Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #1

Black waste tank

Help. I have a 185 jayco and I am having some issues. At the dump station I am having problems with the toilet paper "pyramiding" up just below the toilet. We are adding plenty of water whenever we flush. It takes me a couple ours and sometimes sticking a stick down the toilet to push the clump to the hose.

Do any of you guys have a attachment that works or helps clean this out that will make this task easier.

Thanks in advance.
Rgriffis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #2

Before a trip, start with more fresh water in the tank. I typically start with 5 - 6 gallons. Then continue to use plenty of water with each flush. Make sure you are using appropriate TP too.

There wands available to stick down the toilet to help clean the tank. I have a quickie flush installed on mine. But neither of those will really break up the TP mound, only more water will take care of that.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Are you dumping with the tank almost full? Make sure it is to get a good flow moving down the pipe.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #4

That is usually a symptom of insufficient water to start with and or dumping the tank too soon. Like another poster said you must have several gallons of water in the tank and prevent the tank from drying out in between uses. For really stubborn cases you may need to clean the tank by putting two - four giant bags of ice down the toilet with a gallon of bleach. Drive around for 1/2 hour fill the tank and dump. When I say fill the tank look through the toilet and when the water is at the bottom of the toilet base then it is full. Use your black flush system every time you dump. Keep flushing until the water comes out clear.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #5

I always put 5 gallons of clean water and a dose of chemicals in my tank when I return from a trip. That way there is treated water in the tank the whole time it's waiting for another campout and it's ready to go.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #6

Yeah. My normal routine is when i get ready to dump to fill it up completely then dump. I may try a wand next trip. I think part of the problem is the small tank.
Rgriffis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #7

And leave it closed while camping and until it fills and you are ready to dump.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
I always put 5 gallons of clean water and a dose of chemicals in my tank when I return from a trip. That way there is treated water in the tank the whole time it's waiting for another campout and it's ready to go.
x2 this exactly what I do.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #9

As mentioned, plenty of water in the tank before you use it and then add some if needed before dumping. Our current trailer has a tank flush/rinse hose and I use it several times a month. (we stay in a park all winter and another all summer)
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #10

It's all been said. Bottom line is you need to flush with a full tank and then refill and flush until it runs clear after each camp outing. A clear plastic flush extension helps with monitoring the fluid to make sure all is running clear. I continue to refill the tank and empty until I reach that state. It's easy if you have a black water tank flush accessory, otherwise my routine was to use a hose and fill the tank from the top of the toilet. Usually only one extra top off.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #11

I would try the following as you need to hit the reset button.

Before your next trip dump at least 1 if not 2, 5 gallon pails of hot tap water straight through the toilet with the valve open just before you are going to hit the road. Add a 2x strong dose of chem and drive. The sloshing will help loosen the buildup. Once you get to the site level off and dump or go right to the dump station. Flush it good with a few more direct dumps of full pails straight down the toilet then put 3-5 gallons of fresh water and chem in for your stay.

If you don't fill it or come close to 2/3's then top off before you pull the valve to get a good flow out upon departure.

I always pre-treat for the next trip before departing so my tanks have water and enzymes in there to slosh around and coat the tank while driving.

I add 1/3 right out the gate to a short stay, 2-3 night so I don't have to flush so much upon departure. The longer weeks I usually just leave the pre-treat amounts in.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #12

What kind of tp is being used? We use charmin at home. It stays together and didn't break up in the jar if water test. Our local Jay C store had a ten packs for ten dollars sale on Angel Soft TP. After a bit of reading it sounded like it would work in the tank. Even though I despise that stuff, it breaks down enough to not cause problems in the tank, so I suffer through it. I also add a few gallons of water and some calgon after dumping so we're good to go for the next trip.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #13

We pretty much folow all this advice listed already but I do one additional thing. While camping, we use a plastice catch pan in the kitchen sink to hold all the soapy dishwater. We then dump that down the toilet, soap and all. The soap helps lubrication on the sides and more water always helps. Five gallons of water with calgon and chems after flushing gets you ready for the next outing.
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #14

Take it from a new camper, water is the answer. Poop hits a dry tank, and sticks, thus starting a pile. Dry paper sticks to sensors, thus false readings on control panel. I started putting water in prior to use, using a half bowl prior to job, and water, water when I flush, and guess what? No piles, sensors that work, and I now have time for a drink of scotch!
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #15

I have a new Greyhawk 29mv and used it for the first time this weekend..
When I dumped my dark tank I expected some sort of backwash system or a nozzle in the tank to clean the tank.. Am I missing something?
Bankercajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankercajun View Post
When I dumped my dark tank I expected some sort of backwash system or a nozzle in the tank to clean the tank.. Am I missing something?
Some units have a tank flush system and some do not. I would think a Greyhawk would have one. If you do not have one, there is a clear adaptor you can purchase, it has a 45 degree bend on it and a hose fitting. I have been meaning to get one of these myself.

Before you dump make sure to fill the back tank as full of water as reasonable. I like no less than 3/4 full. It helps to flow the crude out. Once dumped, add a few gallons of water back into the tank, the amount really depends on the size of your tank, but 3-5 gallons is typical.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankercajun View Post
Our Greyhawk 31FK came with the black tank flush. Look at the city water inlet connection on the water control center. My black tank flush hose connector is directly beneath that one.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote