Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #1

Electrical problem

We are having some electrical problem with the lights on the trailer (32bhds). Every time we tow, the master fuse that is up by the battery gets shorted out. Our blinkers and lights used to work on the trailer as well. Sometimes the lights will go on, but will not get any blink for the turn signals or the break lights. DH has checked the connections on the tow vehicle. He has also checked the brake/turn lights on the back. We have even replaced the bulbs. We can't seem to find what is causing these problems. I am looking for any other ideas we can check before we end up taking it to the dealership for them to look at it. Thanks.
harleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

I assume everything works fine when not connected to the TV and that the 30amp fuse near the battery remains fine.

I guess I would start checking for any wires/cables that might have been crimped or chewed in the area of the TT A-frame (i.e; 7-pin connector/cable, e-stop wires, etc.).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #3

Always check that you have a good ground also. Lots of problems attributed to bad ground connections.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
Site Team

Do both fuses blow? The one in the TV and TT?

Has DH opened the TV's cable connection and made sure there are no shorting wires (hitting bumps...)

Connect the TT cable to the TV connector and wiggle the TT's cable to see if there is a problem in the cable.

If he has not, have DH try this TT cable test.

If you have a diagram for the TT to TV cable connector and know a little about electricity, you can check to see if the problem is at the TT end.

Your TT cable end has a contact in the cable for each of the following:
- 12VDC (connected to the TT's 12volt system
- Right Turn signals/Emergency flasher
- Brakes
- Ground (DO NOT TEST THIS CONTACT with fused link)
- Left Turn signals/Emergency flasher
- Running Lights
- Auxiliary (or backup lights)

USE A FUSED (5 amp) INLINE FUSE LINK.. (buy at AutoZone, Radio Shack..)

Do NOT use an un-fused wire, because if there is a short you could cause some major issues to yourself (burnt fingers, the TT wiring and the TT electronics.

Try this:
Insert one end of the fused link into the cable's 12VDC contact.
Take the other end of the fused link and insert it into the appropriate contact(s) and verify that the lights are on or shorted. Wiggle the cable to see if there is an issue. Make sure you do not touch the fused link to the GROUND contact in the plug.

Also, use a Volt/Ohm meter to test the ground contact to the frame ground

Just my thoughts,
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #5

Everything works fine once we get to our location and changed out the fuse that blew. And then when we get home, we have to change the fuse again. Outside lights are hit and miss. As we took the trailer out last night, the lights would go on as we hit a bump in the road and then go out on the next bump. So we are thinking there is a short there. Yesterday, both fuses did blow. I don't think both blow all the time. Getting tired of having to stop at Walmart to buy extra fuses before a trip.

I know back in July, we bought a tester that we could stick in each of the pins/holes on the connector (both TT and TV) to get the right signal, ie a blinking green light when it was for the left blinker or a brighter light when the brakes were pushed. I know hubby checked all the TV pins for that and they worked. I thought he checked all the ones on the TT as well, but do not recall.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Site Team

You may have found the problem by saying that the lights go on and off when you hit a bump. A loose connection.

With your TV plugged into the TT, and the parking lights on, wiggle the cable that connects the TT to the TV. Also wiggle the cable where it goes into the 4x4 electrical box on the frame.

If nothing happens:

Open the electrical box where the TT to TV cable goes into on the TT. Usually mounted on the frame. Check to see if ALL the wires are terminated in wire nuts. Hook the TV up to the TT and put your parking lights on. Wiggle the wires in the box to see if one may short out. ALSO, look at the wires where they go into the BOX. On mine they used a ROMEX cable connector that was metal and not secured on my 4x4 electrical box. I cut a piece of hose slit it and used it as an insulator around the wires, same with the wires that went through a hole in the frame to the inside of the TT.

One last test, with the TT hooked up to the TT and the parking lights on, wiggle the cable that is connected to the back of the TV's connector. May be a loose wire there.

Good Luck,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #7

Well, we think the problem is with the TV. We hooked up our other tow vehicle that we use for our bikes and the lights worked.... Blinkers and brake lights too. Hubby has been working most the day trying to find where it is on the TV. The other TV is not big enough to pull the trailer.