Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #101

Send a message via ICQ to BluJay
Nuts & Bolts & Valves (oh, my!)

Just had my 17Z at the dealer today (about two weeks after taking a shower under my A/C ). The tech used loc tite.

BTW & a bit off-topic: Also had a defective "hot water" valve replaced on the WH. The Jayco fiver in just before me had FOUR replaced. Maintenance manager had a small bag of bad ones setting on his desk. According to the tech, its a known issue (replaced under warranty). Tank not filling or no hot water output? Heads up.

BluJay
Fort Wayne, Indiana
TV = 2013 Toyota Highlander
BluJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #102

Checked my A/C bolts today in response to this thread. All were tight, and have not had any leaks. Checked with previous owner, who bought it new in 2004, and he never tightened the bolts. We have owned for over a year, and still no loose bolts. Took one out just to look, and it has small serrations under head of bolt which seem to keep it tight. Apparently the gasket has not changed much in 9 years, since no leaks. Don't know why all the problems with newer models, but apparently something has changed in materials or the assembly process since 2004. Might be worthwhile to query Jayco on the issue, just for giggles.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #103

This gasket is originally approximately 1 inch thick and it settles over time under the weight of the a/c. You never want to tighten the bolts too tight as you don't want to compress this gasket excessively. Once it is almost flat, you have to replace it.

When my Designer was about a year old I noticed a leak coming from the rear a/c. On closer inspection it was loose bolts due to settling since new. I tightened them to just a hair more than finger tight. Leak stopped and no problems since on either a/c.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #104

Took my 2004 Feather 23B in for winterizing and this had probably never been checked by the previous owner, and it was the first time I had it in for anything, and it definitely was an issue. Dealer even noticed that it had caused a slight sag in the roof around the A/C unit as well. Had everything re-sealed (time for that anyways) and dealer advised to store at an angle to avoid pooling around that area. He also said he was going to advise Jayco as he's seen multiple units of my make and year with that same issue. Doubtful anything will get done by Jayco this late in the game, but still good to know.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #105

found this link about a/c seals and general maint to help fix any a/c leak issues (may be a repost, not sure).

http://bryantrv.com/roofacleaks.html
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #106

Thanks for the link exjay. Good to know and I'll keep an eye out on mine. With one year left on my warranty I won't want any surprises after it expires.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #107

Post Great Info

Thanks so much for the great information will have to check in the spring when i get it out.Let you know what i find.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #108

Checked my AC hold down bolts yesterday and had 1 loose, the other 3 were tight. Also, while I had the interior cover off, I checked to make sure the duct work was sealed. All good. No cool air going into the roof area. I would have never known to do this if it wasn't for this Forum. Great job everyone!
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #109
Moderator Emeritus

I checked mine yesterday. All were tight.
As I recall, the PO has that gasket replaced last year.
Piece of mind for now.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #110

I dont know about the bolts but the inside cover on our new 33 RLDS has a loose/stripped screw. Kept trying to figure out why I got a whistle noise with the AC and realized the cover sagged at the loose screw causing air leakage and the whistling noise.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #111

Thumbs up Loose AC mount bolts

I have a 2006 Jayfeather EXP 19H and after reading the posts about loose mounting bolts went and popped off the cover and discovered all 4 bolts were loose. The two front ones were at least 4-5 turns loose before they even snugged down and the back were 2-3 turns. I didnt have any leaks, no damage and the gasket still had about an inch of height but will make that a regular check up each year.
campitout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #112

Found this thread and checked mine yesterday and three out of 4 bolts were loose so will be checking this every spring .
Old 08-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #113

After reading about this A/C problem, I know what I'm doing after work one day this week. Got a couple big trips planned these next couple weeks.
ssharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #114

I last checked mine in 2011 and this post was a good reminder to recheck as I have ran my a/c a lot the past 2 months. It will be on my to do list this week.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #115

I just pulled the A/C from my 2003 Jayco Kiwi 23b. I bought the trailer new in 2003 and until this spring, we've never had an issue. This spring we noticed leakage, bad enough to cause a complete replacement of all the plywood on the roof. Turns out that the problem wasn't the bolt tightness, it was the fact that the gasket was never installed correctly in the first place. it was curled up on one side (almost twisted) but because it was snug enough, it never leaked until this past winter and spring and only because we got a lot of snow and ice unlike all the previous years since the trailer was new. Makes me wish I'd of noticed it long ago because this would be Jayco's dime not mine going into the repair. I may still send pics to them anyway's but I am assuming the response will be "out of warranty" or "there's no way to tell if this is our issue or something you did."

Oh well, it's an 11 year old trailer and has more than served my family well regardless. A little bit of work and we'll continue to have fun with it next spring.
BNear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #116

You can forget any help from Jayco. Plead you case with the dealer. Good Luck
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #117
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjahbob View Post
You can forget any help from Jayco. Plead you case with the dealer. Good Luck

From the Community rules:
You may post about problems you have with Jayco product in an effort to learn from others with similar issues however the use of the forums to repeatedly attack or bash Jayco, Jayco products, or Jayco owners is strictly forbidden.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #118

No one bashed Jayco, Jayco products or Jayco owners. I don't see how a factual statement about the customer service is against the rules. Here is were are we all learn the tricks about our RVs, how to do, what to do and about customer service and maybe just maybe embarrass Jayco to do what is right for us Jayco owners.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjahbob View Post
No one bashed Jayco, Jayco products or Jayco owners. I don't see how a factual statement about the customer service is against the rules. Here is were are we all learn the tricks about our RVs, how to do, what to do and about customer service and maybe just maybe embarrass Jayco to do what is right for us Jayco owners.
Your opinion, not necessarily fact. I have always had great a response from customer service and warranty department at JAYCO over the last 13 years.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Your opinion, not necessarily fact. I have always had great a response from customer service and warranty department at JAYCO over the last 13 years.
Same here with me, I have always had a great response from customer service and warranty department as well.