Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #1

2010 33rlds major problems.

My wife and i bought ourselves a shiny new 2010 TT on December 24/2011. This was our Christmas present to ourselves.
At first we loved the unit and hauled that thing everywhere. We were not without our problems. the first time we were leaving for a trip to Idaho, the water pump wouldn't work, luckly the dealer replaced it while we waited. In the last 10 months, it has been at the dealer for almost 2 months getting repairs done. As i type this the unit is once again back at the dealer for the last 10 days and i am being told it may be another week.
here is a list of my problems.
i will start with problems that have been fixed.
1-water pump- replaced
2-hot water tank- replaced (twice)
3-leak at lower back of dinette seat-repaired (still waiting for facia board...2 months)
4-leak at back left shelves-repaired
5-co2 detector was faulty-replaced
new and ongoing problems
1-carpet fraying on right slider-was told we were waiting for approval from Jayco (2 months)
2-kitchen floor has buckled
3-carpet buckled in bedroom, traveland tried to re-stretch, put a 1.5" dia hole in middle of carpet.....waiting 2 months for replacement
4-kitchen sink leaks
5-bathroom sink has cracked.... traveland noted that nothing was dropped in it to do this.
6-awning leaks
7-leak at back right hand side shelves... wood trim has swollen out
8-ceiling at entrance is bowing down
9-ceiling above table is peeling (due to water damage?)
10-sliders drag on floor when opening or closing.
11-couch cusions have lost all firmness..... can feel the steel bars when sitting down
12-dinette cusions have lost all firmness. can feel the wood when sitting on them
13-bedroom mattress is shot... can feel all springs in the mattress
14-oven doesn't always light.... have to hold pilot light for 7-8 minutes to have it remain on.

Today i received a call from the dealer telling me that the lino for the kitchen is not available anymore and we have to pick out a new design. The will only lay the lino over the existing and not under cabinets.(cut around them) and it will not be a perfect job.
2 calls and 3 emails to jayco have not been returned.
Kinda of at my wits end with this unit and do not recommend purchasing.
Sean597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'd be a little peeved too.
Sounds like a lot of water damage.
Cushions don't surprise me, RV cushions are pretty cheap stuff.
I guess I would go to small claims court and file suit for maximum $3,000 and see if I got their attention. Only costs about $9.00

Hope you get some results.

Best regards,
Doug
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #3

the cushions are what they are..... i do however own a 1991 14.5' security camper that we purchased new. it is now 21 years old and the king mattress and dinette cushions are like new.(still rock hard).
Guess the new material they use is to bring the weight down.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #4

does the "lemon law" apply to TT's? If so I think I would go for it! Your unit must have been the last one built on Christmas Eve or something. Good luck to you.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #5

Someone in the last year posted some good info on help if you have a 'lemon rv'. This isn't the link, but maybe it could help find out about your state's rv lemon laws...
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean597 View Post
snip.....Today i received a call from the dealer telling me that the lino for the kitchen is not available anymore and we have to pick out a new design. The will only lay the lino over the existing and not under cabinets.(cut around them) and it will not be a perfect job.....snip
Sorry to hear about all the problems...., but I had to have all my lino replaced under warranty a few years ago. What my Jayco dealership did was use a razor knife to cut out the old lino along the floor edge of the cabinets, door jams, walls, etc., and once he had the old lino out he used it as a template for the new. To address the lino trim edge at the cabinets, etc., he installed some quarter round that actually turned out better than the original IMO.

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #7

As i live in Canada, at this time we do not have lemon laws... We do have a consumer protection agency which i have already contacted.
As of tonight, the dealer informed us that they will need another 2 weeks or so to finish the repairs. also told us that the new lino will affect the resale and trade in value because it won't match the existing under
the cabinets. They will not remove the cabinets and will only "push" the new lino under them, which will curl up.
they also informed that the peeling above the dinette on the ceiling was just overspray of some sort starting to flake........ i call bull****.
the buckle in the kitchen floor was not properly screwed down at the manufacturer..... they said it is now fixed. nice to know that my TT was bending in the middle.

Rustic Eagle... thanks for the photo's, that looks great.. i will mention that to them and see what they say. The other problem is that the new lino doesn't match the rest of the decor.. very light in color compared to original.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean597 View Post
snip....The other problem is that the new lino doesn't match the rest of the decor.. very light in color compared to original.
Tell them you want to see some more color samples, and what they are offering isn't good enough.

In respect to the lino installation, I wouldn't see what they think....., I would take the position since they aren't installing the new lino under the cabinets like the existing lino, then you expect the quarter round being incorporated. I'm also not to crazy about the idea of placing the new lino over the old.

That's just me

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm also not to crazy about the idea of placing the new lino over the old.
that's what i told them seeing how they had to cut the floor apart to fix the buckle in it. guess i will keep fighting with them. Problem is, they are the only Jayco dealer in the area.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #10

Sean, I am sorry to hear that your having so many issues with your trailer. I know it rains a lot in the lower mainland but that's still no reason to have so many leaks on such a new trailer. Traveland charged me 25 percent restocking fee for returning a extra Max Air vent cover I bought there. Later when I wanted a Jayco trailer they had I purchased the same one from Voyager RV in Winfield. 250 miles away. It was also over 3000 dollars cheaper than Travelland. My jayco is having warranty work done on it now. I take it to the Jayco dealer across the line in Mount Vernon.Blade RV. An hours drive from you. Very happy with them so far. The manager phoned me from California while on holidays to update me on the repairs. It takes 3 weeks for parts to come from Jayco.
I do like Bobs suggestion but here is one more. Phone Jayco and ask if they would pay to have laminate put down. The color match and look would be better. Given all the problems you had they may agree. You also have a opportunity to get rid of the cheap plastic sink. Get a nice stainless steel one put in. Ask Jayco to have a Seal Tec test done to check for anymore leaks, but not by Travelland. Lastly there is another Jayco dealer in Aldergrove called Kustom Koach. Not very far from Langley.Good Luck
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #11

thanks Richard,
I just found out about Kustom Koach being a repair depot for jayco. I actually live closer to them.

I finally got somewhat of a reply from jayco this morning.
Quote:
Sean,
With the linoleum being No loner Available , there are two options, one you can pick something that we are currently using in our models or we will authorize you to go locally and find a pattern you would be happy with. Our allotted amount to go locally is $15.00 syd for 19syd. Should the purchased linoleum be more than our allowed amount it would be your responsibility to cover the extra cost.

To address the linoleum repair: we have authorized for the floor buckle to be repaired and that once the repair is complete to install luan throughout, because the linoleum is a full glue there is no way of removing all the linoleum and glue and get a clean surface.. By installing 1/8" luan this will allow for a clean surface for the glue and new linoleum to adhere to. As far as the inside the cabinets, it is our repair that on a linoleum replacement that we only go to the cabinet and install 1/4" trim at the base to keep the linoleum from peeling back.

I know that you have expressed that they would like the linoleum installed inside the cabinets, this is not something that would be covered under warranty. I have asked Traveland if they would be willing to install the extra pieces inside the bases, along with 1/4, should they decline coverage, you may ask for a estimate on a cost for them to install or ask that all extra prices be left in trailer for you to install later.

Thank you,
Vickie Hopper
Jayco Customer Service
Old 11-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Sean,

Sounds like you are making some progress and Jayco appears to be working with you on the new floor selection. As long as the lino "inside" the cabinets isn't damaged (if so, this should be a warranty claim issue), I would tend to leave that area alone as I did with my repair (working around plumbing, etc.), also because it would have been my dime .

As far as not removing the existing lino, well, I thought Jayco stopped gluing the lino down..., but I do know that they have gone back and forth on this. I thought gluing the lino down was determined to be problematic (cracking, etc.) with cold weather temp swings (I could be wrong on this). My new lino wasn't glued down and I haven't had any problems with it cracking or visibly moving around with Michigan winters (the old lino was removed).

Anyway, glad that progress is being made.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 11-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #13

As I looked at your list of problems I didn't see many of the same issues we had with our trailer. Our list of problems is at least as long as yours is. Jayco has fixed MOST problems to our satisfaction.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #14

Sean597, sorry to hear about your issues. Couple of questions, Do you believe your repair issues are with Jayco or the local dealer. I do know some dealers seem to want to sell them but are not skilled at repairing them. As another member posted there appears to be a few dealers a little farther away. It may be worth a few phone calls and speak with the service managers, to see if they may be able to help you better. It also sounds like you have had a few water leaks, has anyone addressed where the water is coming in? It may be also be worth a call to your insurance company as they have a great set of lawyers, and maybe able to help guide you towards lemon law type solution for where you live.

Sorry for my rambling below;
Here is a story I had dealing with a major electronics corporation regarding a PDA. The claim was definitely a lot smaller than yours, however, persistence and patents can and will pay off. I purchased this PDA and at the time they had a deal that you purchased it and mailed in a rebate like card and they sent you a deluxe cover for free. Great! Less than a year later the screen broke because the cover had a snap closure directly over the glass screen. I called and sent it as instructed. They mailed it back telling me the damage was my fault. After a few more calls and a few more times sending it in, I got really frustrated; I know the damage was caused by their poorly designed cover. I knew the unit was fairly cheap ($300?), and lawyer fees for the electronics company would be great if I took them to small claims court. I did a little research and found the info I needed from the company. I that I was going to need to take them to Federal Court as it would be an interstate lawsuit, it also required some kind of vendor ID number (do not recall what it was called anymore). I called up to ask for the information. I explained the situation calmly, and what I was planning to do. The gentlemen on the other end explained that he was not the admin that I called but the VP of the division and only answered the phone as it was ringing on the main line for their office. He requested I sent it directly to him and I had a new one within a week or two.

The moral of my long ramble. It does take patents sometimes and finding the correct people to get the task done. Making an international call to Jayco maybe a pain and expensive. But I would speak with the service representative and keep working your way up the ladder until you can find the right person to help you.

Good Luck be patent and diligent, I know I would be very frustrated too.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #15

Jagiven,
thanks for the input
In Canada we do not have lemon laws and the consumer protection agency can only arbirtrate the case. The dealer i take my unit to sells more Jaycos than anyone else around here and are only 25 minutes from my house.
I did find another authorized service depot but they do not have any jaycos on their lot, mostly springdales. I'm not too sure if they would be any better.
The rv dealer i bought it from we very good at the time of sale, however nat the service level it seems that they really couldn't care less. there are so many jaycos in their service lot that i couldn't count them all. It takes 2-3 weeks just to get an appointment with them.
As for jayco customer service.... i have called 4 times now and have sent 5 emails and only got i response from them.
I have now sent them a email informing them that when i get my unit back... to me, jayco just doesn`t care.

Jayco did tell me that i could go pick out different lino if i don`t like what the are proposing and they will pay 15.00 a yard. the cheapest i found last night that was close to the original was 22.95 a yard. That means that i have to cough up the other 7.95per yard my self(need 19 yds) and the dealer wants 95.00 per hour to install it under cabinets, or free if they just ``but`` it up to them.
Still not going to see my TT for at least another 7-9 days.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
As far as not removing the existing lino, well, I thought Jayco stopped gluing the lino down..., but I do know that they have gone back and forth on this. I thought gluing the lino down was determined to be problematic (cracking, etc.) with cold weather temp swings (I could be wrong on this). My new lino wasn't glued down and I haven't had any problems with it cracking or visibly moving around with Michigan winters (the old lino was removed).
Bob, how did you determine that your lino wasn't glued down? The reason I ask is that in our bathroom we have a spot that feels like it is not contacting the subsurface and may have debris under it. I am a bit concerned about how they would go about repairing it. I am hoping to avoid an rip and replace of glued-down lino.

Thx,

Mike
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefos View Post
Bob, how did you determine that your lino wasn't glued down? ....snip
Mike,

My repair on my '05' Eagle took place in '07'..., and my Jayco dealer already had the new lino in place and was installing the quarter round when I came for a status visit. The tech made the comment "that the old lino came up easy after making the razor knife perimeter cuts, and since they (Jayco) don't glue the lino down anymore we have to use the quarter round to hold the lino in place (in lieu of the cabinets)".

To answer your question directly, I would call Jayco with your VIN and ask them if they glued the lino in your TT. Another way would be to remove the metal entry door floor molding (I believe it is screwed in place) and see if there is evidence of the lino being glued. Or, open up one of the floor cabinet doors and look for a pipe going through the floor and check for signs of glue around the lino (may have to cut the lino with a blade and pull it back a little).

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 11-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #18

Sean597,
I bought my first trailer from Kustom Koach, a Wilderness bunk model. This trailer had lots of issues and was forever being fixed and was one of the reasons I went with Jayco this time. Kustom Koach does sell lots of Jayco tent trailers, however you'll notice that no two dealers sell the same line of trailers in our area. I do agree with the fellow who mentioned that finding the right person at Jayco is key to having a good outcome. Sometimes we have to compromise when it comes to situations like this. Try and get the best deal you can out of Jayco and look at it as an opportunity to change it to a style you might like even better than the origional.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Mike,

My repair on my '05' Eagle took place in '07'..., and my Jayco dealer already had the new lino in place and was installing the quarter round when I came for a status visit. The tech made the comment "that the old lino came up easy after making the razor knife perimeter cuts, and since they (Jayco) don't glue the lino down anymore we have to use the quarter round to hold the lino in place (in lieu of the cabinets)".

To answer your question directly, I would call Jayco with your VIN and ask them if they glued the lino in your TT. Another way would be to remove the metal entry door floor molding (I believe it is screwed in place) and see if there is evidence of the lino being glued. Or, open up one of the floor cabinet doors and look for a pipe going through the floor and check for signs of glue around the lino (may have to cut the lino with a blade and pull it back a little).

Hope this helps.

Bob
Great info Bob, thanks. I will take a peek in the floor cabinets next trip to the TT.

Mike
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #20

still no response from Jayco as to what they are willing to do for us. My unit is still at the dealer with no work complete.
I go in on saturday to discuss the possibility of a new TT. The service manager has told us that our TT is really not worth repairing and there is no trade in value.there are too many problems and will take weeks to finish. Jayco has only authorized for some of the repairs to be done. The are not replacing the carpet that is falling apart, but sent it out for repair. go figure. If we can make some sort of deal with the dealer on a new one...they are going to put the old lino back down. Was told that there was no sense on putting new lino down.
I have reported Jayco to BBB(US site) as well as consumer protection agency here in Canada
I'll keep you all posted as to what happens.