Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #1

Intermittent wet floor

I have a 2013 Octane ZX 26' box Toy Hauler. I broke it in last weekend. I have an intermittent leak under the kitchen sink? I have looked everywhere. It will only leak when I am not looking for the leak. Sink, bathtub are back to back. and the pump and filter is under the cabinet drawers. I have dried everything, put paperr towels on floor, but still cannot find where the leak is coming from. The leaks have occurred with the on board water pump in serrvice. I know it is under warranty, BUT I want to know where the elak is coming from and do not want to lose use of my RV for many days/weeks. Any tips for locating leaks will be helpful. Before I start taking things apart. I WILL FIND THIS LEAK, LOL.

Thanks Guys, Tis looks like a great site.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe wrap some tissues around all connections and see which one gets wet?
Frustrating
Let us know what you find.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #3

Have someone turn the a tap on and off while you are underneath looking... I will bet it is the pressure change that is causing the leak...
I had that with my toilet... every time I took it to the dealer he could not find the leak... finally I got the leak on video... but have not had the problem since I installed an accumulator tank by the water pump...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Have someone turn the a tap on and off while you are underneath looking... I will bet it is the pressure change that is causing the leak...
I had that with my toilet... every time I took it to the dealer he could not find the leak... finally I got the leak on video... but have not had the problem since I installed an accumulator tank by the water pump...
I agree. Look when it is being turned off/on
2 spoiled rotten Scotties
skymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #5

In addition to already mentioned items, it's possible that there is not a plumbing leak per se, but that the base of the faucet is leaking where it fastens to the sink. This could result in splash water leaking around the faucet and into the cabinet below. To check for this, dry everything up and then pour a small amount of water around the base of the faucet and check for leaks below.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #6

Extreme patience, persistence, and a good, bright flashlight! Thought we had a plumbing leak in our WhiteHawk 27DSRL when I saw water dripping off a screw (that secures sidewall to the floor I guess) that protruded through the under side of the floor. The screw was covered with sealant, but the water was dripping out of the sealant. Prepared to find something awful and catastrophic, started sleuthing with the wife's help, and discovered it wasn't a plumbing leak at all but water getting past the shower enclosure on the panel closest to the bathroom sink. When in use, the water was getting through the gasket between the glass and frame, running over the top edge of the shower pan, onto the floor, under the vanity cabinet, and out through the gap between the wall and the floor, then out on the ground around this screw. Took a lot of time to figure out, but once discovered, the fix was easy (re-caulked the entire interior of the shower, including a bead of silicone on the sides and bottom of the gasket the glass panels are seated in within the enclosure frame. Haven't had the chance to test it yet, but pretty confident I have it fixed. Along the way, I learned that virtually all the water lines for this trailer are within the living area (under the kitchen and bath cabinets) and not in the belly.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #7

Every opportunity that you have, take pics (even after the leak if you don't see it happening). Contact your dealer or Jayco and start a paper trail. Our dealer and/or Jayco has pics of all issues/concerns that we had in the first two years. Paid off in the long run.

Good luck and hope you figure out what's up... also... welcome to the JOF
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
Maybe wrap some tissues around all connections and see which one gets wet?
X2, we had a leak just like that in the bathroom. We had it in a number of times and they could not replicate it. So I used toilet paper, and a tiny amount of scotch tape (if necessary). Wrapped a small amount around both the fresh water supply and the sewer connections, along with placing a thin layer across all horizontal sewer pipes (directly under the sink looking for sink leaks). Then add paper in other areas to see if it is coming for some other location (ie a different fitting behind the wall somewhere).

I took a lot of photos and never did actually find the leak. But after the third trip to the dealer, I told them to take it all apart and redo both the sewer and fresh water pipes in the area. Since they did that I never had a leak. My suspicion was a sewer connection leak at a Tee.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #9

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
I found water in the kitchen cabinet under the sink, thought we had a leak but as it turned out the plumbers putty that was supposed to seal the drain was not evenly spread around the drain ring. Just took it apart and re-installed the putty and it no longer leaks.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #10

Be sure to check the drain fittings under the sink. Many times they have been left loose or have loosened in travel.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote