Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #1

12 Volt System Works (2006 19H) but I don't know why

I had a strange thing happen to me so I'm looking for a reasonable explanation. I plugged in the camper to shore power. We had AC & microwave but no lights, radio and fridge. I did some research and learned those items run on off an inverter to 12v. So, I check fuses and they were good. I don't have a battery but decided to hook up the battery leads to my truck. Boom! I had lights. So now I'm thinking maybe it's the inverter or something. I unhooked the battery and went back in to test the fuse panel and it was getting 12v and I happen to look over my shoulder and notice the lights were still on even with the truck disconnected. Success! Somehow, using the truck battery I magically fixed the problem. But how? And should I worry if anything might be failing or about to fail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ddan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #2

It would seem that your inverter was not working. By connecting the battery you apparently must have energized your inverter back into action. Don't understand why but I would be very suspicious of the inverter for a while. Its all electronic, so there is no mechanical parts to malfunction. Be happy while it works but start checking your battery voltage when you put one in. It should always be 13.2 volts or higher when hooked up to shore power. If less then that it probably means that the inverter is not doing it's job.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #3

I was getting 12.8v at the fuse panel off the inverter for what that's worth.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #4

Hook up a good battery and see what your voltage is. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but your inverter should be putting out a minimum of 13.2 volts with a battery connected. Thats at it's lowest with voltage going up to 13.6 or more. Newer multistage converters go up to 14.4 volts.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:29 PM   #5

If it turns out to be a faulty converter, it is in your best interest to make sure that you replace it with a multistage converter.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #6
Site Team

Some battery charge controllers check to see if there is a voltage on the 12Volt side. If the voltage is not there then it will not supply 12 volts/charge. I would wait until you get the battery for the TT and then make the decision as to if you need a new converter. Can you give us the make and model of your TT's controller and we can see what it designed to do?

An inverter converts 12VDC to 110VAC.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #7

I will look for the model number but just to be clear, what I called an inverter is actually a controller? And that's the make & model number you need.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddan7 View Post
I will look for the model number but just to be clear, what I called an inverter is actually a controller? And that's the make & model number you need.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #9

Old 07-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #10

I think all cars work the same way. I bought a cheap used car once on Craig's List and when I picked it up it didn't have a battery.
I thought 'no problem' I'll jump start it and drive it home without a battery- just run it off the alternator.
Won't work- a cars voltage regulator won't tell the alternator to produce electricity unless it sees a battery. I'll bet the charge circuit in an RV inverter is similar.

Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:49 PM   #11

The manual for your model indicates a Bad battery = low output. No Battery, probably means no output unless you jump it ?. I know I had a micro processed unit like this a few years back. If my battery was below a certain voltage it wouldn't turn on. Also when you store, I'd disconnect battery if you don't have the switch disconnect. And make sure battery is at acceptable voltage prior to use.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #12

Is it possible that the "empty" leads for the battery were somehow grounding out and the charger/controller stopped sending power to the 12V system because it sensed a short?
DadRich is offline   Reply With Quote