Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2016, 07:40 AM   #1

Greyhawk with no power at 1 outlet

We recently replaced our automatic transfer switch due to a power surge. Subsequently we've found the only outlet powered by the inverter has no current unless the inverter is on. Prior to the issue whenever hooked up to shore power (be it 110v or 30 amp circuit) the outlet was powered even with the inverter off.

Resolution steps so far:
1) Replaced the automatic transfer switch and it's functioning properly.
2) Checked all fuses and breakers at the main circuit board, checked (2) fuses at the house battery and (3) fuses on the battery charger output.
3) Replaced 15 amp breaker labeled "Utility, Charger, Inverter)
4) Pulled the TV and checked the romex cable connections on the rouge outlet.

HELP!! Told the DW I've exhausted my level of intellect! The solution is apparently above my pay grade!!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #2

Breakdown of the problem points to two possible problems.
1. AC power not getting to inverter (look at the last place you were which was the ATS).
2. Inverter not switching the incoming AC power to the outlet.

You can look at the power going from ATS to inverter with a meter to see if it's being passed to the inverter. If you have power into the inverter from the ATS, then the problem is the inverter not passing the power through.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #3

Hey Don, thanks for the information and advice. Upon checking everything with my multimeter and an electrician friend further helping with a diagnosis, we concluded sufficient AC voltage going to the inverter but not passing through to output. I contacted xantrex customer service and was advised to disconnect inverter from all power connections for at least 1 hour. This, they said, would initiate a "hard reset". I disconnected everything and determined we had no power going to the inverter. Since it was what we commonly refer to as Kold Beerz Friday in my neighborhood, I waited till Saturday morning to reconnect everything and see if the hard reset would be the ticket. Well, it did not. I placed another call to customer service Monday morning, advised the agent the problem and the steps we had taken to this point. He finally concluded that a relay in the inverter was bad and the only option was to purchase another unit. I was very pleased with Xantrex customer service.

Well, upon reviewing my options, I ordered the xantrex xm 1800 to replace the xm 1000 unit which was only approx. $70 more. And as Tim the Toolman would say gives us "MORE POWER". We anticipate delivery by the weekend and hopefully we'll be installed and ready to rumble in short order. Finally, I will update this thread once the replacement is installed.