Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #1

How to remove the furnace?

I have a 2006 JayFlight 27.5 RLS fifth wheel. The furnace blows warm but not hot air. I spent 3 hours trying to remove the furnace today to service it with no luck. There is no access panel on the outside of the camper, just an exhaust port. I removed the screws in the exhaust port and removed the grill under the fridge to access the unit. I have unscrewed the mounting brackets, gas line and removed the ducts. The unit will not pull out. It seems to be attached to the exhaust, which will not pull away on the outside of the camper either.

The local RV tech told me I need to take the screws out of the exhaust and remove the exhaust.... but there are no screws outside except for the four on the exhaust cover.

Has anyone successfully removed their furnace? Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

James
Jimi719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #2

Isn't there a screw in the center of the exhaust that is accessible once the cover is removed?
Old 11-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #3

Inside the exhaust pipe? Not that I can see. The exhaust pipe itself is riveted to the exhaust cover. It looks like a 2 piece exhaust (two 6" pieces fitted together) so I thought it might pull apart, but it won't. its a bit rusty in the pipe. I put a lot of force on it with no luck.
Jimi719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:21 PM   #4

Has anyone figured out how to remove this furnace. I need to get mine out.
Glenda829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

James,

Welcome to JOF

The tech is correct, remove the 4 screws holding the chrome exhaust/pipe cover assembly to the outside wall. The cover/pipe assembly has to be removed before attempting removal of the furnace. Behind most chrome exhaust cover assemblies there is a black plastic housing insert that protects the wall from the hot exhaust pipe..., this housing doesn't need to be removed but may come out with the chrome cover assembly (no big deal).

Using a putty knife, screw driver, etc., start working loose (removing, etc.) the old sealer putty around the chrome cover from the wall surface which will allow for an easier removal of the cover/pipe assembly from the furnace's inner exhaust pipe.

There is a short exhaust pipe attached to the chrome cover assembly that is pushed into (slip fit) an inner furnace exhaust pipe..., it takes a little careful wiggling and gentle pulling of the chrome cover to seperate the two pipes. It will help that the furnace isn't secured to its wood base.

If you have a rectangular cover, 'most' have a straight short pipe (see pic) attached to the cover......, if you have a square cover assembly (see pic) most have a short pipe with a slight bend in it.

This is what your attempting to remove:

Hope this helps.....

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 10:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
James,

Welcome to JOF

The tech is correct, remove the 4 screws holding the chrome exhaust/pipe cover assembly to the outside wall. The cover/pipe assembly has to be removed before attempting removal of the furnace. Behind most chrome exhaust cover assemblies there is a black plastic housing insert that protects the wall from the hot exhaust pipe..., this housing doesn't need to be removed but may come out with the chrome cover assembly (no big deal).

Using a putty knife, screw driver, etc., start working loose (removing, etc.) the old sealer putty around the chrome cover from the wall surface which will allow for an easier removal of the cover/pipe assembly from the furnace's inner exhaust pipe.

There is a short exhaust pipe attached to the chrome cover assembly that is pushed into (slip fit) an inner furnace exhaust pipe..., it takes a little careful wiggling and gentle pulling of the chrome cover to seperate the two pipes. It will help that the furnace isn't secured to its wood base.

If you have a rectangular cover, 'most' have a straight short pipe (see pic) attached to the cover......, if you have a square cover assembly (see pic) most have a short pipe with a slight bend in it.

This is what your attempting to remove:

Hope this helps.....

Bob
This is what I needed Bob, thanks. One question - - - mine is the bent pipe in the top picture. It does not come out easily, and I wasn't sure if I could just wiggle & pull with some force to remove or if it was screwed into the inside somewhere.

I've got a lot of wasp nests in there and I need to fully remove it to clean it out. I might just buy a new one.

Thanks,
Ryan
ryno71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 04:11 PM   #7

If you have wasp nest issues I would suggest once you get it cleaned out and reassembled get you a screen to go over the exhaust to keep the pest out.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno71 View Post
snip.......mine is the bent pipe in the top picture. It does not come out easily, and I wasn't sure if I could just wiggle & pull with some force to remove or if it was screwed into the inside somewhere.
Ryan,

Mine is the bent pipe version as well...., no screws on the inside.

My exhaust pipe was a pretty tight 'snug fit' and required a good amount of 'wiggle/pull' to remove. In my case the exhaust pipe was jammed against the wall 'cutout hole'....., which wasn't centered with the furnace inlet pipe (clearance hole off by 5/16" ).

I had to enlarge the wall cutout hole to insure the exhaust pipe would line-up with the furnace inlet pipe (reference Post #1 in following link).

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ion-73590.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote