Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #1

Electrical issue ??

Hello All,
I have learned a lot from all the experience on this forum and have become so much more aware of my camper. Thank you.
Today as I was cleaning and de-winterizing our '15 27dsrl I lost 110 power. The only thing running at the time was the fantastic fan -on hi speed, 3 speed model. My wife came home so I turned the TV on when she came out to the camper. About 3 mins later the tv cut off and wouldn't turn on. I checked the breakers camper and garage- all good
I then got my outlet tester and plugged it into the outlet- it showed that the hot and ground was reversed. I checked all outlets- same thing . The microwave , Ac fan and refrigerator all had no power. 12 volt lights did work.
I sat and wondered about this-haha- for in my memory I thought I had read something similar recently.
Went back to camper after dinner and all works now as nothing had happened--- I'm kind of stumped.
Any ideas and or explanations

Thanks.
Just One More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #2

Now that it's working, does the tester still show ground and hot reversed? Could it be a bad extension cord?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #3

Sorry, I forgot to add that the checker shows correct wiring now. I did check the ext cord when things weren't working and it showed open ground. Unfortunately I haven't / didn't think to recheck after it went back to normal. I made sure all connections were firm.
In the morning I will put my surge protector on their as it never dawned on me to use it here at home. Duh!! And another extension cord.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:04 PM   #4

If I recall correctly, the neutral ( white ) and ground in an RV electrical system are not common to one another. So I'm wondering if you are really reading hot and ground reversed, or hot and neutral reversed.

Second thought then is simply how the extension cord is plugged into the outlet... does the cord have a polarity ? Can you only plug the cord into the outlet one way with one prong being larger than the other?

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:12 AM   #5

I would get a good quality extension cord. Perhaps a 10Gauge (10-3) contractor grade.

The red-orange cords from WALMART just won't hack it...

Also I never have any luck with those small round black adapters... The only thing that really works is the RV30A-15A LONG dog bone style adapters. You can pick these up at WALMART back in the camping section items...

The 30A RV30-15 looks like this...

They also have the 50A to 30A long adapter then you use the 30A-15A to get all of that down to the garage 120VAC receptacle.

You also have to watch what you plug into in the house... Make sure the 120VAC receptacle is wired correctly using one of these circuit testers...

Keep in mind the trailer requires all three of the conductors to be used when plugged in. This is where the trailer safety frame ground comes from. Some folks will cut the ground pin off of an extension cord for whatever reason. Trailer has to use all three conductors.

I also have one of these RV120VAC meters plugged into the trailer where i can see it easily. This one has the GREEN safe zone printed on the scale. I will not turn on my Air Conditioner or high wattage microwave etc unless the 120VAC coming from the house is within the GREEN safe zone...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:57 AM   #6

Thanks for all suggestions ! I guess the only explanation I have was a bad extension plug or poor connection. After checking garage outlet, end of extension cord all tested fine yesterday.
I did put another 12/3 cord on with surge protector this time but all seems to be normal at this time.
I had to use this forum Sunday for researching how to get a window back on track. We love the look of the frameless Windows but they certainly restrict air flow( thus the fantastic vent fan ) but the operating design leaves something to be desired--- sliding windows next time. Although the fan greatly helps improve the ability to pull fresh air thru the unit.
We leave Sunday morning headed to Mama Gerts Campground near Asheville for 4 nights and then to Kerr Lake for 4 nights.

Thanks All !!