Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Jim-n-Ash View Post
The dealer's repair guy concluded that it's the GCFI that's wonky, and it needs replaced. We don't know how long it'll take, or when they can do it, but they'll call us back in a little while. He reassured us that the 'fridge is not using very much propane. (I am more or less paranoid about running out of battery and/or propane.)

We're still figuring out the storage configuration, and DH has decided that the new trailer's so nice we need a couple of things new 'cause the old ones, while still serviceable, are too ratty-looking. :-)
If no 120V is working, why is the GFCI to blame? Sure they can be bad and that would affect outlets and the Fridge possibly if tied into that circuit. How that is affecting the whole 120V system has me puzzled. I would be more inclined to think that there is an issue from the service to the panel which could be a loose wire, breaker or bad power cord.

Did you try another outlet with an adapter and use only minimal 120V systems like the converter, fridge and outlets?

Propane will last, but you need to charge your batteries and the converter must be working to have a weekend long outing on one 12V battery without serious conservation.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #12
Not sure either but it may be a GFI hooked power cord.

DHH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #13
I would believe that the house outlet failed, probably tripped the breaker. A bad GFCI would not take out all 120v outlets only the ones downstream. I also have a problem believing that the fridge is downstream of the GFCI or any place on that circuit due to the importance of the fridge Larry
Larry & Rachel Demers 2010 19H, 1999 F250 std cab 5.4, Auto, 4:10's 4x4
19H F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #14
They tried resetting the original GFCI, as apparently one needs to use a screwdriver rather than a finger, 'cause it has to go in pretty far to reset. That didn't work. They replaced the GFCI, and that didn't help. They replaced the breaker, and that didn't help, either. So now they think they need to trace back all the wires and see what's shorting - a dead short, they call it. But as we will not be plugged in on our first trip, we'll wait till we get back to take it in for its diagnostic, and in the meantime see if anything else needs fixed at the same time.

This dealership is really cooperative and good. They're not looking to lay blame anywhere, just to find the problem and fix it. :-) As for battery, well, we have a solar thingie, and we can always plug into the truck if we need to. This trip, we won't be that far from civilization.

Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote