Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #1

Five Warped Wheels / Rims

This is a heads up for anyone that has a Jayco built in 5/11 or near that date.

We purchased a new 2012 Jay Flight Swift 264BH about 2 months ago. It was made in 5/11 (got great deal with new 2013's coming in!). I have pulled trailers since learning to drive at 15 yrs old and pulled stock trailers extensively the last 20+ years so I am very in tune to how a trailer handles behind my trucks. We have the tires and rims balanced even on the stock trailers to prevent tire wear out and stress to animals.

On the trip home from the dealers I was feeling a vibration in the new TT. A couple of weeks after getting it we took it about 20 miles away after loading it to get a "test" camp in and vibration was worse. I checked with dealer on the balancing of the wheels and tires and neither Jayco or dealer did this and was told by dealers head tech it would be good idea to do if I felt vibration. Tire balancing company that does my farm work found all 5 of the rims - even spare! - were warped so bad you could watch them wobble on the spin machine, one so bad over 5 ounces of lead added and computer system still refused to accept it. Had to be a bad production run. Jayco replaced the rims but would not replace the tires unless further trouble shows up -dealer assures me it is documented and they will stand behind me for the full 2 years on the tires. These are the white 15.5 inch rims with the diamond shaped cut outs.

I am very satisfied and pleased with my dealer and Jayco on the handling of this and we will keep a good eye on the tires to make sure the couple of trips we had to make till the new rims arrived did not damage them. I would say they were bolted on wrong if the spare had not been warped also - this indicates to me that there was a bad production run at the rim manufacturing plant that got past QC. Just wanted to give anyone else with a rig built about 5/11 a heads up to keep a good check on their tire wear as I doubt if I got the only 5 that were bad.

Again, I feel Jayco and my dealer have handled this well (dealer pulled all 5 and took them with new rims and paid for mounting tires AND balancing.). I just wanted to warn others with rigs made about this date running this type of rim that they need to make sure they are safe.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Wilford
Charolaisbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #2

Wilford - thanks for the heads up. This is the first I can remember seeing this issue so hopefully it is very isolated.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #3

Wilford, that's good of you to share that with us. I am surprised how hard my wheels are torqued on my trailer. I'm just hoping there not over torqued. The new styled nuts they use caution about that very thing.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
Wilford, that's good of you to share that with us. I am surprised how hard my wheels are torqued on my trailer. I'm just hoping there not over torqued. The new styled nuts they use caution about that very thing.
Murphie,

When I started reading my manual after getting new unit home, Jayco had even inserted a new update on how to tighten and torque the nuts on each type of wheel. Very, very specific with very specific torque values. I am going to jack the unit up and loosen nuts and redo the tightening on the new wheels as the dealer just impacted them on without any torque checking (totally wrong according to the instructions but even with good dealers "they always know best". I may look at buying me a set of the torque attachments for my impact so I don't have to get the torque wrench out and fight it each time I need to work on the rig but for right now I am going to get that insert sheet out and follow it to the letter as I don't want problems on this set of wheels. I could have seen this being the problem if the 4 on the ground were all that were warped but the spare was one of the worst warped according to my local tire dealer, reason I am worried about a bad batch of wheels.
Charolaisbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #5

Good heads up, and it does remind me to get my wheels balanced. Never quite understood why they don't balance the wheels, it just makes sense to me, and it would have caught this issue before landing in the consumers lap.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #6

Thank you. I have a 2012 Swift 264BH also and will be balancing the wheels this weekend. If I find any bent rims or any that take more than 3/4 of an ounce of lead I'll be taking the receipt straight to the dealer. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for the heads up.
2012 Jayco Jay Flight Swift 264BH (retired)
2003 Chevy Suburban 5.3L, 3.73 gears (retired)

I'm not sleeping on the ground ever again.
Shaner is offline   Reply With Quote