Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2016, 12:05 AM   #1

Help! We feel like it's falling apart!

We have a 2016 jayco jayflight 23mb - bought July 2015. This is our second time out (yes - I know...how could we?!) and we have had a slew of things happen that make it feel as though our brand new Rv is already falling apart! Here is the list so far

1) USB port charging center popped out of the wall again - this has been fixed twice already
2) the bottom of one of the wardrobes has almost completely fallen out. Nothing heavy in there, so it's odd.
3) strap to keep the Murphy bed down broke off
4) to top kitchen drawer is closing crooked - the top locks in while the bottom is still out.
5) the entire back portion of the dinette (the side that doesn't back up to a wall) popped off.
6) the bathroom faucet won't shut off. We had to turn the hot water off to keep it from running all day/night.

It's frustrating because we are brand new rv'ers and we truly want to love our jayco, but if this is what it's like on trip 2, what is it going to be like in a few years?! I'm sitting at a beautiful campground writing this - and hoping the last few days of our trip can be trouble free.
skdcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:30 AM   #2

It's terrible and frustrating you are having problems. All I can say is get an appointment with your dealer to have repairs made under warranty. Once you get the bugs worked out hopefully you will have many years of trouble free service.

I also know this doesn't mean much when your having all the problems you are but nearly any brand of RV can have issues at first, it's just how they build them. I've seen much longer lists of initial problems than you have.

Do you best to enjoy your trip then get her fixed.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #3

I'm living the same nightmare with my 2015 Travel trailer also bought in July. My list of current issues:
-USB charger does not work, replaced twice (wires hot, not sure what's going on here)
-dinette back separated from bench seat (currently reinforcing frame, damn near replacing the thing)
-wardrobe bottom fell out (reattached using 5/8" screws and wood glue)
-delaminated fiberglass front (huge issue, still working)
-shower curtain slide unscrewing from ceiling (added anchors)
-severe frame rust (Washington state rain; already bought POR-15 for painting)
TravelinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #4

I'm learning that a brand new TT needs a lot of preemptive work immediately after purchase. When I tell people about the delamination they immediately say I should have caulked the seams and resealed the roof. Others have told me I need to remove and upgrade the window seals. Some can't believe I haven't painted my trailer frame with rust resistant undercoating already. It blows my mind that a new purchase requires so much attention immediately upon purchase. Part of it is the quality of the trailers and the speed in which they come together. A quick search and you can see how they are built. I'll be attaching my modifications as I finish them, so keep an eye out. My solution for the dinette is to cut the bench closest to the door in half and I've already started.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMan View Post
I'm living the same nightmare with my 2015 Travel trailer also bought in July. My list of current issues:
-USB charger does not work, replaced twice (wires hot, not sure what's going on here)
-dinette back separated from bench seat (currently reinforcing frame, damn near replacing the thing)
I had a delam issue on my 27RLS. Jayco stepped right up and allowed me to have it repaired by an independent RV repair shop, close to my home. They shipped the entire panel and trim pieces directly to the shop. Once they had the panel removed, they found that it was NOT a water issue, but rather a gluing issue from the panel manufacturer.
Here is link to a picture of my front cap.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f4...sue-31328.html

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdcb View Post
We have a 2016 jayco jayflight 23mb - bought July 2015. This is our second time out (yes - I know...how could we?!) and we have had a slew of things happen that make it feel as though our brand new Rv is already falling apart! Here is the list so far

1) USB port charging center popped out of the wall again - this has been fixed twice already
2) the bottom of one of the wardrobes has almost completely fallen out. Nothing heavy in there, so it's odd.
3) strap to keep the Murphy bed down broke off
4) to top kitchen drawer is closing crooked - the top locks in while the bottom is still out.
5) the entire back portion of the dinette (the side that doesn't back up to a wall) popped off.
6) the bathroom faucet won't shut off. We had to turn the hot water off to keep it from running all day/night.

It's frustrating because we are brand new rv'ers and we truly want to love our jayco, but if this is what it's like on trip 2, what is it going to be like in a few years?! I'm sitting at a beautiful campground writing this - and hoping the last few days of our trip can be trouble free.
Yes, sometimes it does seem like that. However, Jayco is pretty good about warranty coverage, so that is in your favor.
In my opinion you need to take care of the small issues on your own, otherwise the trailer will stay far too long at the dealer. It can take them weeks to do even small repairs. Jayco will send the parts directly to you if you call them. Once you get through the new trailer issues you should be OK.

Just for comparison here is the list from my trailer.
No issues with appliances, IOW Refer, Heat, AC, Water, Etc have all been perfect. However...
1) Bedroom sliding door fell off on first trip - held up by 4 ridiculously small screws.
2) Rippling trim on both sides (outside) where the skirt meets the wall.
3) Bubble in front outside panel when it gets hot.
4) Slide bulb seal comes out of its track every time I close the slide.
5) Small leak in shower enclosure.
6) Lots of screws driven in at angles.
7) Had to put shutoff valves on fresh water overflow lines to prevent water from siphoning out when driving.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 04-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #7

I'm hoping Jayco helps me out, I already have an appointment to get it in the dealership it came from. I'm guessing they won't though because I am not the original owner. My neighbor bought it in July and then upgraded to a fifth wheel in November. Rather than trade it in, she gave me a great deal at slightly higher than what the dealership was offering for trade in value. Unfortunately we hit our rainy season after I bought it and once the temperatures warmed the front started bubbling. Jayco's warranty only covers original owners so I'm guessing I'll be paying. I don't want to high jack the OPs post, but thanks for your input.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #8

Frustrating yes but all is fixable. The USB port may need to be totally redone the rest should be easily fixed under warranty. Try to relax enjoy the rest of your trip. We all have experienced the feeling of being overwhelmed because we don't have the answers we need right at that second.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:30 PM   #9

Hopefully you bought your's from a reliable dealer who is willing to go over everything and get these things fixed for you. We have been blessed with a dealer who has been very responsive and great to work with in getting things fixed that needed to be. When someone at a campground asks my husband what he considers to be the best camper to purchase (by make and model), he always says its not so much that manufacturer as it is the dealer who sold it to you. You can have the best product out there but if you can't get service from your dealer, it will drive you crazy. If you have a responsive and cooperative dealer to work with, you can get all your headaches fixed and be a happy camper as we are!!!l Good luck!
YooperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #10

Thanks!!

Thanks so much for all your words of kindness & advice! We made it through the rest of our trip without any huge breakdowns. The RV is clean & ready to go to the shop as soon as we can get an appointment. Essentially I created a punch-list for them so hopefully nothing gets missed. It was really helpful reading your posts -- I could not figure out how to respond on the mobile site. Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Another Washingtonian!! We were on vacation at Deception Pass when trouble struck, but are normally from Eastern WA. Always nice to know we're not alone - either with problems or in the state!
Old 04-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdcb View Post
snip... I created a punch-list for them so hopefully nothing gets missed. ...snip
I had a punch list, too, when I took mine in the first time for warranty repairs. When we went through the unit when I dropped it off, my dealer put blue 'painter's tape' at each 'problem'; counter top trim gap, one stove igniter didn't work, one of the blinds was loose, etc. The next time I took it in for a couple of additional items, I put the blue tape on before I dropped it off.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #13

No 2nd owner warranty

If you're still in good relation with your neighbor perhaps you could ask him to take it back to the dealer where he bought it and get the delamination fixed. Just don't mention he sold it
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #14

I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind to do so, but I just can't do it. At 15 years in the Army, I've been brainwashed into believing that I simply can't compromise my integrity. All these patriotic Americans shaking my hand and thanking me for my service have inovertantly made me way too proud and honored to serve. It's a crappy warranty, void by technicality, and I really wish Jayco stood behind their product regardless of the owner. However, I'm just paying for the repair and using this as a learning lesson before I buy the next TT.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #15

Quote:
I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind to do so, but I just can't do it. At 15 years in the Army, I've been brainwashed into believing that I simply can't compromise my integrity. All these patriotic Americans shaking my hand and thanking me for my service have inovertantly made me way too proud and honored to serve. It's a crappy warranty, void by technicality, and I really wish Jayco stood behind their product regardless of the owner. However, I'm just paying for the repair and using this as a learning lesson before I buy the next TT.
I am not sure that I agree with your moral argument, since as you said, this is really a technicality.
Now, if you knew there was some issue with that trailer/truck/whatever and where trying to unload it on an unsuspecting buyer, then yes, I could understand the moral conflict.
If I sell mine before the warranty expires, I am going to use that as a selling point. IOW, "if you have an issue, bring it back and I will take it to the dealer for you".

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 04-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #16

Good point. I really regret not reading the warranty better before hand. I assumed it was like a vehicle with a warranty based on time. I tried to save a few bucks by buying slightly used and I'm quickly approaching the price of a new one.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:13 PM   #17
Site Team

Help! We feel like it's falling apart!

I'm with TravelinMan. Personal integrity is important and hard to find in these days.
IMO the one owner warranty is not a technicality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote