Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #1

Black tank maintenance

Not sure if this is the right spot, if not please move.

I am parked on a seasonal site, so i never tow it. i was wondering if there is a way to clean the black tank aside from the wand or onboard flush. Kinda of a solution i can put in and leave for a couple hours and drain to clean my sensors and whatever else may be stuck around in it. Thanks in advance.

2015 Jay Flight 32TSBH
Fordguy5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A lot of people use a cup of fabric softner in 5 gals of water.

D.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #3

I use fabric softener every time I dump the tanks. Really helps.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #4

It won't be an easy fix since you don't move the trailer. When others say they add this and that and have no problems they do this after dumping then driving home with water sloushing all over.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
It won't be an easy fix since you don't move the trailer. When others say they add this and that and have no problems they do this after dumping then driving home with water sloushing all over.
that was my thought. it will be tough since i dont move it. other than the sensors always reading full, i dont think theres anything major wrong in it. this is only my second season with it. but i did buy it used and didnt know if people on permanant sites did any type of yearly cleaning aside from the wands and built in washer.

2015 Jay Flight 32TSBH
Fordguy5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #6

Although I've never tried them, I have heard good things about the enzyme based tank cleaners. Our new Bungalow came with 2 Dometic 310 series toilets and each came with their version of an enzyme based cleaner. Won't know how they work until the end of the season when I try them

Using the tank flush seems to work well. I don't go by the gauge, I just wait until the toilets burp, then I know it is time to dump the black tank.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
All I can say is try a cup of fabric softener with Happy Camper RV Holding Tank Treatment. Use tank until full, then empty tank and flush it. Camped at the same site for weeks at a time. No problems. YMMV, Good Luck!
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:04 PM   #8

Try the Walex Commando tank cleaner. I tried everything to get my sensors clean before I stumbled on these. The guy at CW swore by them so I figured I'd give them a try as a last resort - they worked like a charm
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #9

Water.
Once mine hits 2/3 on the sensors, I top it off with water and drain it.
Only time the sensors lie, is when I don't follow this routine.
I'm a firm believer in hydraulic pressure.
I normally set up and stay parked for a month or more at a time.
Every flush is more water than anything else.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:49 AM   #10

I have tried virtually every cleaner, enzyme, method I have either heard about or read about on this and other forums. My black tank sensors read full all the time and I just don't care anymore. I know when the tank if getting full since I have used it full time for over 7 years now. With me by myself it will be close to full in 2 1/2 weeks.

I'm tired of chasing this issue. Let them read full, when it burps it is full and when it just about burps I have 1-2 days left until it IS full.

Works for me.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #11

Question Toilet Burp

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
I just wait until the toilets burp, then I know it is time to dump the black tank.
Maybe a dumb question, but what does this mean? Thanks in advance.
spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spook View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but what does this mean? Thanks in advance.
Normally, when flushing the toilet, the valve opens and the waste goes straight down into the tank. As the waste moves down, air moves up out of the tank.
When the tank is almost full and there is no room for air to exit (the air that was occupying the space that the waste will now take up) when the toilet is flushed, there is a bubble that pops. It almost sounds like a burp.

That's when I know it is time to empty the tank.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:41 AM   #13

Listen to a youtube video from Pete's RV service Tips. He talks about putting a gallon bucket full of hot water down the black tank and let the steam clean the sensors. My wife and I tried it and it worked for us.
WalPau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
Normally...
Thanks Michael -appreciate the added explanation. The way we tend to camp I'm fairly certain we've never had our tank above 3/4 full. So I've never heard this firsthand. It's good to know.
spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #15
Site Team

We have been doing the seasonal thing for 3 years now. We still keep the black-tank valve closed all the time, as it ensures a cleaner tank when I open the dump. I keep a pee-trap bend in the hose at the CG connection which keeps the smell from the CG tanks out any critters from heading up into the tank (yes they do).

If you do not keep your tank closed in a matter of time you will end up with a POOP-MOUNTAIN directly below the toilet opening. The seasonal's that have been here for years pour a few gallons of water down the toilet after they do their business, or they use the CG toilets (not me). They keep their valves open 24/7 and no pee trap.

Every Friday morning (Alarm in my iPhone at 10:33 AM) I go out, hook up a dedicated hose (one of those that curl into nothing without water pressure) to the tank cleaning connector, turn it on, walk over and open the Black-tank dump valve and leave the hose flushing the tank out for 5 minutes, while I sit outside by the creek and enjoy my coffee (alarm will tell me to get back to work). I close the valve for 3 minutes and open it, if it is clear water coming out, I shut the water off, disconnect the hose, shut the black water tank dump valve.

I then go inside hold the flush peddle down until the bowl is just about full, drop in a packet of OXY-Kem (Walmart), wait till the plastic package starts leaking the crystals into the bowl, and FLUSH. The OXY-Kem pretty much eliminates the smell from the tank. We also use Aqua-Kem DRI which may be just a little better but a little harder to find.

If you take a flash light and look down the toilet, the tank is black and no crap anywhere.

Every Friday works out for us, as the sensors have not worked for about 4 years now. I can tell the level by the sound of the water going into the tank after a flush... the sound changes as the tank fills. I have never heard the "BURP" but understand the reason why it happens. In 10 - 15 minutes the cleaning process is completed.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
We have been doing the seasonal thing for 3 years now. We still keep the black-tank valve closed all the time, as it ensures a cleaner tank when I open the dump. I keep a pee-trap bend in the hose at the CG connection which keeps the smell from the CG tanks out any critters from heading up into the tank (yes they do).

If you do not keep your tank closed in a matter of time you will end up with a POOP-MOUNTAIN directly below the toilet opening. The seasonal's that have been here for years pour a few gallons of water down the toilet after they do their business, or they use the CG toilets (not me). They keep their valves open 24/7 and no pee trap.

Every Friday morning (Alarm in my iPhone at 10:33 AM) I go out, hook up a dedicated hose (one of those that curl into nothing without water pressure) to the tank cleaning connector, turn it on, walk over and open the Black-tank dump valve and leave the hose flushing the tank out for 5 minutes, while I sit outside by the creek and enjoy my coffee (alarm will tell me to get back to work). I close the valve for 3 minutes and open it, if it is clear water coming out, I shut the water off, disconnect the hose, shut the black water tank dump valve.

I then go inside hold the flush peddle down until the bowl is just about full, drop in a packet of OXY-Kem (Walmart), wait till the plastic package starts leaking the crystals into the bowl, and FLUSH. The OXY-Kem pretty much eliminates the smell from the tank. We also use Aqua-Kem DRI which may be just a little better but a little harder to find.

If you take a flash light and look down the toilet, the tank is black and no crap anywhere.

Every Friday works out for us, as the sensors have not worked for about 4 years now. I can tell the level by the sound of the water going into the tank after a flush... the sound changes as the tank fills. I have never heard the "BURP" but understand the reason why it happens. In 10 - 15 minutes the cleaning process is completed.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
I would be careful closing the blank tank dump valve with the flusher pressurized. According to my manual this can cause an increase in the tank pressure which could lead to the lines rupturing.

Will the blank tank vent take care of the extra pressure? Perhaps, but I wouldn't want to risk it. You can affect the same test by running toilet or dumping water into the tank.

2017 Siesmic Wave 355w towed by 2015 Ram 3500
apgambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by apgambino View Post
I would be careful closing the blank tank dump valve with the flusher pressurized. According to my manual this can cause an increase in the tank pressure which could lead to the lines rupturing.

Will the blank tank vent take care of the extra pressure? Perhaps, but I wouldn't want to risk it. You can affect the same test by running toilet or dumping water into the tank.

2017 Siesmic Wave 355w towed by 2015 Ram 3500
There is a 2" vent on the black tank that is always open and not enough water pressure to do any pressure damage from a 3/4" water line restricted to 40PSI. The 3 Minutes does not even fill the tank 1/2 way.

The reason for the warning is because some owners (not here) closed the valve on the black water tank and forgot to turn off the water which caused the gasket under the toilet to leak into the TT when the tank overfilled.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote