Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #11
Last year I replaced my backing plates with new self adjusting Dexter brakes and re-packed the original 2004 bearings (after cleaning). New seals also. If the bearing is not damaged it can be cleaned and re-packed. I use Amalie Blue Hi temp synthetic wheel bearing grease.

Also did wet bolts. I was busy...

2004 Jayco JayFlight 285RKS 5th Wheel
2001 Dodge Ram (SOLD)
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
So I should replace the bearings in my 2000 F250 TV because they are 16+ years old? Like some one said if it ain't broke don't fix it. Other than tires it has gotten nothing but regular maintenance at 150K, most of which has been pulling a 5W.
Big difference. F250 hubs, if it's 4wd, are very expensive. Rears are fairly decent. The bearings in the trailer don't even compare in price.

4wd hubs are $500 btw..

2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2012 Ford F250 6.2L 4x4 CCSB W/Air Lift air bags
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
2002 Coleman Bayside Elite (traded)
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #13
Thank you all for the responses, looks like we're leaning towards keeping them. I will let them know if there are any doubt throw them out! Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
genxrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #14
I only know about boat trailer bearings. They are put in severe service, being submerged in water at every use.

In 48 years of towing a trailer i have never replaced a bearing. Seals, yes - annually. I have never seen a bearing wear out.

My current trailer is 33 years old and the bearings look like new.

Last year I bought an old antique trailer that was poorly cared for. Naturally, I replaced EVERYTHING. Glad my other trailers still have good quality USA bearings, because the chinacrap you get today is pitiful.

If your current bearings are not USA, then maybe you DO want to replace them.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #15
I picked up the rig today at my local Jayco dealer and they did an amazing job. The bearings were ok just as a lot of you had said just needed repacking and new seals. ( this is where it gets ugly) the seals were totally gone which I suspected with the grease leaking out onto the rims. The ugly is the past owners did not realize this and as grease was added it was saturating the brake pads making them useless. The guys also found two magnets not working at all and a host of rust issues preventing the springs and linkage from working on one side of both axles. So in the end one side got all new back plates with b pads and hardware. The other side got new pads. The service manager said I only had 20% trailer brakes, no wonder I had to set the boost to level three! I'm now back on two with the gain at seven.(P3 controller) I also had a lift kit installed while they had it apart to raise the backend up four inches and man did it make a world of difference not only being level now but less bounce and less of the back of the truck feeling like it's being picked up over bumps. Here are a few picks I posted on my mods thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

genxrainman is offline   Reply With Quote