Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #1

First camp out

Ok, My family of four had our first camp out in our new Jayco 28BHBE. Over all everything went pretty well. 1st problem we had was all power was lost on one side of our travel trailer. This was crazy to loose power only to one side. I checked the power outlet we plugged into and could see there were one blue lights on each side of the plug. Later I returned to see only one light was on. I pushed on the plug and both lights reappeared. One side of the plug had pulled out because the large power cable was curled and it kept pulling the one leg out causing one side of the trailer to loose power. The receptacle was worn and loose so I used an extention cable and reduced to a 30 amp and plugged into the 30 amp recepticle. This fixed the problem.
2nd I've never leveled a trailer and placed too much weight on one jack stand and it caused the jack stand to bend and twist from excessive weight. This was a night mare. I let it down and tried again. Once I jacked it up it would push the trailer to the right as it was bent at an angle and pushed side ways rather than up. Just had to deal with it until I got home. Then I took it off and straightened out the mounting bracket. Once I put it back on it worked great.
The grey and black tanks really fill up fast and the shower runs out of hot water pretty quick however it heat back up within 20 minutes.
Other than this things went really good. We did identify a few things we needed as far as household suplies and really made a great choice on the Stok gas grill at Target. It folds up and fits really well in the trailers outside storage.
Finally we leave and stop at the drop off station. While waiting on the couple in front of us we noticed they had noticed they stored their sewage hose in the rear bumper of their travel trailer. Wow! I wandered if I could do the same thing. YES it worked for me too. What a great place to store this sticky hose. I did wash it out after we dumped out though.
Looking forward to our next campout.
Jjoyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #2

When you say "jack stand" are you referring to the stabilizers? They are on all four corners and you lower them until they reach the ground, right?

These are not meant to take weight and level the trailer. You level the trailer with blocks or something under the tires. The "jacks" are strictly stabilizers to keep things from rocking and swaying once you are level.

That is why one buckled under the weight. This is a common mistake.

So for leveling you need something like these: RV Leveling Blocks, Set of 10 - Four Corners D11-133 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World

or these: http://www.amazon.com/Andersen-3604-...camper+leveler
AirLift 1000 Suspension
MrScary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:41 PM   #3

Agreed, you must level the trailer First by blocking the wheels and lifting or lowering the tongue, then stabilize it from further movement

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:03 AM   #4

Are you using your shower like you do at home or are you taking Navy showers? I had to get my on my kids about continuously running the shower but now they understand and know what to do. With a 6 gallon hot water heater, we try not to take 4 showers in a row and it we start to run low on hot water, I'll turn light the water heater while the electric element is on too.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #5

Congratulations on your maiden voyage! Sounds like you made the same mistakes we've all made the first few times out. But it sounds like you learned from those mistakes; which means you'll probably also learn from the advice others have given you. Many have suggested on other posts that new campers keep a note pad in the trailer to write down (while your camping) the things that will make your next trip better. Just remember, death is the only excuse to stop learning. And when you start taking your maintenance, packing, towing, backing, set-up, teardown, and safety practices for granted, is when you'll start making mistakes - some of which can be costly, harmful, or even fatal! Please read and follow the recommendations in your owners' manual. Develop a written list of procedures to follow for each camping-associated task. Don't get distracted from the task at hand. Once you start a task, finish it before you move on to the next. There is a time for adult beverages . . . and it's not before or during the time you're on the road.

Finally, once the set-up tasks have been completed, sit down in your favorite lawn chair, put your feet up, and relax with the family for a couple of hours. Knowing that you've been diligent in your preparation, towing, and set-up makes this time all the more sweet!

Happy camping!
Old 03-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #6

Glad you enjoyed yourself overall. We all make mistakes. Every trip you'll learn something new or a better way of doing things. It takes a while to figure out what you need and what you are hauling around that you really don't need.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #7

Glad you enjoyed the maiden voyage. Camping is a never ending learning experience.
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #8

We ordered the same camper and it should arrive in another week. I'm excited for our first trip out. Sounds like overall it went well. We have a popup we are trying to sell. I remember our first trip out I tried to level with the stabilizers. I now know better lol. We ordered the anderson levelers some have posted about. I'll have to report after our first trip out how we like them. Mind if I ask what you are towing with and how well it towed? I'm so anxious for ours to arrive so I just live through everyone else till then lol.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #9

Well done, glad you enjoyed the trip. Here's to many more.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:22 PM   #10

Yep, definitely want that hose stored in the bumper...

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #11

Another tip that you might like that will help keep from filling your grey tank to quickly, when running the water in the shower to get just the right temp run the water into a bucket. You can then use that water to flush the toilet do dishes or whatever.
You can also but a shutoff before the shower head, then once you have the temp you like use the shutoff instead of the faucet. Then you don't waste water finding the temp you like again. Here's the one I installed from Amazon, it works like a champ KES K1140B Shower Head Shut-Off Valve Solid Brass, Chrome - - Amazon.com

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote