Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2014, 11:58 PM   #1

Exclamation 2013 Jayco Jayflight SLX 184BH

This is the third trip since I bought the 2013 Jayflight 184 BH. I've put a total of 1000 miles on it over good paved roads. Trip # 3, October, 2014.; I tried the microwave oven for the first time. It lights up, carousal spins, fan runs, clock works but it doesn't heat food. I read the manual and it said that the warranty is void if the microwave is mounted over the stove. That's where Jayco mounts the microwaves! Go figure.
Then, while furling up the awning, the black ribbon which is used to furl and unfurl the awning breaks three inches from the furling roll. Oh well! I decide to take a walk with the dogs on a Pacific northwest beach and wash off their sandy paws with the outside shower when I get back. I discover the plastic keeper is cracked on the shower head. This is the first time I've attempted to use this outside shower and the temperatures and UV aren't particularly strong up here on the Olympic Peninsula. Did I forget to mention that when I turned on the galley sink faucet it sprayed all over? The darn thing is leaking the entire length of the faucet and at the base as well! The microwave, sink faucet and outside shower head will have to be replaced. On trip #1, the front window fractured in a million pieces and I had the shattered tempered glass replaced with vehicle windshield glass so I won't be blessed with 10,000 shards of tempered glass all over the double bed/ table ever again! It's a good thing I don't need air conditioning where I camp, because I'm almost certain that if I needed it, it would fail! Thank goodness the heater works! I'm not too sure if the water heater is still working because we had to do our dishes outside in the rain due to the sink faucet (seamed plastic) that was spraying everywhere and dripping water onto the cupboard shelves below. The outside (former ) shower became our sink faucet and a tea kettle our water heater. This barely used trailer is two years old and lightly used in a gentle environment. It's stored at my home and attended to like a new born babe.
Islandfirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Sorry for the trouble you have with this 184BH, Jayco depend on the quality accessories of their suppliers which is beyond their control. This is with all the trailer mfg's If the warranty is past the 2 years then with a bit innovation most DIY's can fix things themselves. We all go through some things that breaks in our house or vehicle etc. Unfortunately RV parts are expensive, but then some parts you can replace with home use parts but will add a bit more weight to the RV. As for your awning you still can pull it out manually and replace the strap. Use the strap of a cheap ratchet strap and remove the hook, a little bit sewing and install it. Mfg is mass production. When I buy a new or used TT I always bring it up to my standards. Good luck with the repairs.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #3

Repairs underway

I see that leaking RV faucets is a common problem on RV's and a fairly easy fix. The microwave will have to be replaced. I don't have a warranty because I'm the second owner. The first owner had it for three weeks and traded it in on a larger model, so I got it for a good price. I opted not to buy the dealers coverage because it was so expensive and not all inclusive. With my luck, something would break that isn't covered!
Old 11-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #4

Reading through this thread has me thinking I made a wise choice in buying the extended warranty on my 2015 Jayco Jay Featherlight SLX16. We took it on its first camping trip, and everything worked flawlessly. I began to wonder if I paid too much for the warranties, but now I'm thinking I did good to buy them (one for the appliances, and one for the pop out materials)
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #5

As it turns out, everything was an easy fix. I replaced the microwave oven myself, didn't cost much for the new oven an installation was easy. Also replaced the galley faucet with an off the shelf improved model, everything lined up perfectly and installation was easy with the appropriate faucet wrench. I bought a new awning cord at the local RV store for $10.00 and will tackle that when it quits raining. I also bought a new outside shower head and line for $10.00 at the RV store and replacing it was easier than I would have imagined. I simply removed the rear bunk cover and access was easy. Total cost of repairs: $120.00 parts. Labor: free and done by me in my driveway.

Tags
no excuse for this!