Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2017, 07:05 AM   #1

Flat tire in the spring?

So, our BRAND NEW Jayco 17XFD had a flat tire...

We bought it at the end of last year, took it camping once, the winterized it...

The other day I noticed one of the four tires on it was flat. I've pumped it up and also noticed the other three were lot (35 psi). I put them all at 45 psi for now, and when I de-winterize when it gets a bit warmer, I'll take them all up to 50 psi.

SO, how concerned should I be about the one that went flat???

TV 2016 Ford Explorer Limited
TT 2016 Jay Feather 17XFD Hybrid
pfalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #2

My experience with the original tires on both unit we've owned is they loose air quickly when compared with tires on our car/truck. I guess it's just how ST tires are. Time will tell how the new Goodyear US made ST tires perform.
The tire that went flat is another point. If it went completely flat I'd suspect a slow leak somewhere. I recently had a leak that turned out to be a damaged valve stem. If it is having a problem it'll probably go flat again pretty quickly.
Reading the tire horror stories on the JOF prompted me to buy a TPMS and it has saved me twice by alerting me of a tire failure while driving. My neighbor, also a trailer guy, was not so lucky. A passing motorist alerted him to a flat and shredding tire. It was flailing the wheel well and did quite a bit of damage. Needless to say I'm a huge fan of having a monitor.
Congrats on the new HTT, our first was an X23B which we loved but quickly longed for something bigger. Tho gone, we still talk fondly of it.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
My experience with the original tires on both unit we've owned is they loose air quickly when compared with tires on our car/truck. I guess it's just how ST tires are. Time will tell how the new Goodyear US made ST tires perform.
The tire that went flat is another point. If it went completely flat I'd suspect a slow leak somewhere. I recently had a leak that turned out to be a damaged valve stem. If it is having a problem it'll probably go flat again pretty quickly.
Reading the tire horror stories on the JOF prompted me to buy a TPMS and it has saved me twice by alerting me of a tire failure while driving. My neighbor, also a trailer guy, was not so lucky. A passing motorist alerted him to a flat and shredding tire. It was flailing the wheel well and did quite a bit of damage. Needless to say I'm a huge fan of having a monitor.
Congrats on the new HTT, our first was an X23B which we loved but quickly longed for something bigger. Tho gone, we still talk fondly of it.
TPMS will help with slow leaks or low psi in a tire, but they will do no good with a sudden tire failure either from road hazard or tire defect. Always check psi before each trip and investigate if a tire repeatedly loses psi. I am not a fan of TPMS because they are expensive and not particularily useful as long as you moniter psi at stops and overnights.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #4

I know this sounds stupid but, did you check the Schrader valve in the valve stem? They CAN and WILL on occasion come loose. Buy a cheap Schrader valve tool and make sure they're tightened. On my old truck, I had a cut valve stem. I was washing the truck's wheels and when I hit the valve stem, I heard air. Bent the valve around a little and there was a cut right where it enters the wheel. And inspection didn't catch it, so check that as well.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #5

X2 on the slow leak due to bad valve stem from the factory. Discount Tire replaced the valve stem at no charge.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #6

We lost about 15psi per tire over the winter. Stock Raniers.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I know this sounds stupid but, did you check the Schrader valve in the valve stem? They CAN and WILL on occasion come loose. Buy a cheap Schrader valve tool and make sure they're tightened. On my old truck, I had a cut valve stem. I was washing the truck's wheels and when I hit the valve stem, I heard air. Bent the valve around a little and there was a cut right where it enters the wheel. And inspection didn't catch it, so check that as well.
Hmm.. not a stupid question, since I didn't know much about the valve stem (yay for Youtube)... I'll have to check... will probably do the old soapy water test as well. I am hoping it was just a cold weather issue that won't resurface.

TV 2016 Ford Explorer Limited
TT 2016 Jay Feather 17XFD Hybrid
pfalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #8

On our old TowMax tires we would loose 10-20 psi over the winter. Between trips every 2-3 weeks apart we would loose 2-10 psi. These tires had the rubber valve stems.

Last year, Installed new Carlisle RH tires with metal valve stems. I noticed last year, I was not topping off the tires very often. This spring I pulled it our of storage, one tire was down 0.5 psi, the other three were at 65psi.

As for the flat tire, I would use a little soapy water on the valve stem. You could have also picked up a nail during your last trip.

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
TPMS will help with slow leaks or low psi in a tire, but they will do no good with a sudden tire failure either from road hazard or tire defect. Always check psi before each trip and investigate if a tire repeatedly loses psi. I am not a fan of TPMS because they are expensive and not particularily useful as long as you moniter psi at stops and overnights.
Bass, I'll disagree with you about the sudden pressure loss. I've had one dramatic tire failure where 2/3 of the tread departed from the rest of the tire. My monitor immediately started beeping and flashing red, glancing in the mirror I saw the strip of tread flopping in the road behind me. I was on the brakes and shoulder before any damage was done (except to the cheap tire). A second instance was slightly less dramatic but the tire was coming apart and loss pressure a little less rapidly (probably over a 3 sec or so period). Without the TPMS I would have had no idea of either, like my neighbor.
I always check and adjust pressures as needed before hitting the road. the failure wasn't a pressure issue but, I believe, just a bad tire and a heavy trailer (and no, I was not overloaded).
JMHO

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 03-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #10

Our previous 5th wheel (SOB) arrived new from the factory with Towmax tires... but it was a cracked WHEEL that was our problem. Makes me wonder what kind of driver our deliveryman was... We had that trailer for 7 years with no other issues though (the dealer replaced the wheel for us). We did upgrade the tires after 3 years. I've heard too many horror stores about Towmax to keep those for very long.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:09 AM   #11

Factory valve stems leak almost always in my experience. You can easily spin them if they are the rubber push in type. I would upgrade to nut type rigid and it should solve your problem.

Spray some dish soap and water solution all over the tire and rim to confirm.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:27 AM   #12

Air is subjected to change with temperature. Nitrogen does not.
I do not have nitrogen in my tires yet. When I put my trailer away for the winter, I pumped them up to 70 psi (normal psi is 65) Right now, all mine are at 63 psi.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:41 AM   #13

Our trailer came with the tires filled with Nitrogen. When I recently topped off the pressures I used a mixture that was 78 percent nitrogen .
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolead View Post
Our trailer came with the tires filled with Nitrogen. When I recently topped off the pressures I used a mixture that was 78 percent nitrogen .

LOL, so you used a regular pump? Regular air contains 78% nitrogen. Figured you were making a joke and not all would catch it....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:55 AM   #15

SouthCo, You are absouletly correct !! I figure if it has been a good enough mixture to keep me pumped up for the past 67 years, it's good enough for those tires !!LOL!!
Old 03-31-2017, 09:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Does the exotic gas mixture cost extra?

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 03-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Old 03-31-2017, 10:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Air is subjected to change with temperature. Nitrogen does not.
I do not have nitrogen in my tires yet. When I put my trailer away for the winter, I pumped them up to 70 psi (normal psi is 65) Right now, all mine are at 63 psi.
Actually, nitrogen will change pressure with changes in temperature. For RVs and TVs, there is no advantage to using pure nitrogen except to the snake oil peddler.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:37 AM   #19

I've been considering packageing this top secret mixture and retailing it. I believe combined with my dehydrated ice I should have a winner !!
Old 03-31-2017, 10:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Leaks can (and usually do) develop while driving, something only a good TPMS. If a brake is dragging on wheel, a good TPMS will detect the increased heat the tire is subjected to, something you will never be able to detect before leaving on a trip and may be too late by the time you stop. It's also possible to blow a tire on a trailer while driving and be completely be unaware of it until after further damage has been done. A good TPMS will alert you to leaks and sudden loss of air while you are driving.