Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #1

Attwood furnace problem

I have an Attwood model # 8940-IIIDCLP. The fan comes on and the pilot tries igniting but then shuts off with no burner lighting. It attempts lighting many times with no results.
Capt. Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #2

Is there a steady gas flow to the fridge and stove? Is there plenty of propane in the tank?
We have the same furnace in our Seneca but I don't have a service manual right in front of me. Most Atwood service and parts manuals are available for free with a Google search.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #3

Capt. Rich it's obviously that time of the season. Check out this other discussion going on right now for an Atwood furnace failure;
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ire-40653.html
Old 10-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #4

Hello abarkl, We have the same rig, 2008 Jayco 35GS. I checked the stove and all burners came right on and the hot water heater is working fine. Lots of propane. I have the manual but it appears they don't want any owner troubleshooting.
On another note. We got suckered into buying a brand new Thor 33SW. We looked at used Jaycos but the ones we found were pretty beat up. Then the salesman said "But I have a new rv around the corner." I wanted a Jayco but the new Thor showed quite well and I thought we would have alot of dealer support. Big mistake. I could write a book on all the issues I repaired. We found this Seneca with 30,000 miles. We had put 28,000 miles on our Thor. We traded even and I never looked back. The Seneca is a way better build and I love the Duramax compared to the Ford PowerStroke.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #5

We too love our Seneca 35GS.
Here is the Atwood installation manual with some initial test instructions, wiring diagrams, and some troubleshooting for your furnace;
Excalibur 8900 III Series Heating System - Atwood Mobile
Atwood also lists their contact phone numbers on the first page of the manual. If all else fails it might be worth giving them a call.

There's also lots of information from other owners including troubleshooting steps with a Google search for the model 8940-IIIDCLP.
Let us know what you find is the problem.

We have had the same furnace in the last 3 motorhomes over many years but never a problem. Of course we live in Arizona so we don't use it that much either.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #6

I did some troubleshooting of my own and when I put my hand over the exhaust the furnace burner lights everytime. It builds up heat really quick so I have to remove my hand and twice it stayed lit for about five minutes. It seems to blow itself out. Is there someway to limit the airflow?
Old 10-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #7

Maybe there's a web or nest in the exhaust or intake causing airflow issues?

We have installed insect screens on our furnace exhaust, fridge vents, and water heater vent.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #8

check the thermo couple.if its been used a lot it might be deteriorated.they literally fall to pieces.Or the safety that regulates the overheat device may be shutting down the pilot light in which case you should just replace the pilot and the thermocouple and be done with it.I have replaced a thermo couple myself.its not hard if you know what a wrench is for.but it must be adjusted to sit in the pilot flame correctly.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #9

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am starting back to Florida tomorrow. I have been in Wisconsin for the past 2 weeks and should not need heat on the way down. I will start serious troubleshooting in a week or so and report back hopefully with a fix.