Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Front End A/C Problem

Model: Pinnacle 38FLSA

Hey folks I'm still scanning the threads searching for a solution but currently unable to find it. Heres my current problem:

My front end living air conditioner is having a problem cooling the front end of the camper. The bedroom a/c is just fine. I have the thermostat set to 73, but the past two days Ive been unable to get the camper to cool to that setting. It hasn't gone below 82 degrees. I checked the fuse and didn't see any problems with it. I also turned off and on the breaker. Still no luck. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Summer is coming fast here in Texas.
Christo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

Is the compressor coming on? Do you have the heat pump unit? Our unit had a bad reversing valve (Coleman problem) and consequently the entire ac had to be replaced.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:51 AM   #3

Grumpy,

I don't think the compressor is working. When the AC is on, a cannot hear the low hum as I do in the bedroom. I can only hear a fan blowing. Is there a fix I could do myself if it is a compressor issue?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:33 AM   #4

First thing I would check is the thermostat wiring. Pull it off the wall and check all the wire nut connections. If it's the reversing valve like I had the only repair is a new ac. If your handy you could also check the wiring connections on the roof. Pull the black cover and then remove the grey shroud to get to the control box to be sure a wire didn't come loose up there. (Definitely have it off since the fans will be exposed)
Old 03-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #5

A/C units also have capacitors in line with the power and motor. These will remain charged for some time after disconnecting power - be careful

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:52 PM   #6

If you're comfortable with it, get up on the roof and take a look inside the AC cabinet. Look for any bad wiring or a bad relay (burnt looking). Also, take a look at the capacitor/capacitors. It will look like a small tin can. Capacitors will generally expand and get a domed top and/or leak an oily substance when they go bad.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:30 AM   #7

Thanks guys. I'll take note of the lines being charged still and take a look on top for any visible damage. The feedback is appreciated.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #8

Ok folks. Here is the diagnosis. The fan blade motor become loose from its base because the bolt holding it in place busted. Perhaps it was over torque? When the motor mount came off the fan jostled around and broke a blade and lodged itself in a way that the fan couldn't turn. Hopefully the manufacture will cover it.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #9

Thinking out loud here...but would that keep the compressor from kicking on even for a little bit? I know if it get above temp (ie over heating) it should shut down or would hope. Low coolant in the system keep the compressor from coming on like in a residential unit? Hopefully its simple and a cheap fix for you.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote