Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2016, 09:57 PM   #1

Electric Steps will not stayed deployed anymore.

I have a 2014 Redhawk 26 footer. The power steps use to deploy when the door opened, and if I switched it off, the steps would stay deployed untill I either put a key in the ignition and turned it, or turned the switch on again, and closed the door.

Today, while at the campground, the steps decided to retract and only open when the door was openned.

The reed switch worked as it should. I pulled on and off switch from wall and disconnected the wires. Openned the door again, steps deployed, closed door, steps retracted. So, I put the switch back as it should be.

I deployed the steps then crawled under RV and pulled harness plug free from step motor. Now the steps are staying deployed, and when we leave for home saturday, I will reconnect harness wire so that they can retract.

What can I do to figure out the problem?

Thanks

Steve
Stevefaync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:06 PM   #2

Sounds like the steps are either getting the signal that the ignition has been turned on (thus putting the steps away in readiness for getting underway) or the control module for the steps has gone kaput.

You'll need to get a schematic to determine where ignition power comes in. If there's no "ignition on" signal, the only way I how know to determine if the module is bad is to replace it.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:57 PM   #3

I posted the same problem about 3 months ago. Calling the dealer got a uhhh, don't know. Tried all offered suggestions, nada, thanks all for trying. I did the same as you, unplugged it. Dealer will get it when I get back home next month.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #4

Thanks folks.

I might spend the 100 bucks today and just replace the module. Camping world sells them, and it looks easy enough to replace. It would cost me more money in gas to take this in to our jayco dealer and back home than just buying the part.

If I swap it out, I will post the results.

Cheers!

Steve
Old 03-30-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

IMHO, that's your best bet. Yes, please let us know if it works or not.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:25 AM   #6

I was going to swap things out, and plugged the unit back in. It started working as it should, without fixing or changing anything. Swap is on hold for now.

Steve
Old 04-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #7

Glad you found it! Bad connection on the unit plug. Some dielectric grease may help the connection and keep the moisture at bay.