Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2017, 07:36 PM   #1

Bearing/Brake Servicing

So, I'm biting the bullet and tearing into the hubs. The point of the post is getting multiple wheels off the ground for maintennance. This may help out if you're doing this or doing the wet bolt/never-lube mod or a brake/bearing job.
I've posted the description when I did my wet bolts but now have pics.

I started by cutting up a bunch of "pink" 2x4's into 18" pieces. Roughly 115' (I think). We have a 5th but I think this will work for a bumper-pull but you will need more cribbing to support the front too.

Pic 1 shows 2 "towers" of the cribbing on the ODS. I raised the front 2-3 inches,
to keep the unit a bit more level. The Left tower is topped with a 3T jack stand to ultimately hold the weight, look close and you can see a 2x4 between the stand saddle and frame (to spread the contact point), right side is for the 20T bottle jack to lift this side, it will have a 2x4 above also for the same reason. The jack side needed 9 layers of cribbing and the stand needed 10 (count 'em).
Click image for larger version

Name:	9BCF6207-5A0E-400D-AB5B-1A0817BCB639.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	33239

Pic 2 is looking from the DS and the back axle is free. I raised both sides about 3". The tires were not quite off the ground. I used a floor jack to raise one side of the axle after loosening the lugs and then removed the tire/wheel, drop the jack carefully and the hub is hanging free, repeat on the other side. I'm doing one axle at a time but both could be done at the same time (like for the wet bolt job.

Name:	3473F191-136E-43A0-A683-23D6E8278773.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	33240

Pic 3 shows one of the hubs. I use the ez-lube and worried about grease contamination of the brakes, plus the unit is 3-ish years old and it's time to look at the bearings. So far (back axle) the brakes and bearings look good (nothing to replace except the seals), hope the front axle is the same. I was curious about the ez-lube. What I see is a mix of new (red) grease and old (black) in the front bearing. I'm pleased.

Name:	37073788-0DE3-4E5C-A3D0-263C2C7CAD32.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	33241

The bottom of the stand cribbing has 3 2x4's to add support in the soft WET ground. You folks along the Gulf Coast will relate.

The bearings are from our favorite import country but I'm pleased to note the Dexter backing plates have a "Made in USA" sticker.

Hope all this makes sense. My last comment is if you undertake this lift, work carefully and slowly, these things are heavy.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #2

Looks very familiar. I used 6x6 cribbing stacked similar, but only because I had a ton of 6x6's.

As you said, key is to go slow.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Looks very familiar. I used 6x6 cribbing stacked similar, but only because I had a ton of 6x6's.

As you said, key is to go slow.
It should look familiar, I picked this route after seeing your pics and asking you a couple of questions
It took me quite a while to get the 5th in the air the first time. I spent about an hour this go round which included unloading everything from the truck. My "shop" is the storage lot and with the rain lately the ground is a bit soft. Notice I put an extra 2x4 on the ground to help support the stand tower. Seems very stable and makes working on the suspension or brakes very convenient.

I only raised the 5th 3-4" which is plenty for the axles to hang free with the wheels off. Thanks for that tip too.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 07-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #4

Thumbs up

It's been slow going on my project. Just too dang hot/humid. But, just finished repacking the bearings for the two drums I have off. I'd bought a bearing packing tool from Amazon and thought I'd post about it.

Name:	A2EEB538-A5B1-4826-97DB-AB05EC980E75.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	33290

Gotta say it works pretty well. I've read mixed reviews about these things so I hadda try it myself. some reviewers say they rock the plunger to get the grease to go but I just pushed down. Could watch the grease ooze up between the rollers. Pretty cool little tool. A little product placement too.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 07-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #5

RedHorse1, I've been thinking about lowering my springs to the bottom hole on the spring perch. Would you use this same jacking method of jacking one axle at a time or, do you believe it would be possible to do one side at a time. And, do you have your FW attached to the TV for a "warm and fuzzy feeling" or are you relying on the front levelers/landing gear to support the front ?
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #6

Hey triple,
I tried doing one side at a time when I did my wet bolt install and wound up doing an axle at a time. It seems that trying to drop just one side put things in a bit of a bind. I am not hitched, the LG is supporting the front and it seems stable.
I have a single 20T bottle jack that I lift with and 2 floor jacks to raise/lower each end of the axle. Could be done with a single jack I suppose but 2 seems much easier. I also think using the bottle jack on the axle would be more difficult/dangerous as I wound up wiggling the axles around a bit during reassembly.

The biggest deal for me was finally getting enough cribbing. Each crib is either 18" or 16" (don't remember exactly) and the jack stand towers are 10 layers high so all totaled I have around 80 pieces.

As I said earlier, work slowly and carefully. These things are heavy.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 07-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #7

A follow up on the project. Finally finished it this morning and I found the bearings/races (made by our favorite foreign manufacturer) were all in very good condition, the brake shoes were all grease free and in good shape too. The seals had been doing their job! A good cleaning, fresh grease and new seals were added. With the wheels off I shot some grease to the wet bolts.
We're traveling from Houston to Rushmore, Yellowstone, Tetons, Colorado Springs and back this fall and after 3-ish years and almost 16k miles I figured it was time.
The towers (pics above) worked very well and now that I have enough cribbing and have used this technique a couple of times getting the 5th off the ground is pretty smooth (thanks BigJohn!).

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 07-25-2017, 10:46 PM   #8

You're welcome RedHorse. Wish I would've found everything good on mine. Glad everything worked and my hats off to you for doing all that in a storage lot. Hoping in November I'll find no issues and put some timkens on mine. Next time you do it it'll be like a NASCAR tire change.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:41 AM   #9
Site Team

When I did my last rig, I was able to jack it on a concrete slab. It really made it a cleaner and easier project also. I was super cautious and left my tv attached to the fifth wheel the whole time. Why I'm over cautious is another story!

Great looking job. BTW, what did that bearing greaser cost you? Sounds like a good investment for someone who was doing their own bearing work.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
When I did my last rig, I was able to jack it on a concrete slab. It really made it a cleaner and easier project also. I was super cautious and left my tv attached to the fifth wheel the whole time. Why I'm over cautious is another story!

Great looking job. BTW, what did that bearing greaser cost you? Sounds like a good investment for someone who was doing their own bearing work.
Thanks Norty. The greaser was $20 IIRC, found it on Amazon. Reviews I read were split and I wasn't expecting it to work as well as it did.
Concrete would have been nice but not really an option for me. Street in front of the house has too much crown and while I could get the X23B in the driveway I wouldn't even attempt trying to get this beast in there.
After the rebuild I am in the "pro ez-lube camp", seals did their job, grease in the hub was moving outward as it should. I've used it over the 3 rears we've owned the 5th but always carefully. I've worried about using it but did it anyway (call me lazy) and after seeing the "innerds" will continue using it.
I've got 2 sets of new bearings, races (Timken) and seals in my spares box for peace of mind.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 07-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to BillV Send a message via MSN to BillV
I have a 2015 JayFlight 24FBS. What size wheel bearings should I buy?
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
I have a 2015 JayFlight 24FBS. What size wheel bearings should I buy?
You will have to crawl under your trailer and look on the axle for make and model number. Once you have that go to Lippert or Dexters web site and search for that axle which in turn will list all parts for that unit. You can also cross reference those numbers to better parts like Timken bearings which are Made in USA and only cost a bit more.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to BillV Send a message via MSN to BillV
Smile Wheel Bearings

Thanks much.

Bill V.
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote