Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #1

Heating/Thermostat Problems

Hello all, I hope one of you with more knowledge than me can help. I don't know if these problems are related?

2015 Eagle Premier 375BHFS with gas/electric heat and digital thermostat. Dual A/C with ducted air in the ceilings.

When using propane to heat the trailer, it works great, for a while. It will run a few cycles and get the internal temperature to the set point. Then it will not kick back on. We wake up cold every couple of hours and the internal temp is anywhere from 3-15 degrees below set point. If I turn the thermostat to off, then back to on, it immediately fires up and reaches the set temp.

Tried electric heat and it blows warm air out of the floor vents and cold air out of the ceiling ducts. Ran for 3 hours and internal temperature drop 7 degrees while running.

Please help, we are attempting to live in this full time but this is making it hard. Everyone we call says "bring it in and we will look at it". We would rather not pay for a hotel room while waiting for them to "figure it out".
zcloward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #2

Bad thermostat or control board?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #3

Cheap thermostats but if you have a heat pump on your unit there may not be many alternatives. I had problems with mine. Buy a thermostat with same part number (mine was labeled on the back). Put it in yourself paying attention to the wire colors and how they went on the old one. The hardest part is getting the right thermostat from the dealer. They don't stock all of them. Good luck.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Bad thermostat or control board?
That was my thought too. It sounds like the furnace is doing what it is supposed to (except when on electric. I can't speak to that unless it's designed for mild temps and gas for harsher temps.

As complex as a digital thermostat sounds, it's still an on/off switch with a temperature sensitive device inside of it telling it when to turn off or on. Like i tell my wife, turning it to 90 doesn't make the furnace run any harder or hotter, just longer. I would agree and start with what TWP723 said.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #5

You can test the Tstst heat operation by removing the cover then locate the red and white wires. Remove them from the terminals and twist the bare ends together, the fan should come on along with the heat. Let it run to get the heat up, if it shuts off during this test it could be the control board, if it keeps running try a new Tstat
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #6

When temp drops, have you tried adjusting the temp all the way down and then all the way up? You should hear the clicks in most thermostat when it turns furnace/ac on and off. If you don't hear the clicks, most likely the problem is in thermostat, if you do, but furnace does not react, the problem most likely would be on furnace side.

Jay flight Slx 174BH Baja
Ukrainian_Kozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #7

I had a problem with my Escape 5.0 furnace. It turned out to be the sail switch which detects if there is air running through the heat exchanger. It was interfering with a part of the furnace. Basically no moving air, no heat. A power reset fixed mine too. A new switch is cheap (like 6 bucks). You may want to check that... My board was flashing a code, but I could not determine what it meant.

I would have anything with the furnace checked out. You should still be under warrenty I would think...

Let us know what you find out...
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Itoddday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #8

I have tried the thermostat on A/C and electric heat and it seems to function correctly. I spent a while last night trying to locate the furnace. For the life of me I cannot find where it is at to see if I have a code flashing. Where should I look to find the furnace (on a Premier 375BHFS)?
zcloward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #9

Where does the exhaust exit? Maybe behind the water valve/switch panel?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #10

Look for something similar to what is in the picture here. This is the exhaust for the furnace. It will give you an idea where the furnace is actually located.
Attached Thumbnails
furnace-exhaust.jpg  
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Old 04-27-2017, 03:27 PM   #11

This may be it... highlighted in yellow. Access looks like it is through your storage.
Attached Thumbnails
L Storage access 1.JPG   L Storage access.jpg   L Storage access 2.JPG  
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Old 03-22-2021, 08:04 PM   #12

I'm coming into this discussion because my bedroom thermostat just stopped working for the heat pump and the propane heater. When I toggle through to HEAT, it won't go to the settings for ELECT or GAS. If I turn up the temp setting when it says just HEAT, nothing happens either way. I'm assuming maybe the stat has gone bad? I have two A/C, and two Stat's. The main cabin stat is working fine still...
2020 Precept 29V motorhome....
Thanks for your thoughts...
DanL (aka Tumbleweed)
Tumbleweed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:08 PM   #13

First question - does it still work for the air conditioner? It sounds like it is displaying the temperature meaning it is receiving power. Also, did it ever work for the heater/heat pump? I don't have a heat pump but the thermostats in my rig work slightly differently. My main area controls the front AC plus the furnace while the bedroom thermostat only controls the rear AC. Do you have more than one furnace?

Is this the stock thermostat or one you or someone else has installed. All a thermostat does is send 12 volts to different control wires that go to the AC or furnace. I am not an expert but it seams strange to have two separate thermostats if you only have one furnace. Could be done, just a little strange.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
First question - does it still work for the air conditioner? It sounds like it is displaying the temperature meaning it is receiving power. Also, did it ever work for the heater/heat pump? I don't have a heat pump but the thermostats in my rig work slightly differently. My main area controls the front AC plus the furnace while the bedroom thermostat only controls the rear AC. Do you have more than one furnace?

Is this the stock thermostat or one you or someone else has installed. All a thermostat does is send 12 volts to different control wires that go to the AC or furnace. I am not an expert but it seams strange to have two separate thermostats if you only have one furnace. Could be done, just a little strange.
Hello Jim,
The Precept RV has one furnace (as far as I know), two A/C on roof, and two T-stats. We had the RV in the shop for several weeks, getting the Norcold cooling unit replaced and steering stabilizer installed. Both A/C's have heat pumps, but I prefer the furnace. I thought that the rear A/C T-stat would control both the heat pump and the furnace (so as to re-direct the heat into the master bedroom vent, which is near the floor). It seems that, since I haven't used the bedroom T-stat for quite some time, perhaps I forgot how it works. I am going to try the bedroom A/C heat pump to confirm if it is working, then do more research concerning the furnace. I get your point about the 2 stats and 1 furnace, so it's a mystery to me at this point. We have had the Precept since October 2020, so haven't used it much (Norcold fridge was bad right after purchase, so couldn't take it anywhere for any length of time). Now that we have it back we are taking some trips and I'll get more familiar with the unit.
Perhaps I posted too quickly before doing more research. I think that the bedroom T-stat, when set to Heat/Gas, would simply turn on a second blower for the bedroom, or it would turn on the furnace and blower for the bedroom if the main cabin T-stat was not in the Heat-mode. Still have lots to learn, but this is what I recollect from prior usage/testing.
Thanks for your help.
DanL
Old 03-23-2021, 10:56 AM   #15

Well, I believe that I figured out the system....
The master bedroom T-stat is for the A/C in the bedroom (it does not have a heat pump), and the HEAT setting on the stat engages the furnace, same as the main cabin T-stat does. So basically it is a redundant HEAT switch for the furnace. No matter which stat I engage for the HEAT, the furnace will come on and all vents expel the air. It would be nice if the bedroom stat controlled a heat blower that was dedicated to the bedroom only, even if it still used just the one furnace. As it is now, I would think that the bedroom will get less heat than the rest of the cabin, which will make it a little uneven throughout the RV.
DanL