Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #1

Front Slide Outs on 2012 Melbourne 29D not working

I was wondering if anyone can help me find the "common point" here.

I've had this awesome RV for a little over a year now and taken 8 or so weekend trips with the camper. So far, it's all I hoped it would be and more.

This past weekend, we hooked up and the front slide outs will not work. Luckily it stopped working while the slide-outs were IN.

The rear slide out (bedroom) is working just fine and all other 120V AC and 12V DC devices are working fine.

I checked all of the fuses (at least those labeled "front-slide outs" in the panel under the bed) and all of them seem fine.

I also hear "clicking" in the panel under the bed when we press the OUT, or IN buttons on both slide outs, so the command panel seems to be "communicating" with the fuse panel and inverter.

Any advice on what to check next ?

I still have time left on the 2 year warranty, so I'm not interested in taking anything major apart but I think there may be another fuse somewhere else that I'm overlooking.

Thanks in advance.
richiejenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #2

I know this sounds pretty basic -- but did you doublecheck that there is nothing stopping the slides from moving? Any travel bars or storage items that are getting in the way?

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #3

That's not really an unreasonable thing to ask. We've all been known to do something like that before. My most famous one was on my previous RV where I left the dustpan back there and then closed it up.

Yes. There was nothing in the way of either of the two slides. I'm not hearing the motors on either one start when I press the slide OUT (or IN) switch on the command center console. If something was obstructing these from sliding, I would at least hear the motors I assume.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #4

Do you have the emergency brake set? Not sure if it applies here, but there may be a safety involved. Also try them with the engine running in case you have a low battery.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #5

Interesting...I did not have the emergency brake on when I first tried when I hooked up that weekend. I did though notice the brake was not on the next day and put it on and I'm sure I tried the slide outs again after that. I did not try to run the engine and do it, but I did run the generator and try it. I'm going to head outside here in a little bit and try both of those and report back...

Thanks
Old 08-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #6

I just went outside. Hooked up the power. Parking brake is on (and all the way down). Same symptoms.

Started the engine, same symptom.

I also noticed there are 2 fuses (which I did not see the day I was camping - it was too dark that day) near the secondary battery compartment and tested both of those fuses. They are both good.

And just to re-iterate, the rear single slide-out for the bedroom is working just fine. Whatever has happened is at a common point that the two front slides share.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #7

It could be a ground failure on the slide out.. enough power getting through to make the motor click but not enough to fully engage the motor and move the slideout.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #8

Thanks for chiming in.

The "clicking" I hear is not on either of the motors. It from what I assume is the inverter box under the bed which from what I've read is behind the fuses.

I can't find any wiring schematics on-line to determine whether both of the front slides share a common ground and how to even trace that out. I'm following your train of thought here though...Thanks.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiejenni View Post
Thanks for chiming in.

The "clicking" I hear is not on either of the motors. It from what I assume is the inverter box under the bed which from what I've read is behind the fuses.

I can't find any wiring schematics on-line to determine whether both of the front slides share a common ground and how to even trace that out. I'm following your train of thought here though...Thanks.
The slide control units may what you are hearing. All 3 slide control boxes for our SENECA are located in the same area as the converter in the bedroom under the wardrobe. I would start my trouble shooting there to be sure that the plugs running from there to the motors have not come loose. You may
Old 08-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #10

We had a similar issue on our 2011 Greyhawk. The culprit was a bad slide controller located under the bed. To diagnose the problem, I switched the controller for the rear slide which was working to the front non-working slide. I was then able to operate the previously non-functioning slide. I ordered the controller and installed it since ours what out of warranty. Our slide-outs are operated by the Schwintek In-Wall Slide-Out sold by Lippert. Here's a link where you can download product literature if you need it.
http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option...=34&Itemid=278

Good Luck!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #11

Thank you very much for the replies...It's getting a little dark here now, but I'll start on looking at this tomorrow and chime back in. Now that I understand the slide control boxes are under there too.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #12

I did just go outside and lifted the mattress and see the bed box is on a hinge. I lifted the hinge and see that the Lippert must be entombed within a fabricated box that has a bunch of screws in it. Since my unit is still under warranty I won't pull those screws out and risk them telling me they won't fix it. I think you're spot on that this is the issue and will advise the dealer of this when I bring it in. I went to their website using the link you sent and watched the troubleshooting video and I assume the controllers they demonstrated are under there. If only I had x-ray vision I appreciate your advice here. Since the closest jayco place (that I trust and have had good experience with) is 3 hours away I have to make a day of it and I have that day scheduled for early next month. I will definitely write back to close the case on this since now I know that we are not unique in having this issue.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #13

So I had some time today and decided to open the underside of the mattress. In there, I clearly saw the 3 controllers. Each had it's own fuse(s) and a molded plug. All 3 devices looked to be exactly the same. I was able to quickly identify which was the one for the rear slide out which as I mentioned is working fine. I moved the molded connectors for the other two to the known working controller (that the rear was in) and still the fronts do not work. I moved the rear molded connector to each of the other two controller boards and each instance the rear slide out worked. I inspected all of the visible butt connectors in that area, underneath the RV, and under the couch and dinette slideouts where the motors are and they all seem tight. Unfortunately I can't get to the motors for the slide outs to test voltage as they are in tight space and would require I pull up the couch and the seats to be able to remove the floor panel to get to them. One observation of note here is that while the rear slideout motor has ONLY 1 Red and 1 Black wire, both of the front slide out motors have 2 Red and 2 Black wires capped. I know that 1 set goes back to the controllers, not sure what the source or destination of the other set is for. I have an appt. with RV repair shop for next week and will write back.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #14

So I'm back from the dealer. Turns out there is a 30A "shared" fuse with the "tank heater" that was blown. I, in all of my infinite wisdom (and I mean that as a laughing point) did not bother checking THAT fuse because it was labeled "tank heater", and I confused it with my "water heater" which was working just fine because I had hot water. Apparently this model is equipped with a heater for the septic tank. So the only way I would know that wasn't working was to either bring it to the north pole, and pee in it and see it didn't freeze, OR CHECK THE FUSE. Boy did I feel dumb when it was pointed out to me. The repair technician said, "there was a fuse blown and that is was the one labeled tank heater/slide out". I said, "but the water heater is working just fine". He said, " yep, but the tank heater probably wasn't". Then I had the moment of clarity that there was a switch in the bathroom by the toilet labeled "tank heater". The sad thing, is that I knew the unit had this, never used it, and never put two-and-two together. I thank all of you for your help and for those who stated, check the fuse. Thanks and duuuhh!