Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #1

Hatch door locks spinning

Anyone having issues with their door locks twisting open without the key?

Forget having the industry standard key my entire lock mechanisims are spinning freely locked or not. I tried tigtening the back nuts but some are stripped now and it is still very easy to open the hatches as a result.

I see on the POS pics that Jayco has gone to the new lift style hatch locks seen on high end pushers but I have the older round style. Anyone been in under warranty for this?

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #2

If you are still under warranty I would have them put on new locks. If out of warranty you should be able to get some locks at Home Depot or Lowes. Then you would not have the common key.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
If you are still under warranty I would have them put on new locks. If out of warranty you should be able to get some locks at Home Depot or Lowes. Then you would not have the common key.
X2

1985 'J' Series 2050
1997 Ram 1500
2004 Jeep WranglerX
Camping and Wheeling...it's what I do!
LilWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #4

I am still under warranty and plan on having it attended to. I was curious if someone had this issue with their unit and what might have been done?

To have one lock I would understand but all mine are spinning which makes me think something was not done right upon install.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 06-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #5

Thumbs up Hatch door locks spinning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Anyone having issues with their door locks twisting open without the key?

Forget having the industry standard key my entire lock mechanisims are spinning freely locked or not. I tried tigtening the back nuts but some are stripped now and it is still very easy to open the hatches as a result.

I see on the POS pics that Jayco has gone to the new lift style hatch locks seen on high end pushers but I have the older round style. Anyone been in under warranty for this?
I didn't have that problem, but did not like the fact that all or most rvs have the same keys to lock/unlock their hatch doors. I bought resettable combination locks from my dealer for around $16.00 each. Parts guy put one on while I watched and then I did the rest later. Only thing was I had to use the little catch/cam that came with the original locks to get them to hold the door tight enough. The one supplied with combo locks didn't close them tight enough. The only lock I couldn't change was the shower door lock. There wasn't enough room to install it.
bradsr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #6

So my holes are round but there is a black plastic insert that makes it oval for the lock to be held in place. Tightening only holds it somewhat tight and when I put the key in I can turn the whole mechanisim on most. I can also spin several of them by twisting the pull tab. Should the black plastic inserts be epoxied or am I missing something?

I could change the mechs but I am still going to have the issue of spinning since the hole is round. Those pot metal nuts can only take so much. That's what has me thinking something upon install was done wrong.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Go through the parts bin till you find the number you need where the keys have the same serial number... that is what I did...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Tightening only holds it somewhat tight and when I put the key in I can turn the whole mechanisim on most. I can also spin several of them by twisting the pull tab. Should the black plastic inserts be epoxied or am I missing something? .
There should be a washer an a lock washer under the nut. It sounds like you are running out of threads. You could remove the nut and install and extra washer . Or another cause may be the plastic insert might be a tad long and the nut is tight to the plastic but not tight to the access door thus letting the lock mechanism spin. (I hope what I wrote makes sense to you).
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Site Team

3'senough: Wonder how this turned out. I am wanting to install a new lock on a large door and need a source for the insert you mention. I can't find it in the few rv parts places I have looked.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #10

Hey Norty the inserts came with the original supplied locks and I have not had to go out and buy them so sorry I cannot provide a supplier for them. What I did however do that is holding strong is put fast cure 5200 on the inside of all the locks liners. They don't spin anymore.

Maybe when you buy one you will get the needed liner or try asking Jayco. Sorry I can't be of more help.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 09-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #11

After seeing this thread again it has occurred to me that you can tighten the lock with a wrench so they won't turn. There is a jam nut on the inside of the hatch. We had to do that with our trailer when we first bought it.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #12

I would love to see a picture of the hole, adapter and lock...

A round hole with a round adapter that accommodates a flat-sided lock has to be the craziest thing I've heard of....the round adapter is still going to spin in the round hole until you firmly affix the two. What materials are the lock adapter and door made from?

Good luck!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
I would love to see a picture of the hole, adapter and lock...

A round hole with a round adapter that accommodates a flat-sided lock has to be the craziest thing I've heard of....the round adapter is still going to spin in the round hole until you firmly affix the two. What materials are the lock adapter and door made from?

Good luck!
Agreed, they are simply drilling the holes and plugging in small black plastic sleeves to give you the oval fit of the door lock. The doors are the simple storage doors found on all trailers. Lightweight fiberglass with foam fill. The lock mechs have a nut that you can tighten but be very careful as is it only a low grade material that can and will strip. They are simply relying on the tension of that nut and the face of the lock to hold it in place. A simple turn of a flat head screwdriver will turn the entire cylinder and unlock your door. I guess this is why they finally went to a motor coach style lock mechanism on the newer model years.

I thought about cutting holes and installing them, but I am also not storing a genny or high dollar item in these holds so figured if someone wants my chairs and lights they can have it with minimal damage. Though it's pretty hard to turn my locks now.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 09-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #14

I'll add I'm very happy with my Global Link lock replacements. All my keys match now and the fully chromed precision lock body and threads (not cheesy, round-cornered pot metal) fit snugly in the cut-outs. You can crank the nut until you crush the door if you want... the price is very reasonable

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

And...if you don't have the the finger holds already.....these might add more surface tension and allow to increase the torque you can apply to the lock nut....(from my RV parts catalog or source online)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	9792

Good luck....
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote