Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #121

I must say the folks at Jayco support have always responded very quickly to my questions and any request I've made for copies of electrical or structural plans. Every time those request have promptly been emailed to me, same day or next.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:28 AM   #122

Jayco has always helped me right away with any questions or help needed.
I had 2 bolts work loose and did have a leak.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:21 AM   #123

Grumpy and Hitch pin I am glad that you had good luck with them. You are more fortunate then a lot of others. If either of have a contact that might help please advise.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #124

When it comes to customer service I use the "E" mail and or phone contact listed on JAYCO's web site, no one particular person. As to warranty the dealer handles it and as I have always said for most, that is the problem, a dealer who doesn't do their job and then they place the blame on JAYCO.

Also as with any product you only hear from the disgrunted few, not from the majority who are very satisifed and that is what I see here. I personally know several hundred Jayco and Starcraft owners and the compaints are few and far between.

This thread is a prime example, for some, of not following recommended maintenance which results in issues. I have always been told (since 1977) to check the a/c bolts and gaskets at least once a year, which I do and I have found some that became loose. That's not JAYCO's fault it is the nature of the beast. The bouncing causes them to get loose.

I will agree that there are times when an employee missed something or failed to complete a task, but again it is on a small percentage of the units built. Nobody or company is perfect.

Off my soapbox.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:01 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
... I checked the four bolts attaching my AC to the top of my 28.5RLS fifth wheel today. Two of the bolts had never been tightened at all (about a half inch from the head of the bolt to the metal) and two were tightened; the tightened ones were at diagonally opposite corners. It appeared that the gasket was compressed properly in all four corners of the AC, judging by the yellow indicator. So, I guess, this means that the gasket is tightened enough to prevent a leak -- although just tightening two bolts seems sloppy...
My post in this thread - # 36 - was just a couple of months after we took delivery of my new trailer. I appreciate the thread as it warned me to check the AC bolts that were never tightened at the factory.

I'm disgruntled when the new trailer I bought has numerous assembly issues. I could list many more failures, but I won't as I don't want to "bash" Jayco for poor quality control. I also think that those who have reason to be disgruntled should not be "bashed".
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #126

On the last four new trailers I've owned, the first thing I did when I got them home was to check the ac bolts, and they all had lose bolts, one of the trailers was not a jayco. I don't know about anyone else but the book that came with my ac said to check the bolts.

Jayco can't be blamed for the lose bolts, the gasket is made of foam, it will compress from the weight of the ac over time and should be checked every now and then.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #127

The gasket does compress over time, and the bolts need to be tightened as a maintenance issue.

Two of my bolts, diagonally opposed, were tightened at the factory. Two of the bolts (on the other diagonal) had never been tightened - the bolts were way out, at least a half inch of clearance. That failure certainly happened at the factory, and I can certainly blame the employee who did not tighten them and Jayco's quality control for not detecting the issue.

The AC bolts are a tiny issue, no big deal, if caught before a leak. But my opinion is that it shows a problem of quality control. As customers, we should expect better and certainly manufacturers are capable of delivering better.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Jayco has always helped me right away with any questions or help needed.
I had 2 bolts work loose and did have a leak.
How did the bolt back out that far with the ceiling shroud on?
Old 10-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #129

Grumpy, like you I am off my soapbox but if you look you will see that I am not alone.
We are not going to let this quality issue destroy our enjoyment of camping and our friendship with other campers.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:14 AM   #130

Amen RVHiker!!
Old 10-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #131
Site Team

For those that may be confused about our bashing rules, we have no problem with you posting on the issues you have had with your unit and asking how to solve them. That`s what the "Jayco problems and issues" forum is for. We want members to help members. The problem arises when a member submits multiple posts "bashing" the brand or product because they are unhappy with it, not because they have come here for help. When this occurs the threads can become heated and argumentative in nature between the poster and the member base.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #132

Sorry for causing a ruckas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNear View Post
Makes me wish I'd of noticed it long ago because this would be Jayco's dime not mine going into the repair. I may still send pics to them anyway's but I am assuming the response will be "out of warranty" or "there's no way to tell if this is our issue or something you did."

Oh well, it's an 11 year old trailer and has more than served my family well regardless. A little bit of work and we'll continue to have fun with it next spring.
It wasn't my intention to cause a big to do. I realize that Crabman, who has been more than informative to me on other posts, had to put us in place for what may have appeared to be Jayco customer service bashing. It was not my intent at all to bash Jayco in any way. I meant that there is an "understandable" assumption on my part that Jayco would tell an owner of an 11 year trailer that they can not support the replacement cost because there is no way to prove, at this late juncture, that the twisted gasket was caused by the factory or by the owner. For all they know, I could certainly have removed and reinstalled the unit a hundred times since I've owned it and I entirely agree that they should not incur the repair cost 11 years in.
BNear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #133
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNear View Post
It wasn't my intention to cause a big to do. I realize that Crabman, who has been more than informative to me on other posts, had to put us in place for what may have appeared to be Jayco customer service bashing. It was not my intent at all to bash Jayco in any way. I meant that there is an "understandable" assumption on my part that Jayco would tell an owner of an 11 year trailer that they can not support the replacement cost because there is no way to prove, at this late juncture, that the twisted gasket was caused by the factory or by the owner. For all they know, I could certainly have removed and reinstalled the unit a hundred times since I've owned it and I entirely agree that they should not incur the repair cost 11 years in.
Your post was not an issue, and was not what we consider bashing. All is good.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #134

Just a reminder to everyone to check these bolts every year, and especially if you get a new trailer! I just got a new-to-me trailer and checked them - all 4 bolts were not tight. I needed to snug all of them up considerably, but made sure I didn't go too much. I just went by feel and using a 1/4in drive with a 8mm socket I gave them all a few turns until there was a bit of resistance. I looked closely up into the duct area and there were thankfully no signs of water.

Has anyone used lock tite on these bolts?
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #135

I don't think the screws backing out is the issue. The sealing gasket when new is approx 1 inch thick. Over time is compresses which is why we all have to snug up the screws periodically. When it gets fully compressed is when we have to replace it.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #136
Site Team

The screw that loosens is screwed into a thin tab of metal on the upper unit. I don't see any way to use lock tite.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #137

Lucky that I happened to read this. No where in my 2011 owners manual is retorquing AC bolts mentioned. Not in the Maintenance Checklist, suppose I couldve missed it. But looks like I need to take the AC apart to check. Lock washers and jam nuts will be added. From what I read once loose bolts are tightened they stay tight, which indicates factory is suspect.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #138

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I don't think the screws backing out is the issue. The sealing gasket when new is approx 1 inch thick. Over time is compresses which is why we all have to snug up the screws periodically. When it gets fully compressed is when we have to replace it.
I would say you are completely right, the gasket will compress more after it has been installed for a little while.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #139

Finally found info in my Owners Manual that says to inspect AC bolts at least annually. P 83 middle of 2nd paragraph. Will add it to Annual Maintenance section, p. 97.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
How did the bolt back out that far with the ceiling shroud on?
It was touching the ceiling shroud and couldn't go any farther. My TT is a 2010 so it took 4 years to do that I guess. I bought used and was green about these things a year and a half ago.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote