Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #1

Brakes stuck?

After camping for 2 days in our brand new x17z hybrid, we noted an issue with our trailer brakes.

Whenever we slowly put on our brakes, the trailer brakes seemed to lock up for an instant causing a good lurch to our tow vehicle. Without being able to call our dealer service dept which is closed on Sundays, we decided to try to drive home (40s away). The problem seemed to disappear when we got going on the highway and as we got into the residential streets near home. Scary nonetheless. My DBC reads 2 and 55 if that means anything. When I press my brake pedal the readout shows 5 or 10.

It was raining over the weekend. Would this be the cause?

Thanks for any help with this.

Bon
OttawaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #2

The brakes on our trailer are always grabby the first couple of times I stop of slow down so I back off the adjuster in the cab. After towing for a short distance I move the adjustment back up and all is well. Our last two trailers did this also.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #3

You didn't mention the type of brake controller. Is it a time delay or proportional? If it is a TD and sync switch is set too high, you could get an initial aggressive brake from trailer.

1983 Jayco 1006 Pop-up (antique status :hihi:)
2006 Jayco Jay Feather EXP Baja25k
2001 Sundowner 40' Horse Trailer
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew DRW 4x4
vaskohop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #4

Thought I had a severely "grabby" brake issue on our WhiteHawk the last two trips. Went to St. Augustine Beach this past weekend and as I hooked up I checked the brake controller (Tekonsha P-3) just to make sure it was set in the proper mode. Discovered I never changed the mode from hydraulic (our fifth wheel had electro-hydraulic discs) to electric. Wow, what a difference that made with brake operation.................:stupid:
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote