Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #11
Valve stems do go bad. They should be replaced with every other tire change. Having extra cores and caps with rubber seals is a good idea.

TPMS systems have their place. My father just purchased one because last summer he had a tire go flat on the trailer while towing and since he was on a mountain road and hauling mostly empty, he had no idea one of the rear tires had gone flat and shredded. That is until a highway patrolman pulled him over because his rim was throwing off sparks.

I used to do some pretty extreme off roading when I lived in Northern Nevada and have built a couple of "rock crawling" rigs. When you are thirty miles into the back country, having a leaking valve stem is not a good thing. Especially with the dust, dirt, mud, water, etc, we would go through. To help prevent this, good metal valve stem caps with a rubber seal are a must. Also, we would coat the cores in chapstick before putting them into the valve stem (working the chapstick thoroughly throughout the core). This kept the core in a well lubricated state which helped the seal.

2015 White Hawk 25BHS Glacier Package
2004 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.7 Hemi, 5Spd Manual
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #12
Site Team
I like to use the shortest valve stem I can get a chuck on. Less chance of something shearing one off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote