Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #1

Insect problem in 2014 Jayco

Below is what I sent Jayco, and their response. The dealer I bought from is ten hours away, and he said to get a quote from an exterminator and they may approve. He would not talk about any damage...I am at a loss. Anybody had any similar problems? Any sugestions?

I need immediate attention with an insect infestation in my new Jayco Seneca. I bought in mid-January from ( XX ). I have had the coach garage kept since I bought, and on Saturday (3/29/14), I decided we were past the point of getting any more freezing temperatures. So I got the rv out of the garage and put near my house to put water in the tank, and try out everything. I saw a few big red ants. Then some with wings. Then something that looks like termites. I spent the whole weekend vacuuming all that I saw. I decided to leave the unit outside for a few days, since I didn't want the bugs in my garage. I had to go out of town for business (In fact I am still in New York working). We were getting the unit ready for an upcoming Disney World trip. My wife just called me and sent some pictures and videos of the problem now. There are hundreds- if not thousands of them now. I do not know where they are coming from inside the unit. I need this taken care of as soon as possible. I'm not sure if there is any damage or not yet, but I need someone to take care of this problem. (For information: this problem existed before I bought my motorhome, and this is very serious)

From Jayco:
Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting Jayco Customer Service.

Unfortunately the warranty does not cover insect infestations. You will need to contact your local exterminator for an insect infestation.

If you need further assistance please contact Jayco Customer Service.

Sincerely,

Kristy Brown
Jayco, Inc.
Jayco Customer Service
ECGManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #2

Personally, I'd collect a few of the ants in a jar of alcohol and check with an exterminator or agricultrual extension office to see if they are a local problem. If you have a way of determining where the ants came from I think that may help your case but I'd also foot the bill for an exterminator before the problem gets worse. Did your dealer document (in writing) the issue on delivery?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #3

Carpenter ants are a possibility, hopefully not. They could be coming from inside the walls, if there is wet wood somewhere. Carpenter ants eat wet wood and are destructive like termites. You can hear them chewing in the walls if its a bad enough infestation.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #4

Iraqvet05, the dealer said nothing.
ECGManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #5

ECG, you mentioned in your letter to Jayco that the issue existed before you purchased the motorhome. When you mentioned this to the dealer prior to purchase, they did not document the issue or do anything about it?

Personally I would not have accepted delivery with an insect issue.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
ECG, you mentioned in your letter to Jayco that the issue xisted before you purchased the motorhome. When you mentioned this to the dealer prior to purchase, they did not document the issue or do anything about it?

I agree with that comment 100% and the dealer shouldn't have accepted it either.

Having been at the factory and the fact the unit was probably built and delivered when the temps in Indiana were at freezing or below, unless it's been in the dealers inventory for a while, I doubt very much they came along for the ride.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
ECG, you mentioned in your letter to Jayco that the issue existed before you purchased the motorhome. When you mentioned this to the dealer prior to purchase, they did not document the issue or do anything about it?

I did not see the op mention that there was a problem befor taking delivery. Did I miss that somewhere?
TakeItEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECGManager View Post
. (For information: this problem existed before I bought my motorhome, and this is very serious)
This is from his original post
Old 04-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
This is from his original post
Yep there it is. Thanks.
TakeItEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #10

That's a bummer for sure. Sorry.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:33 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Don't focus on who is to blame right now. Document everything and call a professional exterminator to deal with the problem. Focus on that for now. Afterwards, you can argue your case to the dealer, Jayco or who ever. They may turn a blind eye but at least your insect problem will be solved and you will have peace of mind using your RV.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:21 AM   #12

Ants have 3 body segments, termites have two (a head and an elongated body). I dealt with a group of little black ants that decided to call our RV home. For the ants that are attracted to bait, this stuff worked like a champ: http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/in...-oz-p-411.html
Termites require a professional.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:31 AM   #13

Had the small army ants in our previous pop-up last year. First time infestation since owning the camper in 2005. Took multiple sprays and vacuuming to remove dead surface ants. Ants were everywhere and in every corner of the frame. Had to get an exterminator to finish the job and even after that, the ants were falling out of the framework trim. Eventually had to drill some holes in the upper frame trim pieces to vacuum out the dead ants. After that, I still saw dead and live ants for some time. It was mostly a nuisance but the worst part was that we never felt the same about the camper after that.
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:36 AM   #14

sorry, didn't mean to sound like a downer. just was not a good experience. i agree that you need to focus on stopping and removing what's there now and deal with the dealer later.
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #15

So..... I wonder how it turned out???
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #16

I keep NO PEST STRIPS in my rv when it's stored so that if any insect gets in, it won't get out! Also, spray RAID around the bottoms of the tires so nothing can crawl in from the ground.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #17

Try buying one of those electronic repellers. I have the one made buy Riddex and it works great.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote