Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #1

Eliminate vent on tank flush input

Discovered the problem last winter when I hooked up to the flush input and ended up flooding the bathroom inside. Forum members made it clear that problems with the inline valve on the flush line are prone to failing and causing water to leak or flow thru the vent rather than into the tank.

I have been pondering the modification to eliminate the valve all together but am still uncertain how to proceed because the valve is located under the bathroom sink cabinet. I can see it but cutting it out and reconnecting a straight pex line is near impossible given my senior citizen status and short arms. Help advice is requested.

I am thinking about loosening the hose inlet port on the outside of my White hawk so that I can get access to the pex connection on the back of that fixture. I should then be able to cut the line under the cabinet lower down where it will be easier for me to clamp on a new line to reconnect to the inlet. I am hoping that by loosening the outside inlet port and disconnect it from the pex, I will be able to push it back thru the wall and then removing the whole line/vent down to where I cut it under the cabinet.

I am then faced with reinstalling a line back up and thru the TT wall where I can reclamp the line to the inlet port. The reconnection to the line under the cabinet would be easier with that being nearer the bottom of the cabinet and therefore easier to access.

Any ideas?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:22 AM   #2

Using "Shark-Bite" type fittings will make connecting the pex lines much easier in cramped spaces as they do not have to be crimped or clamped. I have had to replace the vent/vacuum break valve in one of my fifth wheels and like yours it was located under the bathroom sink and a REAL pain to access. I do not recommend eliminating it though, as keeps the black water from backing up in the tank rinser lines. J.M.H.O.
rdlouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
Site Team

I would replace but not eliminate that vent if it's leaking.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlouks View Post
Using "Shark-Bite" type fittings will make connecting the pex lines much easier in cramped spaces as they do not have to be crimped or clamped. I have had to replace the vent/vacuum break valve in one of my fifth wheels and like yours it was located under the bathroom sink and a REAL pain to access. I do not recommend eliminating it though, as keeps the black water from backing up in the tank rinser lines. J.M.H.O.
Will check out the sharkbite clamps. Not concerned about anything backing up in the line, it would be easy enough to blow them out with a little water pressure. Anyway my experience with this valve and the war stories I heard about them has convinced me to eliminate the thing and go with a direct input line,
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #5

That's what I did. I just screw a plug on the end of the line when I am not using it.

PS I also NEVER use a drinking water hose on it.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote