Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #1

28BHBE Slide out twisting

I recently purchased a 2015 28BHBE and while going through it fixing all the little things (moving curtains so they covered windows, aligning cupboard latches so they would latch and moving the screws in the entertainment center so they were actually going into the support boards) I noticed the rear bench seat for the table was busted apart, so as I was getting ready to rebuild it I noticed that when the slide out is fully retracted the floor and wall twist enough, just in the rear, that it was busting the bench apart and had actually pulled one of the screws out of the floor, I decided that this should probably go back to the dealer. The dealer tells me that the bench shouldn't come apart but the twist is normal, now I see that they put the first screw in about a foot and a half back so the floor can raise and lower a bit without pulling on the bench but I don't think it should twist, in my mind the walls and floor can only twist so many times before they crack, I'm curious if others are seeing this as well or am I being fed a line.
S.Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:59 PM   #2

Gosh-all-mighty - sorry to hear about the skewed slide but personally, suggest you don't do anything that might invalidate your warranty! Our dealer told us to compile a punch list of things they need to address, we did that and now are working on #2; DH is a licensed contractor and could do the "fixes", but right now he'd rather be the QC for the dealer's work (on their dime and time). BTW, no issues with our slide.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #3

I hear ya, the little things I wasn't to worried about but I did take it to the dealer for the twist, was really curious if others see the twist as well, if they are then I guess it is what it is, just seems strange.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #4

No twist so far

Well thanks for sharing it's something I'll be watching for but haven't noticed so far on our 28bhbe
CraigL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #5

I'm not sure if I understand your problem. Is it a twist or a bow in the center of the slide. Why I ask is that I have a bow in the center of mine when it's in and the dinette back pulls away from the wall and almost past the aluminum "L" bracket. So what I did was I put a 1x6 on the floor before I pull the slide in and the dinette back rests on this board and prevents it from bowing.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #6

When I removed the drawer I saw the screws had pulled up about 3/8s to 1/2" just like your saying. That board put a stop to that problem. It stoped the bouncing up and down while driving down the highway and keeps it from saging when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #7

Thanks, I will look at that when I get it back, I only remember seeing it in the corner though, but maybe I just didn't notice.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #8

We just took delivery of a 32BHDS we have not used it yet but I am thinking your idea with the 1"x6" is a good one, if only for a safety.
Plaid, Mrs. Plaid, Kids Sage & Bear
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
We just took delivery of a 32BHDS we have not used it yet but I am thinking your idea with the 1"x6" is a good one, if only for a safety.
That 1x6 is 18" long and it has never done any damage to the underside of the slideout. Now when my slide is in it's up 2+ inches yours might be more or less so check first. I could use a shim on that board but I'm happy with the way it is now.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #10

So today, I went to pull in the bunkhouse slide and it jammed. I could not get it in more then halfway. Went underneath and found two screws pulled out that were jamming it. I don't know if this was a mistake at factory or if the slide is twisting and the screws are pulling out? It has me concerned, I called the dealer about we will see what they have to say. I am not overwhelmed with confidence that they will tell me the truth or have the expertise to do a good job making a repair anyway.
Plaid, Mrs. Plaid, Kids Sage & Bear
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:13 AM   #11

Sorry to here about a slide problem right off the bat. After 2 years I still cross my fingers every time I move it in or out.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:47 PM   #12

Haven't really used our 2015 28BHBE yet since delivery was almost Nov 2014 BUT what I have noticed was that both of the dinette seats gave way sitting on them on the slide. Now that you mention the twist I will have to keep and eye out for this. I have also read on here that there is problems with Jayco over tightening the screws for the dinette stanchions. Ultimately the screw tips protruding throough the floor of the slide and slice the linoleum flooring when you retracting and extend your slide. .... low and behold I not only found the plastic dinette base cracked but 2 screws protruding through the floor as well. Im waiting to hear from dealer as to when this work will be completed. I'll keep you posted....
Fill The Coolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #13

This has me concerned. I have a 2015 28 BHBE I'll be keeping an eye on these issues myself. I did notice when I retract the slide it raises off the floor about four inches on the side where the tv is. Anyone else seeing this?

2011 Ford F-350 Powerstroke
2015 Jayco Jayflight 28 BHBE Elite
Werty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werty12 View Post
This has me concerned. I have a 2015 28 BHBE I'll be keeping an eye on these issues myself. I did notice when I retract the slide it raises off the floor about four inches on the side where the tv is. Anyone else seeing this?
Sounds like yours is basically doing the same thing as mine but at the other end, I just picked mine up from the dealer last Friday and all they did was run a screw through the bench seat paneling where the factory staple had already ripped through and advised me to not reinstall the screw back into the floor the next time it rips out, they also told me there was nothing they could do about the twist because my slide out isn't square,then they advised me to never sit in the seats while the slide is retracted because of this twist, meanwhile we had to make our first payment. The wife and I have decided to try not to dwell on it and just get on with camping and hope it holds together, I guess when all is said and done we have just learned what to look for when shopping for our next trailer down the road.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:11 PM   #15

[QUOTE=S.Chandler;272748]they advised me to never sit in the seats while the slide is retracted because of this twist,

Check my picture on page #1 and it shows that board placed under the slde-out when it's in. If you wedge a piece of wood under the edge to support it you can sit on it and sleep on it with no problem. This is not Jayco it's all of them. This is why Airstream does NOT have a slide out, this is a very complex setup that drives them all crazy. I was very lucky in that my salesman told me what to do.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:07 AM   #16

I'll have to look at this carefully when we take delivery of our 28BHBE. I can't believe they are saying your slide is not square though. That doesn't sound right and I think I'd be having a fit over that one.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:15 PM   #17

Hey Tunce the traveler, I think I see what you are saying, I have been so focused on the rear of my slide out busting my bench seat that I failed to notice that the front of my slide by the couch is also lifting, I will try putting the board under my bench seat towards the center of the slide to add support, I don't think I will add the 3 or 4 inches that the ends are lifting but a inch or so like you are doing.
Thanks again
Old 02-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #18

I have noticed that when I retract my slide it lifted about 3-4" coming in it then leveled off. If I understand correctly you're saying to put the board in the center so you can still utilized the dinette?
Fill The Coolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #19

Two Year Warranty

We all don't mind customizing some stuff. When it comes to the structure and structural integrity, you paid too mucm to have to rebuild and if you do screw it up you own it. Your dealer if they are reparable should repair/correct the situation, its no skin off Jayco, they build the TT in a day-in-a-half. My back window leaked, ruined/bubbled the wall - the whole back end was replaced under warranty.
DJsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fill The Coolers View Post
I have noticed that when I retract my slide it lifted about 3-4" coming in it then leveled off. If I understand correctly you're saying to put the board in the center so you can still utilized the dinette?
Sorry for the late post.
Yes, I place the board directly in line with the dinette back for support and we use it that way on short stops and weekly during the winter when it's at home and I watch TV out there.