Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Good Sam - AAA - Other Roadside

Hi,
I was wondering who carries Good Sam - AAA - Other Roadside Assistance, but chooses to fix your own flat if you got one?

For those of you that dont want to wait for a truck to show up and fix your own flat, what do you keep for tools in your camper?

Bottle Jack? How many ton?
4 Way Lug wrench?

Just thinking of the worst case scenario and being able to fix myself.

I have Good Sam, but sometimes it may be quicker to fix myself.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #2

That's a tough call. I carry a bag of tools with me and in the event of a flat I would probably fix it myself. I carry a bottle jack, don't know the rating but it works for minor emergencies. Since I carry tool I just use a 1/2 ratchet and socket for wheel lugs.

I keep the motor club for things that I can't easily fix. Like last March, 2015 when a wheel hub bearing on my truck failed.

I used to use AAA and had good experiences. Until the wheel bearing failed 170 miles from home. I was moving my daughter out of state and towing a U-Haul trailer. On the phone they said I was covered. When we got it home they said the U-haul wasn't covered. $500 to tow the U-haul home. Duh, had they told me it wasn't covered I would have had the tow company take it to a local U-haul shop and pay the drop off fee.

Long story short, I got them to pay part of it in a dispute letter, but they reprimanded me for not knowing my coverage. Not cool.

I currently have Good Sam RS. They, like AAA, had a Premium RV coverage that offered 200 miles of towing to the destination of my choosing. Trouble is the renewal rate went up $50 over what I paid when signing up. I'm probably going back to AAA.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
Site Team

All any of them sell is customer service. They all contract with local provider who may or may not get there quickly during peak times and remote locations.

I have had bad customer service from Allstate and have been with GSRS for 13 years. They offered a fixed rate w/ no increases a few years back and I have it for that price as long as I pay it w/ a CC.

I have used it a number of times for towing and flats and am completely satisfied.

I carry blocks, lug wrench and a 6 ton bottle jack. I used to be able to use it but prefer not to now days.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #4

I've been a AAA member for years (my kids also) and have always had good service from them. They offer may services from trip planning to free maps to vehicle registration. I highly recommend them. I had to use them twice for towing on last on summers vacation. Once when the transfer case broke and left us stranded in Green River, UT and then when leaving Mesquite, NV a semi clipped the corner of the trailer and it had to be towed to Last Vegas,NV for repairs. I've always had a quick response from AAA and never had to pay any charges. As far as tools at minimum you should be able to change a tire, a battery if needed or a radiator hose. I carry a lot of tools because we go off road after parking the trailer but I've noticed in my travels that you're never far away from a Walmart in case you need to pick up a wrench or something. To change a trailer flat I use the Anderson level chocks in combination with the 2 boards I use under the tongue jack and it gets the flat tire off the ground. No crawling under there with a bottle jack and boards.
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #5

We carry the Good Sam Roadside Assistance.

I would probably change my own flat but if something else goes south, at least I know we can get a service call. Peace of mind, thing.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:21 PM   #6

I upgraded from AAA Premium to AAA Premium Plus RV a couple years ago. I used them for the both of my load range E blowouts which were about 75 miles apart and the service was good. This occurred on a return visit from Mesquite, NV and it was about 110 degrees so, I decided to let AAA do the swap out. TG I stopped off at a tire shop and had a Maxxis tire put on the wheel of the blown tire because the second blowout happened shortly thereafter.
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #7

Coach Net with on scene help in under an hour.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #8

I switched from AAA about 20 years ago when AAA told me "yes you're covered but we don't have a contractor on that stretch of I75 so just call your own tow truck and file a claim. "
If I had KNOWN anyone to call in the middle of nowhere I wouldn't have needed AAA.

I stayed with Allstate until last year when Goodsam lured me away with a special.

I carry a sizzor jack, boards and a cool folding lug wrench. I don't know the weight rating on the jack, I've had it for 40 years - it came off a big truck. I think it would lift a house. I like it because it has a huge amount of lift, I would guess it goes from 6in when collapsed to about two feet.
I've changed my own tires twice in the last few years. Both times we were in the middle of nowhere and waiting for Goodsam would have taken hours. My wife and I are in our 60s and we can change a trailer tire on the side of the road in 90 degree heat in less than 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote