them fixed.

We have one more short trip planned in a few weeks and then we'll be bringing ours in for this too.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #19

I contacted Dexter Monday 10/21, the rep sent me an E-mail telling me what information I had to send to them. I have the list below.
I received another E-mail today telling me they are sending me the new axles. They asked where I wanted them sent. I was pleasantly suprised by the quick response.

The Length of the Trailer.
The Estimated Mileage of the Trailer.
The Model name of the Trailer.
The Model number of the Trailer.
The Number of axles on the Trailer.
The Date of Purchase of the Trailer.
The Axle Serial Number. XXXXXXXXX (located to the right of info tag on axle rub some chalk to hi-lite the numbers for ease of reading)
The casting number off of the Equalizer: (13-xxx) ( The peice between the leaf springs)
The VIN Number of the Trailer.
Pictures and description of your issue.

US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #20

Well Dexter sent the new axles to an RV dealer close to me. They installed them yesterday. Today I picked up the old axles Which i had to cut in half, so they could not be used again. i don't have a picture of the new axles installed, but I've got a couple of pictures of them on the ground as well as the old ones cut in half.Click image for larger version

Name:	New axles.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	10587Click image for larger version

Name:	Old axles.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	10588
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote