Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #1

Eternabond Over Molding/Trim

I am getting ready to use Eternabond across the roof at the rear wall and down the roof sides. What are the considerations? Is it okay to overlap the metal trim and rubber seal that covers the trim screws? The tape will fold over and cover the 1" molding/trim across the rear wall. Down the sides, it will fold into the metal gutters. Is this okay? Does anyone have experience using Eternabond in these places? Thank You!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:10 PM   #2

I've used Eternabond as you describe. I put the bottom edge of the 4" tape just above the start of the gutter channel. I did the job just after we got our new trailer; I think I did it in 2012. So far, the Eternabond is tight and secure. It's very important to clean the area very well; first with a brush with a detergent and water, rinse, let dry. Then I used acetone as a final cleaner.

You will find that Eternabond is difficult to handle on a curve; it does not stretch or conform well to an irregular surface. Go slow, and roll the Eternabond down firmly with a metal roller after it is in place. It sometimes helps to expose just a bit of the adhesive surface as you begin to align the bottom edge of the Eternabond where you want it to stick and to pull loose the plastic film backing as you apply the Eternabond.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:27 AM   #3

Thank you! How about over the metal trim and rubber seal that conceals the trim screws (across the top of the rear wall)? Any moisture trapping issues? I would imagine it would be a bear to remove the Eternabond if I needed access to the trim screws.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:57 AM   #4

I have wrapped eternabond over the rain gutter and has worked just fine. Like it was previously said, preparation is the key!! Use the primer, it makes the tape even tackier?
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:01 AM   #5

There is a post on YouTube about taking eternabond off with a heat gun. Hope I don't need to do it.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Thank you! How about over the metal trim and rubber seal that conceals the trim screws (across the top of the rear wall)? Any moisture trapping issues? I would imagine it would be a bear to remove the Eternabond if I needed access to the trim screws.
The moisture is kept out by the Eternabond, which is over the vinyl strip and screws, so the Ebond is the answer to any moisture concerns, not the cause for more.

I've removed some Eternabond before, and it is difficult but possible. If you have to remove it, there are two ways I know of. One would be to slice the Eternabond that is over the vinyl strip, and then remove the vinyl strip with attached Eternabond. The other way is to use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat up the Ebond; wearing leather gloves (the Ebond is hot) grab the white film and pull. The white film will pull loose, as will some of the grey Ebond "glue". A solvent (mineral spirits or naptha, both of which are flammable) on a rag will soften and wipe away the grey glue. Many wipes with fresh solvent dampened rags are necessary, but it will eventually clean up.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #7

And make sure you roll over it good with pressure, this is what activates the bond. I bought the Eternabond roller which is heavy probably over two pounds and made the job much easier, you will see the adhesive pushing out along the edges of the tape.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #8

Am considering using the tape on the top seams of front and rear on my W Hawk. Undersand the need to clean and prep. I'm confused about the edge seams going down the sides. Can't get my hands around what that looks like.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote