Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #1

Electric Jack problem

New Jayco owner here. I joined the forum a few weeks ago and it is already paying off. When I got home I noticed that my electric jack would only work while attached to my truck. I did a google search on the problem and found the solution on a thread from 2014. Had to replace a 30 amp fuse going toward the battery. I sure didn't want to take it in for warranty work if it was going to be an easy solution. Love this forum
Junmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #2

Lots of good info here... also a lot less bickering than on the ... other... site
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #3

Congratulations on your new Jayco and Welcome to the forum.
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #4

The most common cause of blowing the fuse is over extending the electric jack. One of the first things I did was to make a couple of sturdy blocks to put under the jack foot. That way I never over extend the jack. One is three 2 x 10 nailed together and the other is three 2 x 6. It also makes setup and take down faster because I don't have to wait for the jack to extend so far.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:15 PM   #5

I recently bought a used 2014 Jayco Jayflight Swift 267 BHS this summer and when we bought the unit were told from the private seller the jack was in working order but when we came to pick up the unit it was not. The light switch works but the switch for the motor does nothing, whether it's battery powered or connected to my pickup.

I'm wondering if maybe I have a bad switch? The trailer was hardly used, only taken out twice prior to us purchasing but I read this is a common issue with electric jacks failing. Any ideas?
npdeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by npdeleon View Post
I recently bought a used 2014 Jayco Jayflight Swift 267 BHS this summer and when we bought the unit were told from the private seller the jack was in working order but when we came to pick up the unit it was not. The light switch works but the switch for the motor does nothing, whether it's battery powered or connected to my pickup.

I'm wondering if maybe I have a bad switch? The trailer was hardly used, only taken out twice prior to us purchasing but I read this is a common issue with electric jacks failing. Any ideas?
Did you check it again later? there is also a self resetting breaker in some.. if the light comes on you know it is not the fuse but could be on the breaker side or it could be a bad switch easy to test with a vom.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by npdeleon View Post

My OEM jack did some weird stuff like that before I replaced it. I never bothered trying to really trouble shoot it since it's days were numbered anyway (sorry, not much help to you). The jack they put on from the factory is not very high quality (putting it VERY nicely), so I would consider replacing it anyway. Mine got water in it a couple times and it just went downhill from there. It would work intermittently, sometimes stop for no reason (fuse not blown), and sounded like it was full of rocks; some of the same stuff you're experiencing.

When I took it off to replace it, it hadn't rained in weeks and I still got a few ounces of water out of the jack head when I turned it over. The new jack is a MUCH better design, and MUCH higher quality.

I would check the switch, and make sure you have a good ground (the jack grounds to the frame at the mounting point) first just to see if that's the problem. But I would also be shopping for a new jack if I were you. One thing I discovered is that the manual override works VERY well except that the handle hits my propane tank cover. So there at the end it got to be kind of a pain to take that off every time I needed to use the jack.

Welcome to the forum, good luck, and let us know how it all works out!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote